Released Group 5 Class update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 26, 2016.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    NOTE:
    As with any physics update of already released cars, we strongly recommend that you reset the CAR SETUP and the STEERING SETTINGS to their default values!

We have seen a couple questions about what exactly is going into this Group 5 update.
    What's better than taking the information straight from @Karsten Borchers and his development notes?

Here's what he had to say about the update:

DRM 1980, Porsche 935 and Zakspeed Capri (Division1) have set the baseline for power/weight/performance.
    Like with previous classics, I try to make them as they were back in the day, so these run on big fat high slip angle bias slicks.
    The Turbo armada have a great degree of Turbo lag, so you need to anticipate when they kick. Get the power, and the right amount going, and the 'correct' point in the corner, to have the power available when you really need. Feel too safe and open the taps too early, while still having a certain degree of steering lock going, and they will fishtail very fast.
    All cars have a 2nd final ratio, a shorter one, to quickly change for low speed tracks.

Fabcar 935
    The data used for this one has been Porsche 935/77, 935/78 and Kremer K series. Had good data on this one, so based on their aero, wheelrates, damper rates, and weight distribution (empty and full fueled) I had a good guideline for the rest of the cars.
    The Fab is understeering, so you dont want to force it into the corners. Let it bite, deploy the massive power at the right time, and it just squats and launches out of the corners. Speed is its strength.

• 3.2L Flat 6, Twin Turbo
    • 800hp @ 8000
    • 795Nm @ 5500
    • 4 speed gearbox. Ratios available are from the Porsche 915 transmission.
    • Spool differential, so 100% locked.
    • RWD
    • 1025 kg empty
    • 39/61 weight distribution. 44/56 fueled and battle ready.
    • 120 liter fuel tank, located above front axle.
    • Downforce based on the 935/78 and Kremer K3 figures.
    • 720/20 steering, with a 2.8 FFB Multi

Zakspeed Capri, Division 1
    Lacks the power compared to the Fabcar, but makes up for it in the corners and under braking. Very nimble car that loves to be thrown around. And yes, it has positive rear camber ;)
    • 1.7L Inline 4, Single Turbo (it ran both twin and single, but they had too many problems with the twin configuration)
    • 600hp @ 9000
    • 482Nm @ 6500
    • 5 speed gearbox. Ratios reused from Porsche 915, just tailored to this one.
    • 90% lock differential.
    • RWD
    • 830 kg empty
    • 51/49 weight distribution. 45/55 fueled and battle ready.
    • 110 liter fuel tank, located behind rear axle.
    • Has a little more downforce than the Fab. The additional downforce coming from the huge venturi.
    • 720/20 steering, with a 2.9 FFB Multi

BMW 320 Turbo

Based on the North American version (GTX), McLaren BMW 320 Turbo, that was running against the Porsche 935's, so it was running with a lot more power, compared to its European counterparts, that were running in Division 2 spec.
    • 2.0L Inline 4, Single Turbo
    • 650hp @ 9000
    • 521Nm @ 6700
    • 90% lock differential.
    • RWD
    • 875 kg empty
    • 52/48 weight distribution - Div 2 had 50/50, so considering bigger engine and more plumbing, I gave it 2 more forward. 46/54 fueled and battle ready.
    • 110 liter fuel tank, located behind rear axle.
    • Has a little more front downforce than the Fab, but same rear amount.
    • 720/20 steering, with a 2.8 FFB Multi

Nissan Skyline 2000RS Turbo
    Japanese ran their Gr 5's in the Silhouette series, and it seems their regulations were a tad bit different, when looking at the specifications. Their power/weight ratio didn't come close to the other Gr 5 series, so I had to wind up the boost a little to compensate.
    The car is a bit of a odd bird, in the sense that it has a fairly long wheelbase and quite a narrow track (identical front and rear), with tiny frontwheel and massive rearwheels, so was quite hard to solve the handling on this one.

• 650hp @ 7600 (570hp org spec)
    • 618Nm @ 6400 (539Nm org spec)
    • 90% lock differential.
    • RWD
    • 1005 kg empty
    • 50/50 weight distribution. 45/55 fueled and battle ready.
    • 110 liter fuel tank, located behind rear axle, and sits very high, so you feel it slapping around.
    • Has a little less downforce than the Capri, so 2nd most in class.
    • 720/20 steering, with a 2.6 FFB Multi

Nissan Silvia Turbo
    The Silvia is a very balanced car, with some mid-engine characteristics, so good traction, a little slow on turnin, but good out of corners and in long sweepers. Compared to the Skyline, the Silvia has a shorter wheelbase and much wider track, so it sits well in the corners. Is using the same engine as the Skyline, but its putting 45kg more on the scale, and has less downforce, so to compensate its a low drag car, and it runs nearly as fast as the draggy Fabcar down Döttinger Höhe.
    • 650hp @ 7600 (570hp org spec)
    • 618Nm @ 6400 (539Nm org spec)
    • 90% lock differential.
    • RWD
    • 1050 kg empty
    • 49/51 weight distribution. 44/56 fueled and battle ready.
    • 110 liter fuel tank, located behind rear axle, and sits quite a bit back.
    • Not as much downforce as the Skyline, but has superior drag.

