Forza Motorsport 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Andy Kettler, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusive.

Enjoy gorgeous graphics at 60fps and true 4K resolution in HDR. Collect over 700 Forzavista™ cars, including the largest assortment of Ferraris, Porsches, and Lamborghinis ever.

Master over 30 famous environments with race conditions that change every time you race.

Available October 3, 2017 on Xbox One and Windows 10. Coming November 7, 2017 for Xbox One X

Features: https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_e3_features

Editions:https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_preorder

4K Screenshots: http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=szv4pRn1

Tracks, Dynamic Weather, Time of Day: https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/18/fm7-track-list-revealed/

System Requirements: https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_gamescom

Demo: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/p/forza-motorsport-7-demo/9p2xh29364lh

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Tried this earlier, no rotation options for FFB on G27, it's not a sim, sounds awful. All separate things that put me off.

It looks great though, especially in the wet and plays "OK" on a pad.

I'd suspect it'll be better on X-Box One (and variants) but it's obvious Turn10 don't have a clue about PC :D

3. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I play forza weekly as a lightweight "sim" racer with some old school friends, so we've all tried the demo on Xbox one. The pad control is as good as ever, graphics are great, the sound is second only to Raceroom (but still a way behind - that GTR in the demo sounds nice :)). There's definitely something off, particularly with the Porsche in the demo though. If the real life car handled that badly it would be banned from sale, it's bloody awful. The racing truck handles loads better, so I'm not sure how that slipped past there testers :)

5. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Tried it today. Aside from how long it loads with all that Xbox app crap, I am very impressed. Haven't tried the truck, but yeah the Porsche is garbage and sluggish, no point in driving that junk. The Nissan on the other hand feels pretty awesome. The rain race looks and feel outstanding, forget CARS 2 rain, this is the most beautiful and immersive wet racing on the PC. I did not try this with a wheel (it's Forza, come on!), but with a pad that Nissan drives pretty realistic (just don't use simulation handling, it's garbage since Forza 4), I actually used all my experience for Nurburgring from proper sims and the cornering speeds, at what gear you should hit corner and so on is pretty spot on. Driving over puddles also seemed brilliant, you'll want to avoid those. The only thing that sucks is the braindead AI that just drives there like they are on a picnic (not even going fast really).

So yeah, this is probably going to the ultimate simcade, or maybe let's say realistic racing game (as in not simulation, but believable physics-wise). With emphasis on "game". I'm probably going to buy it, though putting money into M$ pockets sort rubs me the wrong way, especially with their crappy store and that horrid Xbox app, not to mention the whole Windows Universal App thing or whatever it's called. Can't I install my software in an orderly manner, like in folders, properly name, so I know what's where?

6. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    The Porsche is not easy at first but then really fun with pad. Tried it with wheel and its undrivable for me ^^ The Nissan is better but ffb still bad. I hope they improve it.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I only tried it with a pad, but I basically doesn't turn for me, understeer is through the roof no matter the speed. Maybe I need to give it another go and figure out how to drive it, but not really a Porsche fan.

8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This looks pretty good for what it's trying to accomplish here. Were you using 'simulation' steering or the 'normal' steering though? I've been reading elsewhere that it might be more enjoyable to use normal steering, as the sim steering behaves quite weirdly. And with how the FFB is for wheels, I might give 'normal' a go.

No denying this game is gorgeous though. Easily the best looking racing game that I have ever seen. From the lighting, to the overall look of the tracks, the weather, etc. If you do look closely though, it's pretty easy to spot how low poly some of the models are, which is disappointing. The Porsche being basically 1 big curve makes this very easy to spot. Rather nit-picky, but seeing low poly models and abrupt lines on car bodies always throws me off. One reason I cant get into certain sims as much as other people. Be nice if the game had that 1 extra LoD for cars that was super high detail, but with 700 cars, this likely wasnt feasible.

That option would be nice when maxing out the graphics, since the resources needed to run maxed out is very, very low. Optimization seems to have been really well done here. Stutters in the menu notwithstanding.

Im a bit torn on this. GT/Forza have the gameplay elements I would die to have in sim-racing, but with the driving being so lackluster, it is tough to choose those over the sims I enjoy. Collecting and modifying 700 cars is a huge draw though. Anyone know if the Microsoft store ever has sales on games? Or if you can pick this game up elsewhere? Definitely wont be getting it on release, but down the road on sale seems likely.

9. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    My rough assumption is they will need to have sales, if they want to attract people. That is how Steam and other DD outlets do it, but not that many games on the MS store right now, not high profile ones at least.

As for how to enjoy Forza... it's easy, just forget the wheel - these games have been designed for the Xbox pad from the ground up and the wheel userbase is small, so they don't care. Once you start racing with a wheel, you'll just find things that irritate you. To get the most of Forza, just get a pad, set the handling to normal (simulation is rubbish and erratic), focus on the a few cars you like, drive them, tune them, paint them, drift them, get involved with like-minded individuals online (drifters, muscle car fans, painters, tuners, whatever is your fancy), and just have fan, relaxed fun. It's not a serious game, you aren't supposed to take it seriously, no apex hunting here or tyre model discussions. It's supposed to be for everyone who likes cars, collecting them, making them their own, driving them. Forza will never be realistic, just plausible and IMHO that is enough. It's meant to be played on a couch, with a pad and a light-minded attitude.

Think of Forza this way, it's basically Need for Speed back when it was brilliant (3, 4, Porsche, hell even Underground 2), only with tons more content.

10. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    I use normal steering. Sim steering is very weird imo.

I´m happy with the lod of the car models. They looked really bad back in Forza 2,3.

A GT fanboy posted some pictures to show how bad the opponents cars look.

[​IMG]

This is worse than in Forza 3 but it turns out the guy was using very low settings.

The opponents cars look like this:

[​IMG]

and this is better than the player cars model back in the days.

I think the player car is now very close to the model used in the photo mode :)

"On PC max settings, the nearby AI cars are the equivalent of how the player's car looks on Xbox One."

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-demo-discussion.358726/page-12#post-11952342

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Interesting pictures @Andy Kettler. I hadnt even thought to compare the AI cars to my own. Frankly, while racing, Im not sure I would notice such minor differences anyway, unless they are glaringly obvious, or use a much lower detail LoD than the players. I was more so referring to the initial 'car tour' as the camera moves around your car before the race starts. On the Porsche for instance, you can see where the car door meets the body, that there are some poly's that arent smoothed out. If you arent looking specifically for this though, it would probably go unnoticed. Certainly doesnt look bad however.

Just gave the normal steering a try with my wheel, and I must not have got on with it. In the Porsche it was worse than the sim steering. The car just reacted so odd to small inputs. Once the car got a bit loose, countersteering was entirely ineffective.

Gave the trucks at Mugello a go for the first time, and those were easily the best to drive out of the 3 choices. Braking was extremely OP though. Compared to Reiza's trucks, these stop on a dime.

Going back to the Nissan which gave me endless trouble when I drove it before, was actually far more enjoyable once I turned on TC. It seemed that even small amounts of throttle just kicked out the rear weirdly, and this corrected that.

If you dont try to drive these cars like you would in a sim, then I think there is probably a lot to offer and be enjoyable enough while driving. I'll have to give it a try with a controller sometime to see if that makes the overall experience any more fun or not. :)

12. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    I drive with pad... Ffb is not good enough for me to enjoy the game with wheel...

Good video to see the lod:

13. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    Some old pics where i compared the Forza 4 car models. This was 2011.

Player car, Player car photo mode and a cockpit from a opponent car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    So how is the wheel support? Not good? They said they would improve it for this title bla bla. I tried Forza 6 for PC once (Apex or whatever its called) and the wheel was loosey goosey in the middle and no fun at all.

15. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    Wheel support is way better. Every wheel is supported now and the game also has multi usb support. But the ffb is bad.

16. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
  17. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
  18. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    October 3, 2017
    Today we released an update for Forza Motorsport 7 to address a number of stability-related issues for players on Windows 10 PCs. This update addresses several additional issues in the game on both PC and Xbox One. These fixes include:

- Fixed numerous livery-related issues, including some liveries applying as paint colors only, liveries not appearing in multiplayer, and game lock-ups when cancelling liveries.
    - Fixed an issue where vinyls would not appear in the vinyl editor for players who were creating vinyl groups with HDR enabled.
    - Arabic text is no longer reversed in game menus
    - Default profile slider settings for wheel users are no longer maxed out
    - Benchmark mode on PC now displays the correct minimum FPS
    - Framerate now improved in loading with G-Sync enabled.

19. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    So I finally managed to download it (yeah I bought it, I feel dirty now). Played a bit and... It's kinda awesome, kinda sucks.

