Problem Frame rate stutters

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by knut m helgeland, Oct 24, 2015.

1. knut m helgeland

knut m helgeland Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I first posted in the "impossible to choose 1920x1080 60hz under Windows 10" thread ( link ), but i think my issue is unrelated, so i created a new thread.

When i start the game, i have to change resolution from the default 1080p-59hz (should be 60hz but that is not an option even though that is what the windows desktop uses), to another resolution, then back again - and the game works perfectly.

Made a youtube video that illustrates the problem:

PS: Windows 10, nvidia 680 (latest official drivers), i7-3770k cpu, 16gb ram. The game ran perfectly on windows 8.1, and i dont have issues with other games like Assetto Corsa or Iracing after upgrading to win10.

• Like Like x 1
  2. knut m helgeland

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    No one else has this bug/problem?

3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, strange behavior... I don't have anything like that.
    Have you made a clean install of Win10 or just the Update?

4. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    knut check in documents/mygames/simbin/r3e/userdata. Open the graphics_options in notepad and change your refresh rate in there and see if it helps. On Windows 10, R3E was blurry for me and I manually set my resolution and refresh rate in there and it stopped the blurries. It might work for your problem as well.

5. knut m helgeland

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    m.bohlken:
    It was an upgrade from windows 8.1, just following the instructions from windows update....

itsmedavetn:
    I tried that from the other thread where i first posted (linked in the opening post), and it did not have any effect on the huge stuttering/framedrops i experience. I do se however the nvidia utility suggest there is a newer driver available now (it did not state so earlier when i reported the problem), so i think that will be my first try when i am back in front of my "gaming computer".

Thanks for the tips :)

6. Daniel Beck

Daniel Beck New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the exact same problem as you knut. Only not that severe. :(

7. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I noticed this for the first time ever a couple days ago on Bathurst, I just purchased a gtx 970. This is very odd. Everything runs at very high frame rate (160 most of the time) then you get that one tenth of a second tiny freeze then it resumes. It hits like twice a lap or so on there sometime more. I started to try everything poeple mentioned.

Reduced shader,
    Changed resolution and switch it back.
    Full screen or windowed(still full screen) and I am still gettingn this.

Disabled everything in windows that could be causing anything but like I mentioned I didn't have anything like that before. I am tempted to re-install my gtx 770 in there and see if it does that or not.
    Also I had an empty Sdd drive I could potentially install win10 on it just to test raceroom.

Unless someone has an idea of what could be happening I'll keep testing

8. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    That's odd MeMots. I have a 970 and get well over 100FPS with no stuttering or freezing at all.

9. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Bathurst ? Shaders and shadow at max with split ? I do use tripple screen. Like I said its not a fps issue its quite high at all time, its a small freeze very quick but enough to trow you off the mighty twisty decent from mount panorama :)

10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    The only difference between my setup and yours is I don't use triples

11. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. I didn't get that on triple screen on gtx 770 but I was on medium details. I'll make it medium and test

12. tcb77

tcb77 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I believe this problem is related to the windows 10. I returned to win7 precisely because games like RaceRoom, Stock Cars Extreme and rFactor2, unfortunately does not work satisfactorily in win10. I use a combo GTX 970 / i7 3770K and anyway these games have frame rate stutters all the time. That resolution issue is also related to win10 and I had this problem too. Really AC, pCars, Dirt Rally has no problems with windows10. It's really too bad having to go back to win7 but just so my problems were solved

13. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I am using windows 7, And like I mentioned never had this before. Only new thing that happened, Well there was the game patch and I got a new video card from gtx 770 to gtx 970

14. tcb77

tcb77 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    There are several hypotheses for this MemotS....Can be the video driver, you might have already done this, but try to install the latest version....processor (can be thermal paste) or the GTX 970 can be running at high temperatures....You can try to reinstall directx9...like you said, could reinstall your gtx 770....i already listen some friends talk about the old cards works betther with the ISI engine, when i bought RaceRoom already had the GTX 970, then never tried using another card. Normal, the problem you're reporting is not, then really something is wrong on your setup. I will install Windows 10 on another hd to check if with new Patch, RaceRoom could be working better now. Once i do, let you know the results.

15. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Well i have good news and or bad news.

Good news it its fixed.
    Bad news is I am really not sure what might have fixed it.

I went in single screen last night to record from replay ( Triple screens and shadowplay don't work well together )
    and of course changed resolution and details back to max ... Then i decided to check Bathurst ( The only track that i noticed the issue on ) and there was no issue of course. So then afterward i did not change the graphic details that were all at max and switched back to triple screen. Loaded up the game and the track. Boom not a single stutter.

So unfortunately i don't have the solution for the next person who might have the issue. I know i did this. Re-installed the drivers , Also rebooted and changed resolution in game , exited and re-launched it and issue was gone.

16. knut m helgeland

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have tried different drivers, but same result, and in my case the stuttering is extreme. The fix i have with changing the resolution before driving works pretty good (perhaps some microstuttering even though the FPS feels pretty constant), but it is a bit annoying to remember to change the resolution each time i start R3E.

None of the other games i currently play (AC, iracing, battlefield 3) have this issue, and for me it started with upgrading to win10. I had win8.1 before, but i do prefer not to go back to win8.x. I would guess the issue is with win10 or a driver/windows combination that makes this problem occur. Its just a hopeless job to find out exactly what :)

17. Daniel Beck

Daniel Beck New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My problems did also start after installing Win10.

18. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Could you all please post your graphic-cards? The most seems to have a Nvidia-Card.
    Nvidia is struggeling with their Win10-Drivers a bit at the moment. And it seems that R3E is a bit sensitive on that point.

@pixeljetstream mentioned somewhere that you should try to reduce the pre rendered Frames in the Nvidia-Driver-settings to 1. Maybe that could help?

19. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0