English ESR

Discussion in 'Leagues & Communities' started by ::SKRO::, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    It only goes to show many sim racer take their hobby very very seriously, and there is a genuine call here for a distinct rule in the case of an overtake of slower traffic. Because it is quite clear by the responses on the subject that many have a differing opinion on how it should be done, and who should move where.
    In my opinion, as we are simulating motorsport, we should adopt motorsport practices.

This wouldn't even be an issue if S3S had prioritised a flag system some time ago instead of pushing out more content. I would rather see blue & yellow flags active ingame than an Audi R18. But as we have zero control on flag implementation we must set out some guidlines to simplify and eradicate any confusion on overtaking lapped or slower traffic.

But yes agreed, there is no need to insult eachother or get into a flame war.

At this point I would like to ask the faster front runners if they would be willing to take part in the training school that @::SKRO:: and I will be putting together, I understand Emilio has already approached some of you on the subject. @Genghiz Kahn appreciate your offer mate, I will be in contact via PM shortly :)

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bobby Edge

Bobby Edge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I know Kahn, myself, and others have offered to help with track strats, setups, or just any questions in general. Just add someone on Steam.

I've also mentioned it on TS with a few but I don't think anyone has followed through.

I have no problem assisting in anyway I can. Any pace I have has come from practice on track and via setup - not luck and definitely not natural talent. I have no problem sharing setups or helping someone figure out what adjustments will cater to their driving style. Please don't hesitate to contact me on Steam. If not me, at least someone else offering up their time to assist.

• Like Like x 3
  3. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I will add my two cents to this.
    I sort of started it by mentioned in my post that i had 3 incidents with a car that i was trying to pass(lapped). And this took off fast. I saw it coming a miles away, Emi and i had a conversation about how the thread was going.
    Sorry we let it go this far.
    But this proves the point i made earlier about posting incident in the thread. Sometime we have an opinion and might not think much about sharing it, But someone else might see it differently.

On another note, The racing school/rookie hang out will provide a hang out place for those who just want to practice without pressure, we will be able easily recreated some of those real situation and learn from them ( getting passed by a lapped car :p :p ).
    A lot of you Alien/pro have agreed to host/Help with those sessions and i would like to thank you,
    Also i would hope that for anyone who is intimidated by racing online, would want to join and who knows join our drop-in events. This goes Esr member or not ( Maybe future member?) or part of the champ or not.

Again lets get back to basic and have fun.

• Like Like x 4
  4. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Ive had my eye on this subject. Here especially, its felt like many people don't watch enough racing. Either don't know how to form up for a warm up lap or show any self awareness on track, blows my mind. Theres been a lot of correct things said in here about the lapping of Racers(traffic)-don't want to hurt feelings, and some that are wrong of course. Its best that the slower car i.e. bout to be a lap down or is a lap down to stay on the racing line and for the faster car to make the pass. On top of that if the "slower" car cant keep pace, he just needs to concede and let the trailing car by. As for the opposite, if a car that is lapped wants to pass, he can rightly do so, its happen to me on here before, if he's got pace, Im not gonna get in his way. Like a few have said, be predictable, its not rocket science, use your common sense out there, you earn points for finishing and fighting another lap, its how you win Championships ;) I would definitely support a Pro and Am class here, that way both can have top honors to go for. Oh and if you want to learn some good stuff, watch the Blancpain main race at Misano from last weekend, plenty to go by and good racing too.

Peace and Love

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Just my 2 cents .......
    -I fear having 2 divisions may lead to low turnout in both divisions. I've seen this is sim and real world racing I have been involved in.

-Slower drivers will learn more racing with the faster guys. Same goes for playing guitar - you always learn more playing with people better than yourself. Playing with people that have equally bad habits/slow times, will only help to reinforce them.

- If you are a slower driver (myself included), we lose time in and out of corners. The best place to allow an overtake of a faster car is on the next straight, not in the corner. We know when a faster car is coming. hold your line through the corner and then allow the pass to happen on the straight. Move to the "dirty " side and a slight lift and the faster car should know what is happening and take the position. This is pretty universal, or has been in the 30 years I have been around race tracks.

