Fanatec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karting06, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

My logitech G25 is unfortunately broken :(. So, I need a replacement wheel.
    I want one that will last long and is from good quality. I was thinking about the Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base EU. Is this a good base? Can I mount it on a Playseat Evolution?

Or do you think that Thrustmaster is better?
    I will use in the beginning the shifter and pedals from the G25 (I can use it alone, it's recognized by the PC).

EDIT: Finally, I bought the following:
    • CSL Elite Wheel Base EU
    • ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Black EU
    • CSL Elite Pedals LC EU (Yes, I changed my mind :) )
    Thanks,
    Karting06

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    @Karting06,
    I cannot report of own experiences, cause I'm using the csw v2. Maybe this may help a little.;)
    edit:
    Agree to @fl0wf1r3 here. I've got it in use since date of release in 02/'15 and it's great!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    it always depends on your budget. I am more than happy with my Fanatec CSW V2. One year ago, I did not even know what sim racing is :) I do not regret buying that wheel at all. I started with the formula rim and for DiRT Rally I got the universal hub in combination with a QSP steering wheel as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    @fischhaltefolie Thanks anyway ;) You have it for +/- 2 years know, so I suppose the quality isn't bad :). Did you have another wheel before?

@fl0wf1r3: yes unfortunately :/ I don't have really have a budget but I find that 750 €(without shipping, handling) is a lot for the CSW v2 base.
    Did you invest that amount of money when you didn't know what sim racing was?!

Thanks for your help :)

5. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    For years also used a g25. Meanwhile I gave it to my son and it still works properly. Getting used to it was easy.
    Some minor issues I had with singing fans at my wheelbase. But the support of Fanatec finally solved this by implemtenting a new pcba within the warranty. So Fanatec support is quite well, too.;)

6. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Did you invest that amount of money when you didn't know what sim racing was?!

Yes I did, sometimes one has to do weird things :) I had no idea how long I will play racing games. At this time I was driving pCars on the PS4, my first racing game. After two laps I made the decision I need a wheel, a controller is not going to work :)
    I looked at all alternatives at this time. It is very difficult when you don't have the chance to see/test the wheels before buying them. I didn't have the opportunity. The Thurstmaster T500 was supposed to be a nice wheel but the pedals didn't convince me at all and I needed something that was PS4 compatible at this time. In the end it was Fanatec.

Did you see that video? http://www.virtualr.net/xbox-one-steering-wheel-buyers-guide-one-get

the Fanatec support is indeed great, they replaced my dampers for the pedals four times. At the beginning they had some issues with them. Not nice, but they replaced them without objections. But it is expensive, no question. Two years ago I would not have been able to spend that amount of money for things like that. The good thing is, the equipment has more or less nothing do with it of how fast someone is

7. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    That's positive for the Fanatec support :)
    @fl0wf1r3: Thanks for the video. I'm watching it ;)
    What do you mean by that? That skills = more important than the used equipment (= wheel) ?

8. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Sorry!
    Now I see my first answer was pure crap! I forgot to link this:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I found it (8 minutes ago). Thanks anyway :)

10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Edit - wasnt meant to be a review or anything and kinda got a little long winded, just thought id post from experience which may help others too!

My recent history (last 8 -10 mnths), went from a G25 > CSR > T500 > CSR Elite > CSL Elite and i would rate them in that order (CSL, profile depending). G25 and the CSR both good wheels to get started with, the CSR edges it on noise and being smoother with decent FFB, both good cheap (price) entry wheels, i prefered the overall FFB of the G25 but the smoothness and with a lot less noise i would choose the Fanatec CSR out of the two.

The T500 was a huge jump in overall quality, i only used it for a week and really liked it but i couldnt get on with the fixed paddles, strong, consistant and smooth FFB, a very nice wheel to use if you can get past or get used to the fixed paddles, really liked it, but in a way glad i couldnt get used to the paddles as it moved me onto the CSR Elite, IDK what it was about the Elite over the T500 fixed paddles apart, it just felt better, the strong forces were good just like the T500 but it seemed to have a bit more detail to the softer lower power FFB, kind of contradicted myself there, i do know, it was smoother with good high power FFB and the low power FFB was finer more detailed, out the four wheels ive listed so far the CSR Elite wins all day everyday.
    No mention of ergonomics or anything like that, we are all different and what i consider acceptable, size, weight, grip quality, you may not.

