English [CFEG] Public Sunday Races 2000H BST

Discussion in 'Leagues & Communities' started by OverTheLine, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know the physics were old on these cars. Like you said though, they're still great fun.

Well, I don't know exactly what has helped me the most but I've been working hard on improving my driving and have found out what works and what doesn't in R3E (and sim racing overall) for myself. Mainly going for more of a oversteering car in general and managing that along with a new found understanding of braking technique and racing lines has shaved a good second or two off my previous pace. GT Eye brake pedal spring and switched out throttle and clutch springs has been the deal if I can mention something hardware related.

So, long story short - I changed everything regarding my driving and now it's better than it was before. :rolleyes:

The main thing is to enjoy this tool and use it in that way we gain from it the most. Be it just for fun, as a training tool for becoming a better racing driver, a way to escape everyday bullshit or to impress women.

Slow is clean. Clean is fast. Fast is cool. Chicks dig cool. Or not...

2. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    You'll have to explain more about this braking technique, also, didn't you do quite well in the recent Thrustmaster FR2 competition at Spa?

3. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Before I just braked hard, pedal to the floor. The G27 is useless in this regard. I kept locking up and going straight forward. So I thought " I need to brake earlier" or turn down brake pressure. But then I lost out under braking. After a while I figured that this is how fast I can drive and thats it.

Then it occurred to me that as you slow down you need to come off the pedal. This contradicts the brain because it wants to push harder but what does the brain know right? I started working on this and after a while I could brake later than before, make the corner but still be slower in and faster out. :confused: Now I could also work with trailbraking. All this alone has done at least around a second per lap from where I was before.

With the spring mod this is much easier to control and I recon a load cell would be magic.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    @Hasselhoax
    Thanks for the advice mate, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if I can make some improvements too, although, I use a G27 too, bought it when it was first released though (about 7 years ago), brake pot is all but gone to the scrap yard now though, after many repairs I have to run with a 35% lower dead zone on the brake pedal to stop the brakes coming on at inopportune moments lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the FR2 competion I couldn't read the aliens names, that's how far back I was and always am in these hot lap competitions. I swear I'm ready to quit racing everytime seeing how quick they are.

I personally enjoy the racing and endurance aspect more than just being quick over a single lap. Thats my racing drivers excuse.
    :D

Sorry for the OT guys. @Ronin_GTDave feel free to PM me. I'm up for some driving someday if you want. We can share some setup tips and so on.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. OverTheLine

OverTheLine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    ....i use trailbraking as well...but jesus you was quick in that touring and audi car...then again, my favourite car to drive is GT3 so...its pretty much all i drove in iRacing before coming to R3E...looks like im going to have to practice more in the classic cars if i want those podiums...you sir have been challenged! :p

ahem...on a seperate more important note...the track details for this week...

Race 1 - Zandvoort Club - GTO Classics
    Race 2 - Silverstone - LMP2 + GTR3
    Race 3 - WTCC 2015 - LAGGGGUUUUNNNNNAAAAA...Seca....

7. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    The TT Cup cars are very good for practicing the complete package. You can brake really late if you manage your brake pressure correct. One mistake and you miss the turn in completely and it takes easily a couple of corners before you're up to speed. Brake too early and you won't post decent lap times.

It's also key to hit all apexes and maximise your exit speed. Keeping up the momentum is key, just like with rental karts. With high powered RWD cars you can "throttle your way out of mistakes" and mask them but with these relatively low powered FWD cars you need to do it right or you easily loose seconds.

So master the TT and you will see gains in your overall driving!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thought I had, then you came along lol.

9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Sir Jackie Stewart confirms.;)

Oh yes. It's not when you brake but when you take them off that counts. Most people don't understand that.

Jackie Stewart

10. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Dont forget racing is tonight, Start time is 8pm GMT. Hope to see you all there, will also be our practice 25m race at silverstone to get everyone ready for the 90m race at end of this month. let the fun begin!!...in around 6 hours... :p

Race 1 - Zandvoort Club - GTO Classics
    Race 2 - Silverstone - LMP2 + GTR3
    Race 3 - WTCC 2015 - LAGGGGUUUUNNNNNAAAAA...Seca....

11. Squidboy

Squidboy Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Password?

12. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
  13. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Erm, what do you mean by password? the server is public this weekend :)

14. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Some tough competition this Sunday, mainly from @Rella in the first race, and him and T. Schmidt in the last race, which was epic.

- Zandvoort GTO: GTO must stand for "get the f*ck out, I'm gonna kill you", because that's what the 300ZX is trying every corner exit.

- Multiclass @Silverstone 25 min: 1.51 to 1.53. No consistency, nothing. Will be fun to race on the 26th, hopefully some more guys in P2.

- WTCC @Laguna: VERY fast qualifiers in front, very hard racing back and forth. Overtook R. Arella in T1 and got T. Schmidt a few laps later during braking for T1. Nearly threw it all away in the last corner by overshooting it but I could hold on towards the chequered flag.

Good turn up today, clean racing. The future looks bright for this event!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Was a lot of fun on this server.
    I will bring some sun to grey Britain ;)[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Does this mean I will actually have to start making setups for each sunday now :p as im always default so far.

good to see your with us :) look forward to seeing you go around track, please mind the McLaren as that's me :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Good turn out, good fun last night.
    Race 1 was going well in the early stages, had managed to tame the 300ZX's rear end on corner exit and was hanging on to the coat tails of the top 3.... And then I wasn't, not sure if my lap times dropped or they sped up but they disappeared. Couple of drivers (sorry, I forget names) were challenging from behind but mistakes saw them drop back, until the penultimate lap when my own mistake cost me 4th, 5th was still a half decent result given the challenging nature of the cars though and it was still good fun.

Race 2, it was shaping up to be an interesting race, hadn't managed to set a qually lap but found myself chasing R.Arella and Rirdeg, too far back to make a significant challenge early on but trading sector times and fastest laps, then Rirdeg found something like a second in pace and in pushing to keep up, I made a lot of mistakes. 3rd in class isn't bad but doesn't bode well for the 26th, lots of work to be done, need to find a way to dial out a ton of understeer and gain even more overall grip, not sure that's going to be possible at the moment.

Race 3. Hate Laguna, don't really need to say more than that, fun race though, like many others, would have been happy for it to be longer.

Cheers guys, good stuff as always.

On a side note, I'll have a Silverstone practice server up tonight from 8pm if anyone's about.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I'll be there if I'm not in the gym.

Ralf Arella pushed very hard during the race and maybe that pulled us in the top 3 away. I guess it might be easier to drive with someone in front sometimes since you tend to overdrive these cars by yourself in qualifying so the race pace was quicker.

Try this. You can go down on rear wing more if you like. I thought this was pretty solid for a longer run.

[​IMG]

19. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
  20. OverTheLine

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Tracks for this sunday

Sunday Meeting - 12.02.17
    Track details announced below

Meeting start 2000 Hours GMT
    Race 1 - Suzuka West Course - Group 5 (10m)
    Race 2 - Sonoma (Sprint) - BMW M1 Cup (25m)
    Race 3 - Silverstone National - KTM x-bow (10m)

Cya there