Apex hunt, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by .OG Isaac, Nov 6, 2015.

1. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Does it even still exist? I can't find it anymore..

It used to be pretty fun, but now it's gone!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Apex Hunt was dropped a while ago, for good.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    And that was baad.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    It was fun :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I hope they'll re-implement it at a later stage... was fun and useful to have a mild "learning school" ala gtr2 for the newcomers

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
  7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I'm new with Raceroom.
    Can anybody tell me the reason why they stopped with this great aspect.
    I did it once by a friend of mine but when i startet with raceroom the apex hunt was/is gone.
    :D
    I hope they bring it back and I think that when they bring it back as an DLC that they wil be suprised how many people will buy it.
    I'm sure that I will buy it.
    :);)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    after the menu overhaul they just got rid of it I think.

Probably not allot of people playing it

9. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    under use. no one used it, why would you when you have leader board challenge that does the same thing but better, pick a fast guys lap and turn off ghost car and you get apex hunt back.

10. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It's not exactly the same imo. Nice thing about apex hunt was that you had a finite set of tasks to fulfill. Different track and car combos. You got a nice motivating progress.

With competitions you are one entry of N. Now it is cool, but at same time it's very abstract. Unless you are really crazy good, you will never be in top 10. And with leaderboards you have more or less infinite combinations.

So apex hunt gave a nice "beatable" set of tasks, touching various content.

I wish the game had more such things. Let's say competition/leaderboard would give you stars for every top quarter. I like unlocking things. Not need crazy amounts of achievements. But say dirt rally with its career unlocking cars is nice. You get the full content without it. But career mode gives you purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  11. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    In order for your suggestion to be better, there would have to be a reasonable # of car types per track, each and every track. Right now just checking 3-5 tracks there was at best 1 lap recorded, 3 laps had a gtr3 corvette time... what if you only run another series? Since the new physics update all leaderboard laps were wiped clean.
    Previous comp. that I checked had no challenge button next to any of the entries. I am not sure if that is how previous challenges are saved or it was not a feature with past competitions.

While your suggestion would work, it needs to be a complete database for all tracks and all different car series.

So, either bring back apex hunt or repopulate all leaderboard for all tracks and all series
    Rich
    [Edit]my bad, I am not entirely accurate, I had the gt3 corvette selected, that does limit the choices, I did notice 5he many more tracks have gt3 entries, which is nice, not sure about the less powered cars such as the sillottes (sp?)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    :( Sooo disappointed ... saw the ability to assign this Apex Hunt to a key in the controls menu and then went searching via google and found all these cool videos about it and watched a couple. I thought, this is so awesome :D what a novel & very excellent feature to have ~ man I was so excited to go try it out ..... THEN ! ..... BAM .... smacked back to reality with the realisation it had been dumped ... Good Grief ~ I felt absolutely gutted ~ never even got to try it :oops:

Hate it so much when features are taken away from anything - doesn't matter if only 20 people liked it - if it was there it should have stayed there ! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Would like to see it return if only with every new track released, as simply the best way to learn a new track. With the flatter tracks (and not being a pro race driver) some lines can take an awful lot of track time to find and perfect but found with pex hunt I had the line quickly and it was just a case of fine tuning to my own personal driving style (herbie x Reginald Molehusband) but if it's a step back in development then sod it, upwards on onwards!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I remember when I first started this game. I would be drenched in sweat, I would concentrate and try so hard, both phsycally and mentally. Now it's a Sunday drive. It's from experience. There are times I focus more (tough car/track combos, online competition....), but it's more relaxing in general now.

I inquired about the Apex Hunt after I started R3E. At that time, it worked on some tracks, but not the newer tracks.

Looking back, it had mixed benefits. For Fun factor as a new driver, it was awesome. I hit the track trying to sprint!
    First, you have to KNOW HOW to practice using Apex hunt. I didn't. Back then....I just wanted to beat a time....anyone's time.