All that being said, i wont be able to make this Saturdays race - previous plans for Saturday night.

Mike

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. chrisnj

chrisnj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    HES ALIVE!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. James Nance

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Its like the Blancpain series or WEC, you will race with everyone but you will have secondary objective you can meet besides overall position. Blancpain has Pro and Am drivers in there own cars in the same race.
    Im very Alive yes

• Like Like x 1
  8. chrisnj

chrisnj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Well.... hows Sean's Mom been? Figured your disappearance was related to stealing her away to a far off island to live happily ever after. :eek:o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Great idea, I love the WEC, but how do you determine an amateur from a proffesional in a simulated situation, unless you ran different classes, eg: Pro's in dtm15's & Am's in dtm13's. The next question is, what determines an amateur from a proffesional?

10. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    We've been through this in determining who would be using Dtm92 or TC, We used previous data and knowledge of the people we had.
    And like Mike Demers above mentioned having 2 different class is difficult for attendance, See as we have more than 24 people signed up and only 17 to 20 usually show up.
    We could however ( like James also mentioned above ) We all race together like we are doing and maybe sort out a different standing.
    But again to me, standing don't mean very much i'd rather have more people to race with.
    Telling someone that they are slower and should go play in their corner of the sandbox is counter of what we want to do here, its very possible even for someone who is "slower" to make top 10 and have fun doing it with other people, We are all here to get better and having fun doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, this is why I put the question to James for some clarification on how you do it in a sim-racing situation without offending anyone. It's not as easy as it seems or sounds.

Cheers

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Genghiz Kahn

Genghiz Kahn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I'm excited to see the leader board after the Nurburgring race. Any chance we can update that?:)

13. James Nance

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Its sorta like real life, you either new to the league or car, so your automatically in the Am class. after a couple of races or a season you bump up to Pro. If you have incidents or do not improve in speed you stay in Am. If you prove to be quick enough after a few races, you bump up to Pro right away. I think its kinda simple. We are adults here, I think we can take the critique, we all started somewhere. Its more of an on going evaluation. Again like real life, drivers are given ratings each year, some move up or move down, but you dont see them crying. Like I said, it gives people of lower experience/skill goals to go for and incentive to compete. Otherwise have fun going for 15th place.
    She dumped me...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    that means she's available !!!?

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  15. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    doin it now Kahn ;-)

Results updated!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I have pulled off to the side or slowed down to let lap cars by but that being said I at points was about a second away from my next placed car, after the lap traffic cleared me I was 8 seconds behind

17. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Not anymore!

18. Bobby Edge

Bobby Edge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I hope my post didn't come off as suggesting to literally pull into the grass. You've always acknowledged me when I'm trying to pass and given ample room. Thank you.

In the future I definitely suggest using "lead" car(s) lapping to your advantage.

Best example I can give is Verstappen at Monaco 2015 (F1). I've used the same strategy.

Basically the in car footage is Verstappen who was just lapped. The red Ferrari in front is Vettel who just lapped him. Everyone else in the video is being lapped and Verstappen is fighting them for position. Notice how lapped cars give room and Verstappen simply follows Vettel through. Great RaceIQ.

19. Genghiz Kahn

Genghiz Kahn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I agree and have used this strategy in the past but didn't last long as the leaders soon out paced me.

20. James Nance

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    How you do it is the game itself you play, thats where skill comes in and how you use oncoming cars to your advantage. If your too straight forward and let the leading cars come through in a bad spot or in bad way for yourself, thats on you.

Like Bob said, there are ways to go about it. It works both ways. I got a race I did a few months ago where as a leader I used the slower cars as a pick or a road block, I would slip through and then pull a gap on my opponent as they trip up on traffic.
    This was my rough example. I started on Pole but the Host messed up the grid setup, so I had to hack through the Corvettes. Some were easy and some were not.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1