Chevrolet Dekon Monza
    Exists in many different configurations, both engine/drivetrain and body work. For this one I settled for the 650 hp 6.0L version, cause I simply needed the power to make it perform like the rest of the Gr 5's. Also had to slim it down 60kg. A lot of power on instant delivery, so use the throttle with some caution.
    Regarding the transmission, both 4 and 5 speed were used. I just found the 4 speed suited it best, with this powerful engine

• 6.0L V8
    • 650hp @ 7200
    • 753Nm @ 5000
    • 4 speed gearbox.
    • Standard open Corvette differential, with a massive pre-load spring.
    • RWD
    • 1030 kg empty
    • 53/47 weight distribution. 49/51 fueled and battle ready.
    • 120 liter fuel tank, located behind rear axle.
    • In the middle of the pack with downforce.

Chevrolet Greenwood Corvette
    Plenty of variants for this one too, so settled for one of latest, the 1977 model (is what our model is too). That's one chassis version earlier than the Supervette, who's engine I chose to shoehorn into this one. Had too, cause the 700hp (1974-76) version wasn't enough.
    This car is all about straight line speed. Power isn't so hard to get in the ground, as long as you use some common sense, and dont just smash the pedal. Especially when coming back on the gas again.
    Braking is like a train compared to the others. Same overall brake effect (all cars have that), and this one is 500kg heavier than the Zakspeed, so that gives you an idea. Plus it reaches the corners at quite the speed.

• 9.8L V8
    • 900hp @ 6800
    • 1093Nm @ 4000
    • 4 speed gearbox.
    • Standard open Corvette differential, with a massive pre-load spring.
    • RWD
    • 1309 kg empty
    • 54/46 weight distribution. 49/51 fueled and battle ready.
    • 120 liter fuel tank, located way behind rear axle.
    • Barely any downforce. Some in the rear.
    • 720/20 steering, with a 2.0 FFB Multi

Fuel consumption

Approx 50 min is a good rule of thumb. Doing low 20's on Spa, the spread between them for me, is 52m22s to 52m48s.
    As per usual, it all depends on track and driver.

Its set by 0.7L / Km, that I picked up in a DRM (1980 or 81) race video, using the Capri (110L). The two 120 liter cars are then using a little bit more, so that they all do just about the same distance.

That's just above 7 laps around the regular Nordschleife. Back in the day, the most powerful Div 1 DRM cars, even struggled to complete 7 laps on the back then 22.8km long Nurburgring. So it is able to run 7 laps on the 24H layout, but only just about :)

Tyre wear

Tyre wear has been set to match fuel burn. So as they wear and grip reduces, you might want to show some more throttle caution, or you will just wear them even quicker. Goes fast suddenly, if not somewhat careful.
    Varies depending on track. Low grip track will have quite a lot more wear than a high grip track.

• Love it! x 27
    • Like x 17
    • Wonderful x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Sounds great, can't wait to test them! Btw, any new Gr5 cars coming in foreseeable future? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Good Lord.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kostadin Kostadinov

Kostadin Kostadinov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Guess who's going to bed early tonight, my kid is about to hate you :)
    Can't wait, this should be epic. Thanks guys you're awesome!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. joyster

joyster New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Corvette @ Sonoma - hahahahahahahahaa

6. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    The comment for each cars is definitely a quality addition.
    Thanks for providing the "lore" for those who don't know (or know little) about the meta behind the numbers.
    Awesome job

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jukka Karppinen

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    It's back! Off the testing now :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Would love to see that for all cars new and old.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    So do they drive differently now?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jukka Karppinen

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Allright, after short test i can say i really like the update! Can't give very detailed feedback as i haven't played gr.5 cars much lately so some of my notices may be placebo but, generally cars seems to be understeer now more, turbo lag is more noticeable (as is turbo kick wich is fun), feeling of weight is better in corners. Yet slides seems to be better under control now. All positive (more realistic) changes in my opinion, big thumbs up and back to testing :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Exactly what I have hoped for ;)

12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Enjoyed the read, let alone the cars! Looking forward to trying them out when I can thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kostadin Kostadinov

Kostadin Kostadinov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Just downloaded the 1.1 GB update, boy that's another impressive change-log. You're sure look like the hardest working sim developers at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes Sir, very much so Sir.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Just tested all the cars out and what a great update!

As noted in the first post the driving style required for each car is different which really makes it fun learning how to handle each one. Personal favourites so far are the Fabcar for the amazing on boost power and the Corvette Dekon Monza for the way you can drive it so precisely in the corners with its linear power delivery.

Brilliant car class overall, keep up the good work Sector 3!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yep nice update, none of this wayward steering anymore, much more driveable now..Did they actually fit brakes to the Corvette in real life, the braking distance is huge, it's like trying to stop a ocean going tanker..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Only had time to check the Greenwood out... man that car is insane now, it is a real challenge to keep it on the road, and it is just FUNFUNFUN...wow

18. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree on the Corvette, it really is handful now and great fun to drive that tail. But imho the Fabcar has lost it's teeth. Stable tail, I can brake far later and harder than before the update without the slightest danger of the tail breaking out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Tested them, well the old Capri Ghia and bloody marvelous, finding them perfect to drift out of high speed bends, controlling the oversteer far more realistic, pucker job Karsten, take a bow young man! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wacha

Wacha New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I find most of the turbo cars far easier to drive than before. I usually had to increase the rear wing downforce to stabilize the rear end when exiting corners and I now find myself doing the opposite. Maybe it is more realistic (I've never driven the real cars, or anything similar to these beasts), but the turbo cars have lost some of the "beasty" aspects that I loved so much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1