I can drive around a racetrack and memorize every braking point and the lines. Then I go around and around doing the same time after same time. But, has everyone noticed - it only takes you so far?

Part of the skills you need is picked up when you try to look for ways to become a better driver.
    Watching R3E youtubers, Real race car youtubes, special driving schools on youtube, leaderboard challenges, ghost cars ....basically, doing the research and unknowingly becoming analytical in your approach.
    Your car is changing when you have tire wear on...and with fuel use coming up....you have to adapt and you analyze your options to make the car handle the way you want. Brake sooner? less throttle? later apex? Hire the Stig?......

A year later, with lessons learned and unlearned......
    I can say Ah!................
    I know why we brake here....car gets too unstable to make that type of corner, if I brake later.......
    Or, the braking point is here, rather than there, because it sets you up for a good fast exit....
    Or, why does someone apex here instead of there...........
    Or, throttle input, here can be firm, here more gradual..............
    You can experiment to gain time overall.

It's also the experience gained in trying different combinations of brake/throttle in various styles of corners, over a length of time that familiarizes, you, with driving skills, not racing skills. Driving, holding a specific line becomes easier. You steer, use the brake and throttle to make the car behave the way you want. You don't want to do the same as a result of your car's behavior, then you are always a step behind.

Somehow, I think that if the Apex Hunt had stayed, I would be sitting here saying...Why can't I go faster? I hit all the braking markers and lines?!!! A bad habit I had to untrain myself from.....Looking at a point for everything, rather than looking far up the road. That was hard to untrain myself...and I still catch myself staring at a braking marker as I'm almost on top of it, instead of looking in front of me.

It could be a great learning tool in driving seminars. Set with conservative braking points.
    I would even take it a step further, Lets say you run 5 laps. On the 6th lap, turn 1 braking marker no longer appears.
    On lap 7 or 8, turn 2 brake marker no longer appears.....so on and so forth until no braking markers and even the driving line gradually disappears on their own. Conceivably, in 1 practice session, you could know how to drive the course, quick but safe. Then the fun begins for the extra speed.

But I gotta say, I did like Apex Hunt. :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  15. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I get what you say there Azfalt ;) I actually have many years real & sim experience driving and racing and took part in a number of advanced driving courses over several weeks on closed tracks back in my younger days. My disappointment was only because I saw it as a fun & interesting diversion from the main purpose of racing.

But you can learn to drive fast as you say and it is not so good to learn any bad habits for braking & accelerating because the fastest line for me is not always the one the last guy took. Running the leaderboard challenges against hotlaps of faster drivers is really good and I appreciate that feature which is in few other race sims.

It just looked like a really fun idea to play about with sometimes but you know it doesn't really matter too much ! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    i like the apex hunt because its good to test your own limit. Maybe someday it come back..HOPE ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    it is more annoying that it is still available in the menu to assign a button. If it is not there any longer, please remove it. It confuses people who are new to raceroom and haven't done reaserach in the forum and looking for a feature that got removed a while ago.

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This redundancy was added to the bug database a while ago. I guess it's one of those things that won't be fixed seperately (cause it doesn't hurt the actual game) but rather when there is work being done on those menu pages anyway. So I'm pretty sure it will be removed eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    And the time\effort it takes to rem out a line of code so it dosnt show in game is what, 1 minute, open editor, rem\del line and save, job done.
    I guess theres no money to be made here !

20. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    The amount of time it takes depends great on how the menus are implemented, particularly when it comes to a scrolling keybind menu.

In addition, as Christian pointed out, it's been reported already. When working your way through various coding activities it generally doesn't make much sense to just hop around in various areas doing tiny tasks all day as looking through the code to find the right location often takes longer than any programmer would like it to. It generally makes significantly more sense to simply check a bug list and/or task list associated with a feature you are already currently working on when you finally get around to that particular feature instead of hopping around.

So is it potentially a quick fix? Yes. Is it worth breaking away from other things when it doesn't even impact most users and you aren't doing any work on the menus currently? No.

• Agree Agree x 1