AI Aggression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhino_WJB, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That line in the AI code that reads, "Drive recklessly and try smash the human driver at every opportunity = 1", any chance this could be changed to, "Drive recklessly and try smash the human driver at every opportunity = 0"?

The AI aggression is keeping me away from R3E at the moment. If you're racing with the pack, contact, and often heavy race-ending contact, is almost guaranteed. I'm quite surprised AI behaviour is not a more common point of discussion on the forum. At the moment, I'm having to re-start 9 out of 10 races after the first few turns, owing to totally unnecessary, over aggressive driving by the AI. I've had less banging with the AI in Wreckfest, and I'm not joking!

Having had a few races recently in rF2 against AI, and with the aggression slider at 50%, I found the racing is hard, consistent and clean(ish): much closer to real life. R3E would benefit from an AI aggression slider greatly in my opinion. Keep up their race pace, but lessen by a considerable margin the amount of crashing in to each other and in to Player 1.

I really enjoy my time with Raceroom, but this AI behaviour and constant wrecking is too much to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Maybe that's because others, like myself, don't make the same experiences as you?

What AI setting (adaptive or fixed, which value), class/car, track are you referring to?

3. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    hmm never really had an issues like this .. using fixed AI setting (non adaptive) on 98 and higher ... yes they brake early on some corners, but I would say they are sometimes overly cautious..
    I consider it one of better AIs in racing games ..

4. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I generally have the AI set to 100%. The issue does not appear to be specific to any particular class or circuit combination. I often run single races, on various tracks with various cars, as opposed to Championships.

Every corner they dive-bomb and move off line even just going down straights. It's like they don't see or acknowledge the Player (or each other).

Example, just recently, I tried a few races as Spa. T1 was utter carnage, time after time. They even smashed into the pit wall on the right hand side of the straight immediately after T1 numerous times, again, ending the session (cars everywhere). Trying to get round just 1 lap of Spa was a total chore, never mind an entire race.

5. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    do you have video ? perhaps you are braking too soon or having issues driving 2 -3 cars wide .. my AI drives pretty much like here (havent watched whole clip so if something crazy happends after 4-5 minute)

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Kinda suspected it to be Spa or Paul Ricard. :D
    Sorry mate, nothing personal.

Actually, and espcially on those tracks they are kind of too aware of each other and they try to use all the corridor the track boundaries allow them to, that's why they behave particularly "wild" on those two circuits, and some others.
    That being said, AI is constantly being worked on and some of those things mentioned above have been reported by us.

I can only suggest to give adaptive AI a shot, works astoundingly well for me. Of course they sometimes hit me and there sometimes is t1 carnage, but that's the exception and not the norm for me.
    Do 2 or 3 short races with a certain class on a circuit. After that the AI should be dialed in for that class on that circuit. See if you like the results better.

Note that open-wheeler AI works a whole lot differently than the "regular" one, they try to avoid contact much more.

7. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Not a solution for your problem, but I've got the impression that the AI is very good and not want to push ones car or crash into it. The AI is just not so good in avoiding accidents. These accidents happen if the AI is better than you, so slow pace, early breaking or different lines are just not expected and end in a crash. If you are on the same level/pace the AI is in fact really great! I think it's the same as online racing: If you are on the same level with the other guys everything works out great; late braking, taking corners wide or close side to side or driving close to each other within the slipstream... but if you drive together with someone that is not on your skill level or just doesn't know the track/car that good accidents will happen, because the close racing is just not that predictable.

8. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @Ouvert: I was considering doing a video actually, but don't have a capture device, nor the time or patience to spending free time doing such things. If I have free time, I'm either racing on PC, spending time with my brother in Destiny else doing some piano practice.

@Christian: Interesting comment about AI being "dialled in". You mean they adapt/learn per circuit, based on experience?

For balance, I just turned a few laps on Brands and Monza, in different cars. They were not so aggressive and wasn't as much contact, so maybe this is something specific to car/track combinations. I said it wasn't specific previously, as the past few races I had attempted had ended in total frustration at having to continually re-start after being spun out, rammed or knocked off the track.

@Thomas: You could well be right, my pace might be part of the problem. Generally though where the racing is clean, I'm setting fastest laps and getting through to the top places with AI at 100%. That said, my pace, line, braking points etc. should not really be a factor. If I take a different line, they should still see me and act accordingly. Same with braking points. If the AI brakes earlier than me for instance, I don't just run in to them and say, "your bad". I try react to the given situation, which is something the AI should be doing, rather than blindly forcing their way through braking zones or pitting my car, just so they can run their own lines. They have to adapt to the immediate circumstances else they're just glorified Scalextrics.

9. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Thx for sharing my videos ;-) that the ai is smashing into the wall at spa second pit entry i only know this happens with the Formula ai very often at the first or second lap...

10. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @Rhino_WJB no problem .. just hard to judge without seeing it ... Adaptive AI will adjust itself to your pace.. it takes time though, you need to run practice sessions ...

11. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's an issue of pace, more an issue of general awareness.

12. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    If you aren't using crew chief, it is highly recommended.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    try deleting this,a new one will be created
    C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1\aiadaptation

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @Cosmic: I am using Crew Chief, and it's outstanding.

@XXVI: I shall, thank you.

15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

TBH, even if I find the IA pretty good ( with fixed value, 110-120, depends of the combo), sometimes, on some tracks it can have weird behavior.
    Yesterday I did some training @ suzuka with GTR3 cars. At one moment I did overtake a car just after spoon curv, I was on the right side of the track. On nearly half the straight line the IA kept trying to go on the right side, were I was, bumping me hardly. Only after the third contact between us it stopped.
    It was anything about agression or pace (they strangely were 15sec slower than me !).. but more about the awareness of me being there.

On the other side, I like the true agressivity of FR2 series IA. It makes me feel as if I am in the middle of a GP2 driver pack.. against young drivers that need to show their speed to prove their value and begin a carrier in Formula1

16. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Awareness could be the key to this.

I wish I had videos to show AI behaviour on some corners. It's like they all want their inside wheel on the apex, totally irrespective of the whether another car has the corner or not. Huge cramming and heavy crashing in the process. It's not limited to corners though: many times I've been driving perfectly straight on a straight-away, only for the car alongside to swerve off line and end my race.

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    What XXVI suggested, aiadaptation file might get corrupted on rare occasions.

Adaptive AI adapts to your pace on a much more precise level than those fixed values provide. What it basically does is calculate a mean of your best laps during a race. If you do another race a new mean will be created and factored in with your first mean, so the more races you do (with a consistent pace) the AI will get closer to your performance with every race.
    There is a spread tho, some AI will be slightly faster than your mean pace, some will be slightly slower.
    And yes, it works on a class/track basis.

EDIT: Their awareness isn't perfect, and it shouldn't be as it's supposed to imitate real drivers and nobody has total awareness. But there's always room for improvement in that department, as I said it's being worked on.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  18. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    That's fitting perfectly to my experience with GTR2, I reported lately.

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    This usually happens if you have the AI set to high.
    I almost never have an issue with the AI, only happen if I'm on an unfamiliar track or in a new car class I haven't raced before.

20. Martin93

Martin93 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Only times I can have problem with the AI if if I make a mistake that makes me slow in a corner, then the AI dont always care and just crash you from behind. But in general I have no problems with them.