Graphics and sound are amazing, though I think movies and replays run at like 30fps or something, definitely not smooth, but this game looks so impressive! Forget CARS 2, everything here looks and sounds brilliantly. The rain and colours of the sunset really blew me away. Engine sounds also are very high quality, but that is something people should be used to since like Forza 3.

Other good stuff... Handling. I did not play this with a wheel (because I am not a masochist), but on pad, I'd say this is the perfect simcade. It's controllable, but all the realistic aspects such as power oversteer, weight transfer oversteer, you know the good stuff that you experience in sim-racing is there. It's very believeable, clipping the grass will cause you to slide, hitting a sandpit will slow you down significantly (actaully last time I dig mysefl into sand was in GTR2, what gives?). And of course, tuning settings make sense, at least if you want to make the car go sideways in a stable manner (it's what Forza is for IMHO). I also really like the drifting, it's more focused on throttle control than countersteering, which is completely different to many arcade racers. With no assists on, it feel realistic in a way, controllable, but something like the old Camaro has tons of power and will dance on the gas, which is way better than Forza Apex was.

Tracks are a plenty, with all the iconic ones like Nord and Monza, and they do look good. No idea how accurate, but I don't care here. What I do care for is... NO KAIDO!!! Where is my damn touge tracks Turn 10?! You really want me never to uninstall Race Driver Grid, fine!

On the racing part, what you learn from simracing works here, braking points, accelerating out of the corner etc. Yeah, you play with a pad but the handling is believable and if you have knowledge of a certain track from sims, you will be right at home. Also, driving smoothly will make you faster, pretty cool. AI obviously are lame and drive like you aren't there, but they sort of kind of do race. Nothing to write home about, just keep in mind that bumper-cars way of overtaking is more profitable than doing it properly, nothing new, just Forza.

Now for the bad stuff. Obviously, driving each car feels similar, you don't have to learn each new vehicle, there are differences, but not sim-like differences. Where Forza fails is... everything else apart from driving, drifting and racing. There is 700 cars in this, and most of them are just junk. Trucks, SUVs, that little 3 wheeler micro thing from Top Gear, a ton of Stock Cars which make no sense here. Some race cars that also make little sense, considering it's not really something that simulates any racing series. There is maybe like 50 cars in here that one would like and the rest is just filler. And you are forced to buy that crap because there is now collector levels and you get them buy getting more cars so that you can unlock the cars you want to buy. Money is thrown at you in spades, even when you are not playing the game your drivatar earn cash, and then there is other useless crap like driver suits and cosmetics, and those lootboxes with random stuff that give you bonueses. There is a ton of that, so you spend time in the menus and not racing. There are some bad sides to racing too - useless pit stops, not even for tyre swaps when rain starts (happens automatically on track - stupid). Also the AI is always sort of going at the same pace as you, so you don't really have an incentive to upgrade your car, and considering you can buy a few really fast ones after 20 minutes of playing, progressions seems more about collecting all those filler rides, then actually upgrading your favourite baby. I miss the old days of GT4, where it may have been a boring grind most of the time, but turbo-ing your AE86 was a real game changer, so you had a sense of progression and pay off for you hard work. Which again brings me to the off-track activities - why would I want to make a cool paintjob and sell it at the storefront (which doesn't seem to be working btw), if I can just get money from not even playing the game? I really feel like the tuning appeal is gone now, maybe except making drift rides.

But the worst part is... It crashed to desktop constantly. Even in menus, or maybe just in menus, I am not sure, mostly in menus I think.

So all in all, a decent racer with a brilliant handling model (NOT SIM), to play in a relaxed way on a couch with a pad. Too bad they cluttered it with useless stuff that irritates you more and more with each minute. Them menus are also horrible. That said though, while despite the many flaws, it's finally Forza on the PC with it's glorious tuning-handling potential... I would trade it in a second for a perfect 360 emulator so I could play Forza 4, because that was miles better and it had the 86.

If you want an arcade / simcade racer that does not offend your intelligence with it's handling, it's worth it I geuss, especially if they patch out the crashes, but if you still have a 360 and Forza 4, do noy buy.

20. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 0 / -0
    f19affbc-acac-453e-b365-13616284ded4.jpg aadf782c-b27e-4082-a7c4-a2e7cc849e19.jpg 256a4d65-19f4-4bac-a48c-8968b6e02a3e.jpg ddae6562-e167-4128-8833-285ca7f9300d.jpg

• Like Like x 2