News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It works ok when the circumstances are favourable. Bathurst is 80% open track with plenty of run off and one would suppose an organised competition with entry requirements and being a track one has to buy specifically or with the full pack will weed out the morons, noobs and poor drivers.

I have yet to be DSQ from any race but have come close on a few occasions even when starting well up the grid because the circumstances; tight track with lots of cars, lack of run off or concrete barriers, make it easy to accumulate points with the current senstivity settings. I don´t have any videos either but just buy going into the dtm 92 ranked server on a busy night it will be easy to test how the track affects the points.

2. Olli B

Olli B New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!
    First of all Raceroom is a great sim! I appreciate and support the plan to establish a rating system, but imo there´s still things to improve!
    In the last few ranked races:
    -I got kicked about 5 minutes before finish on P3 due to ping problems (I´m on fibre, usually no probs), that must have been a dnf, lost points... Ok, understand that as a „pulling the plug“ prevention...
    -Qualified on P2, someone hit me, pushed me off track in the first corner, giving massive incident points, fought back through the grid with some heavily defending guys, forced off track again, finally disqualified in P3 due to too many incident points (I had about two or so incidents which were my fault), lost points
    -Qualified P2, someone spun and hit me in the first lap, in fact the race felt as above, finished P8, lost points
    -Finished 3rd, escaped while countdown, and it looked as if it was a dnf too!? Anyone knows what happens after finishing and esc ing during race end countdown?
    I don´t know how, but I wished there would be a way to differentiate between your own mistakes vs being a victim... Again, I love this sim, and I hope and bet you guys still have some good ideas to try out to improve the ranking system!
    Thanks for your work, S3 and everyone involved, and see y´all on the track, hopefully next time with better luck for me ;)
    Olli

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Is there any way of searching for a specific player (myself :D) in the rankings other than scrolling through the 5000 players until you happen to stumble upon the right one? :D

4. Olli B

Olli B New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nico, use a search function of your browser, start on page 1 ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Progress to be in the top 500
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ctrl-f on each page ?

Andi

7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Never knew such a thing existed :D
    But worked perfectly so thanks :)

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Lol 80% ??? Are you driving a different Bathurst to everyone else then?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Motor racing is a non contact sport. Maybe you should play destruction derby instead of you want to crash into everyone else? There's more skill in overtaking cleanly than ramming your way through....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Conrod, S/F line and Mountain Straight are all wide straights and account for more than half the track length. The Dipper is the only really difficult section.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Really like the ranked servers, any possibility we can see a LMP1 ,LMP2,GT3 race?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't need that.. I know I am on page 1 :D

13. Luís de Gomes

Luís de Gomes Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    this conversation is pointless.
    Have fun.

14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Lol, you're from UK, you watch BTCC?

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This wasn't exactly what I said and it isn't what I meant. I said receiving incident points is not a penalty (per se) and what I meant was that receiving an incident point (as in one or two or some) does not resemble a penalty. There are no direct repercussions.

Accumulating a certain amount of incidents has to have some kind of consequence, otherwise the system would be pointless. Of course being removed from the race is a penalty, and it is just what happens in real life if a driver continuously drives in an unsafe manner, which can include going off track or losing control of his vehicle.

With that being said, of course we already discussed what different kinds of consequences there could or should be and we also came to the conclusion that a direct disqualification can be too harsh a punishment at times. We suggested to add functionality that deals out drive-through or stop-and-go penalties after gathering a certain amount of points. The devs are aware of this and seemed positive about the idea, it's just that the code for this hasn't been written yet, so disqualifications are the only type of penalty available at this point in time. I expect to see more options in this department in the future.

The 30 point threshold/limit is an arbitrarily set number. We can already set the limit as high as 100 points iirc, but we just needed some kind of starting point and decided on 30. Eventually these will also change or be up to the server admin discretion, but again, this is just the first stage of the public testing of the whole system, so more changes are sure to come and we do listen to everyones feedback.

Well, simply saying "it does" sadly doesn't help much. I tried to reproduce this and I'm still getting the same result as in our internal testing: Slight touching and bumping did not result in incident points on my end.

Losing control of the vehicle has nothing to do with contacts. And as mentioned above, if a real life driver continuously loses control of his car or goes off track, he will be removed from the race because he poses a security risk to himself and everyone else on and around the track, so these incident points are there in order to account for those types of real life racing regulations.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Correction, Motorsport is supposed to be non contact, I'd say driving standards in sim public servers are better than in btcc!! In any case though, you can get away with a nudge without gaining a point. If everyone plays to the same rules then close racing doesn't have to be with contact at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Just a couple quick questions. Did i get it right that incidents during quali do not count towards the rating/reputation? And if i join a ranked server and leave it at the end of quali will that affect my numbers in any way or do i have to start the race for anything to happen?

18. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see the number of incident points increased substantially for not respecting track limits. Many people are using run off areas deliberately during races to gain an advantage, safe in the knowledge that they can do it many times without getting a DQ. On several occasions I have been overtaken around the outside at T1 at both Hockenheim & RedBullRing by people going way off track. Could something be implemented where the further off track you go, the more incident points you accrue.
    I am still a regular online driver in GT Legends, a title which is now 15 years old, & in that you get a S/G penalty for just 3 incidents of not respecting track limits in a race & then for every incident after that, so surely it would not be difficult to implement something similar in RaceRoom.

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Right now incidents are not logged and hence don't count in practice sessions. In quali and race sessions, they do count. You can rely on the overlay info, if an incident is displayed, you got it. During practice sessions you will not see any incident notification.

AfaIk leaving the server during quali will not impact your rating, at least it shouldn't. If you do notice sth like this, please let us know.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, ATM people are able to get away with a lot of exploits, but in contrast are getting points for being driven into or tapping a wall or minor spins and excursions and you can get double penalties say if someone hits you then you hit the wall or spin off plus suspension damage.

I understand this is WIP and that the system will evolve to introduce lesser penalties than a simple server kick upon reaching the points threshold. Hopefully collision detection with other cars and walls will also be fine tuned.

• Agree Agree x 2