Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, May 31, 2018.

1. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Oh, thanks!

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    It was switched off in the past due to the need of solving "issues" with it. Don't know whether it was turned on again meanwhile.

On the modding policy in ACC, see my post above with quote of Kunos. It makes sense.
    And the licensing of a series also may have something to do with it as far as modding regarding skins, cars, etc is concerned, I dont know.

Note: they do not actively ban modding in general (said Marco Massarutto), they just do not support modders and do not help them out this time, like they did in AC1. Its up to modders to see what they can make of it - or not. However, being no coder myself, I am not aware what that shared memory thing is that Scout refers to, if it is an issue of legal validity as implied by Scout, they of course will not support copyright infringements or any NDA they may have needed to sign for the Blancpain licensing deal - nor should they or any other studio be expected to do so.

Its the status as present now. Future development after the free season DLC for the new season is not yet specified. Like I do not rule out for all time that there will be a Mordschleife, maybe future products basing on ACC as is today will change modding policies. But that is my speculation - Kunos has not said so. For the time being, it is like it is.

3. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I don't get why Kunos does limiting the data for 3rd party apps. They have full Motec support but sending infos through an API like the gap to the leader is too much to ask for? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I think that's a bit harsh. :smirk:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Shared Memory is basically a data structure a program (simulator) exposes to other applications to read. This is how most application get their data from simulators.

The problem with AC and ACC is that this information is very limited, i.e. it doesn't contain any information about non-players cars. This might be enough for some dash applications, than only show stuff like gear/speed/rpm, but for CrewChief and other apps, this is just not enough.

In AC there was a way to work around it, as AC has support for plugins, and plugins have access to more information that is available by defualt in the shared memory. So you could write a plugin (which you then copy to the AC plugin folder), which read the information available to the plugin and write they to your own 'shared memory', which the application then also read.

ACC doesn't have custom plugin support. So you cannot work around the limited data available in the default shared memory this way. So, the only feasable way is for Kunos to finally provide a shared memory structure that is actually usable. Hell, when F1 2018 from Codemaster provide more and better information than a premier sim racing title, then something is very wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    For me this "no modding strategy" is quite good. Tbh i came to raceroom, because AC was at the end only searching, trying, deleting of different mods.

Like in rf2 today its really hard to find a server with the mods installed, which i had on...

No-Modding is defenetly easier to handle. (I speak of series, tracks and liveries)

6. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    This is what I don't get. They can't use the "esports/competitive" excuse, because afaik crewchief works fine with iracing (feel free to correct me if I'm worng there).

Which brings me back to my post a few pages back. This title still feels like it is in beta stage. Much as I love the sim, IMHO its full release should have been delayed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    For me it also feels like a time/priority thing, than a cheating/fairness thing. The fairness doesn't make sense. It is not like crewchief, or any other app, is telling you any kind of magical secrets that will make you faster. It is just quality of live improvements, of not to have to stare at timing all the time to see if I'm faster, or doing the fuel calculation by myself why racing.
    And it especially doesn't make sense, when you have motec export, which is the thing that will make the guys who know how to read that data faster.
    And also, these are modern GT3s ffs, not a local mazda club race. All this stuff is available to real drivers as well.

Tbh, in AC, as developer, I didn't really mind the barebones API, as everyting outside driving in AC is barebones. The session options, there is no inbuild day/weather settings, the UI is minimalistic, even the initial content is not that great. There it is obvious that the vast majority of effort wast spent on the handling and driving experience. Which, in the end, is what matter mosts, especially when you have in open platform. And the focus on driving made AC the great sim it is.

But for ACC it is more than a nuisance. You have this capable engine, you have the full license, you have all the race options, you try to focus on simulation, and you know sim guys love their apps... yet they keep the API so limited.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    1.0.3 in public beta now. Amongst other things: "Revamped controller options menu, allowing keyboard, direct-input and X-input customization."

:) They are reading the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Exiled Scotsman

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Good to see them addressing issues.

But that kind of stuff should have been well established pre-1.0.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Well, no native triple support, no VR support, no 3rd party app support, isn't looking good so far is it ;-)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Is there any possibillity to make Headtracking working with ACC ? My interest has almost vanished but with that option I would give it another attempt. The next best candidate beneath R3E and DR 2.0 will be rF2 probably (similar Features but more interesting content - lets be honest: ACC = Another GT3 runner, even with some eyecandy and some other shiny stuff, even with realtime weather etc.doesn't blow me away exactly and from what I read ACC creates more issues than generating pure joy ;) )

12. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    That's the problem... from what you have read. Just try it yourself.
    I have very much fun and little to no issues with this sim. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for issues, I mean some people only seem to exist to get the magnifying glass out.
    Immersion is second to none.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Exiled Scotsman

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    For many, me included, 0.7.2 was actually better in terms of FPS, especially in VR, which seems to be not supported now(?).

For a lot of people, 1.0 dropped very shiny things into a complete mess. The "mess" should not have been released at the state it was in. For some, it is more of a case that the magnifying glass is being thrown right into the consumer's face.

Going full-on <sarcasm> here:
    Having heavy rain at Spa with 20 opponents should NOT be played like a Powerpoint presentation.
    But hey, mouse support in botched VR is great!
    </sarcasm>

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Same here

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Maybe we should aks them to remove it again. Too late is too late.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I drive it exclusively in VR.
    Rocky start, but looking better and better. Many things it already does better than anyone else. ;-)
    Your sarcasm is not needed here. I have practically thes ame system specs like you, and I can drive not 20 but 29 opponents at Spa at night in heavy rain - and in VR. ASW works wonders.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Unless you missed it VR compatibility was pulled from the Steam Store therefore there is no VR support, the reason being is that it is not VR ready and if you check the ACC forums there is a lot of people running 9900k and 2080ti that can't get a decent experience.

Rift owners seem happy but then the res on that is pretty blurry anyway, owners of the new Rift S and Reverb are the ones that are noticing the jaggies and blurriness when all other sims on these new VR headsets show a remarked improvement over the Rift but ACC doesn't.

I run it exclusively in triples and there is also no triple support or native triple rendering.

All other sims including RRE seem to have nailed VR and triples and on the Steam store they are supported, ask yourself why it was pulled?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    what are you talking about?
    You can start ACC in Steam VR or Oculus VR mode.

acc-vr.png

19. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Oh dear check the Steam store for RRE, PC2, RF2, AC and tell me if you see VR listed (yes), now tell me what you see on the Steam Store for ACC?

I will refer you to this post that clearly shows the issue https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...vr-not-rendering-at-correct-resolution.58341/

Kunos pulled the VR ready off the Steam Store, just because you can run it in VR doesn't mean it's supported, I can run many games in triples that weren't supposed to run but they aren't supported.

They have pulled a fast one and done it quietly so now when people who buy the game complain that VR sucks they can turn around and say 'well it isn't listed', bit of a get out clause there, the ones that got stung are the people that bought it when it was listed as VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    This is what is listed for RRE and ACC in the Steam Store, you can disagree all you like but the facts are there.

Attached Files:

• RRE.PNG
      RRE.PNG
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • ACC.PNG
      ACC.PNG
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
    • Agree Agree x 2