Ideas And Suggestions! (features and game mechanics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    All we need is a simple chat box. I'm not even bothered about voice chat. Back in my club racing days on Gran Turismo 5, all we used was the text chat function. Worked really well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yep, you could do this in Gran Turismo too. And everyone stayed in the room until they were ready to leave so they could chit-chat or go practice some more or do another race. It was a great social experience that I really enjoyed and I miss it in PC sims.

Yes, it did. But the voice chat worked well too and some of us do enjoy chatting up our fellow drivers while racing so it would be a nice feature to have. Teamspeak works fine but requires coordination from an outside source (forum) as well as extra setup so you can't just jump on a random server and start chatting with the people you're racing. Would be nice to have it integrated. (if a 8 year old PS3 could handle this, why can't our mega purpose built gaming machines do it?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    We had a rule: no chat during the race. I find voice chat especially distracting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    We did too, same with qualifying. But during practice or after the race it was allowed, and enjoyable.

5. Backmarker

Backmarker Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that would be nice! But the chat feature must have the option for player to have it OFF/ON.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. IndEnt

IndEnt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Please move the selection of sequential and H-shifting to the car-setup section - then can we save it car-specific.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And the selection of auto clutch on/off.

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    that you can do in car while driving ; its not that much hassle

Andi

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp - that's right... but maybe the Selection of H-Pattern/sequential and Autoclutch on/off can be integrated in the same Car-Setup-Menu like the Steering-Look which would change in a more general Car-Setting-Menu...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    agreed

Andi

11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    also a ffb overall force slider in the setup would be nice. currently i have like 4 ffb profiles for different cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Backmarker

Backmarker Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this would be a nice feature. I know iRacing has a "universal" options for all cars that is saved. Then anytime you use an individual car you can check a box that says sumfink like "use separate options for this car" where you can adjust options and the game keeps it only for that particular car.

• Like Like x 2
  13. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    for the sake of confusion it would be nice if nonadjustable settings for the cars were
    1 grayed out,
    2 labeled fixed or something like that,
    or 3 removed from the screen completely.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I said this in another thread, but this is a more appropriate place for it.

More head movement in the car cockpit is something I really wish was an option. I've heard that there are files you can edit to get those effects, but that kind of thing should be a slider or two in the options menus like other games have them. I find the current ultra-rigid camera to feel a little unnatural.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I know you can map keys to increase/decrease camera movements in the cockpit, but I'm guessing this isn't what you're referring to.

16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The text file edits basically mimic the damping effect of the head in response to the car's movement. It's not true lock-to-horizon in the traditional sense but the result is actually better in my opinion. It stops the horizon bouncing around all over the place which can be nauseating - the cockpit bounces around instead. With these tweaks you have the added benefit of the driver's view remaining locked forward if you know what I mean, so when you drive up and down steep hills the driver's view doesn't try to track the horizon which can look a bit odd.

I know Sector3 have their hands full but I'm sure this is something that could be implemented into the in-game options without too much fuss. It only needs three global sliders for pitch, roll and yaw, representing the three values that you edit in the text file for each car. The end result is so good that it's a shame it's hidden away in text files.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
  19. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Just try it mate. Pick a favourite car, go into the relevant cockpit_driver_view.xml and find the line:

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

I use a more subtle setting of 40.00000000 0.00000000 40.00000000. This zero means there is no yaw movement (don't like it), just pitch and roll. See what you think.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    @James Cook, Sounds very promising, I'll give this a go later tonight. I don't want a true lock to horizon because like you said that makes things get weird when you're up/downhill, and this sounds like it's better.