The CSL Elite, only had it two days using an edited CSW V2 profile, the stock no profile settings just didnt seem to work for me, bland featurless FFB in RR (only game i play) using the edited V2 profile was a big improvement on stock but cant really judge it properly untill there is a proper profile in the game, saying that there is no doubt it is a good wheel using the edited profile it performs on par with the Elite but stronger forces, low power forces are hard to find compared to the Elite but im sure that is a game related issue and not the wheel itself.
    Plenty of glowing reviews of it if you look for them.

Bottom line, if you can afford the CSL + Rim go for it, if money is a little tight i would say bang for buck, the CSR Elite, top performance from a relatively old wheel model, from a G25 to an Elite or CSL even the T500, mate, seriously, you`ll wonder why you didnt make the jump sooner, the difference with them three wheels over the G25 Barcelona v Coventry City.

The equipment has everything to do with how fast or slow you are, from your seat to your pedals to the choice of wheel makes a difference. If your a poor driver or just slow then maybe equipment makes no difference but a decent driver will tell you that equipment and the way it is used makes a big difference maybe even very big difference, admittedly there are extremely fast drivers using older or poor equipment but these guys are just fast by nature, with a good seat comes positioning, comfort and consistancy, load cell brakes, a strong, consistant wheel, these things make a difference, i could go on and on.

Didnt watch this but if its the review i saw a while ago from ISR the guy couldnt even be bothered to fix it to a rig correctly then complained about movement of the base :eek:

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    @Not Lifting Off,
    Thank you for your time! It's very useful information, in fact what I wanted to know.
    I think that for now, I will take the CSL Elite with a steering wheel. Later on, I will move on to the pedals
    (in fact, last week I thought about buying new pedals, but my wheel died yesterday...).

The only thing that I have to verify is that the wheel base can be securely mounted on my Playseat.
    How are your wheels mounted, in fact? Custom build cockpit?

12. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    The base comes with a clamp but they also have a drilling template available to download from their website. The base can be mounted with three screws. Can't comment in playseat as I have not had anything to do with one.

13. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes I saw that, thanks :)
    I see that you, @Paul Darke , have a CSL Wheelbase. Do you have any opinion? :D

14. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    As Paul said there is a basic template for the three pattern screw, there is also one a four pattern screw fit and if your confident with a drill would take 10 mins at the most.
    Mine is mounted using the three bolt pattern to an Obutto Revolution.

15. Paul Darke

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Other than the fact there is no R3E profile at the moment, and you will need Fanaleds for the lights to work, I would absolutley recommend this base and the P1 wheel. By the way Fanaleds works perfectly with it.
    What pedals do you have?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  16. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I already use Fanaleds for my SLI-PRO received for Christmas...
    Stock G25, I know, that's not the best. You have the CSR Elite Pedals? Do you know if they are better than G25 (because they are at 50€ atm (discontinued))?

17. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Barcelona v Coventry City for the Elite pedals over G25, but im sure the discounted ones are the standard CSR pedals without the loadcell. Yep, just checked, they are the basic pedals set, no different to your G25 in all honesty.

18. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes unfortunately no loadcell. That will be for later I guess :)
    Thanks all for the help :)
    I think that I will take the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Black (because I don't really like the look of the P1) + CSL Elite.
    And later we will (hopefully) upgrade the pedals :)

EDIT: "Barcelona v Coventry City" I don't really watch football (I'm not a fan at all) ;)

19. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, my crappy home team, v probably the best in the world, no brainer, no contest
    Ok, Any Ferrari v 80`s Skoda

20. Paul Darke

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    The P1 doesn't look the best but really works well. With the money you save over the Clubsport you could get the CSL pedals with the load cell. Just a thought as I am not sure how well the G25 pedals will go. Not even sure you can connect them. The connections on the rear of the CSL are phone type jacks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017