In response to the so called 'leak'.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chris Speed, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Felix Azur

Felix Azur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All textures of these cars will be modified to the EU4, or only the next car after the release of the EU4 ?

2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    probably...no one knows...its along way off probably.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Lol, maybe they're gonna switch to ue5 meanwhile;).
    Sorry, was just joking!:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Guys, the fact that we are investigating new technologies (UE4) doesnt necessarily mean it will be used in R3E or elsewhere. We are simply doing research to evaluate different possibilities.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  5. Felix Azur

Felix Azur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok ok @Georg Ortner ;)

But it would be so good R3E migrates on EU4 !!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Stipe Ljubic

Stipe Ljubic Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    After all this good support i think you would make a mistake to not implement it and continue to give us some ''behind the scenes'' and some WIP pictures and teasers ;)
    Of course if it financially possible...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify, as a beta tester, I'll confirm that there is NO UE4 related things being tested in WIP, at least not outside the studio.

I agree though, the response has been very positive. A move for R3E to UE4 would be very welcome by the looks of things. However, UE4 is free to use... unless money is made from using it, after the first $4000 (iirc) there is a 5% royalty to be paid which would mean a 5% loss of earning for Sector3 Studios, that has to be taken into consideration too and can't be taken lightly. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Felix Azur

Felix Azur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's right @Ronin_GTDave ;)

However, we must think of the future for R3E, and I think if Sector3 wants R3E exist long in the reference sets SimRacing, a passage UE4 is mandatory !!!

9. Stipe Ljubic

Stipe Ljubic Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I was relating to developers, if you want to make something faster/better (Or in first place just to make something) you need more people but you have to pay those people to work for you... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The game certainly needs programming work foremost. Getting people to do this job ain't easy. It may be a bit easier by using something off the shelf (unity ue4 ...) which also comes with benefits for long term planning and bigger features. You have to keep in mind that whomever they hire, must work with the old code base, that s3s inherited. As programmer I would want to see a light at the end of the tunnel and not just endless patching legacy code ;) so a light named ue4 or whatever other option is certainly charming.

As others mentioned r3e may as well be infinite in development, just like most online gamesi. Agreed at some point they should loose the beta tag. But it doesn't really matter much for us who already play.

I think we can safely expect more of the core gameplay features done prior an engine shift (blue flags...). AMS is quickly enhancing its online offer (what R3E traditionally had done well for long) and has a more complete base game, that will put a bit of pressure on r3e.

Think the year will end well for both those games, good for us.

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I would feel confident that the renewed public interest and therefore extra revenue generated from a switch to UE would more than cover that 5%. You have to speculate to accumulate sometimes and I feel this would be a venture that pays dividends in the long term.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Gigglegiggle, I was tempted to post that the important two word sin the original message were "investigation" and "evaluation", and that that implies nothing has been fixed and decided.

Replacing a whole graphics engine is not really a small task.If they do it, I expect no visible results in the sim I can play within this year. My guess would reach significantly into next year.

We are in the luxurious position that we may get a new looks to a sim that already is looking awesome right now. There is no desperate need to replace the graphics.

So take this thread as what it is: an indication that somebody is aiming for supporting RR for longer time to come (and I recall that last summer or so I had doubts about the longtime staying of the sim and developer...), and that any guess beyond that is just that: speculation, a big "maybe".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    At the very, very least.

14. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    It seems many people are misunderstanding just what a switch to UE4 (or any other major technology/framework switch) would entail. Many people seem to be approaching it from the standpoint that it would mostly be just graphical changes, but literally the entire game would need to be 'shifted' to work specifically within whatever framework they would move to.

I have no familiarity with the ISI G Motor engine, but I have used Unity extensively and dabbled in Unreal 3 and 4. Even just switching from one engine to another often requires major, if not total, re-writes/re-works of major systems (Like physics, graphics, UI, controller usage, etc). Also you would want to change/overhaul some of the systems to take advantage of technology present in whatever framework you switched to. Unreal, for example, has SpeedTree enabling better looking and quicker rendering trees. To utilize SpeedTree appropriately would require complete overhauls of tree models and tree placement, at the very least, within each track. That's just one small facet of what may or may not change within the tracks not even getting into things like texture size, texture requirements, different texture and model optimizations, different rendering pipelines, and so on. The list can be nearly infinite.

So, as nice as it would be to simply swap to UE4 and have all the niceties and pretties immediately, it's worth understanding just how much would go into a massive scale change like this from every angle. So it's not just a matter of any licensing/royalty costs, it's also the massive man-power/man-hour cost involved in correctly getting the same look and feel from the new framework while also leveraging the new and/or improved options available.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Maybe there are some lower level interfaces that would allow you to keep some of your own structure.
    That is more general work up front, but a less disruptive actual migration. I don't know the Unreal engine, so maybe it is completely impossible, but I did migrate systems to totally different platforms, and there this philosophy did work out well.

16. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Unreal Engine is not only graphics. Sector 3 would have to implement their outstanding Physics into that engine, and after that it would´nt work on any actual PC, cause it has to do two several tasks. I dont think its possible like you think, but it would look great indeed :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    BTW if Unreal Engine was so great, wouldn't we have more Racing game using it ?

At this time there's not a single racing game (even arcady) that use UE... Most of the racing games use custom Engine when it's not some ISI one. There might be a good reason for that ;)
    I always read that UE is not great for racing sim, because of the physics, the FFB, etc that are quit specific of racing games.

18. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    At least Kart Kraft is using the Unreal Engine 4. Ok, it's Kart-Racing but on physics-side Karts are another very specific categorie within racing-sims. Everything I've seen from Kartkraft so far seems quite promising...

Unreal Engine 4 is quite new and there aren't much games released yet... maybe Version 4 offers more possibility's than the older Unreal engines?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Rocket League uses it :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I may be wrong but KartKraft is not released yet :p
    And as it's came from a very little dev team (ASAIK) it's fair from them to take something that exist and it's easy to licence.

But so far, UE, CryEngine, Unity, all of these Engine are mostly focused on FPS games.
    You can make Demos with them for other game gender (Mario Like, TPS, RPG, etc).. but FPS/TPS are the main use of UE & Cie.
    There's a reason why Kunos choosed to do it's own new engine from scratch, why ISI motor exist, why cody use Ego, iracing do it's own stuff, etc ...
    It's mainly because racing sim have specific needs, that may not be solved by such engines.
    Of course you can have stunning graphics, but if on the other side you can't have accurate physics, wheel supports (with good FFB, etc) .. it's useless.