Question Multiplayer Lobby bad/no ping's with new Router

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by k.C goran, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Peter Eckhardt

Peter Eckhardt Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  2. Peter Eckhardt

Peter Eckhardt Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Didnt help for me :(

3. Michael Me

Michael Me New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hello,
    @Sonat Ozturk thank you. I've attached both files (see below)

Concerning our isp, I'd guess it is impossible to get "such" deep technical Informations as a normal/ typical client ...
    it's nearly impossible to get a person with knowledge on the phone either and if you have one, they are not allowed to tell anything because of company secret/ data security/ german legislation and terms of the contract...

Hopefully my files help you to solve the issues with the mp_alpha browser....

Attached Files:

4. k.C goran

k.C goran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Today i was phoning with the ISP Support from Deutsche Telekom because of the Multiplayer Problem.Unfortunately I couldn't talk to a Technician or Engineer.Earlier that was possible(now you have to pay for a special Service like that and you really don't know if it's worth for a problem like that).
    Anyway I described the Problem with all important details.Of course they couldn't give me any
    information on that issue.
    The Problem is now recorded and they will contact me on that,but I think that will not help us so far.

As long as Nobody can tell where the Problem is,i think it's not an good idea buying another Router or other Hardware that might solve the Problem.I was thinking about getting an Router Model from another Manufacturer.First the Problem should be discovered and then People should react.If it's sure that this ISP is blocking or have somekind of bad Configuration for Services
    that doesn't do nothing bad,then THEY have to fix it.

So far ...

k.C goran

5. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

We honestly don't want to put all the blame on the ISP. Clearly it doesn't like something we do and we're investigating what that is.

Most of you also confirmed that the issue does not happen in other experiences, which makes us think it's related to having too many servers on the RRE MP browser.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Michael Me

Michael Me New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have bought all experiences you have released so far. Concerning mp_alpha I can tell the following:

DTM'13:
    10 Servers are shown in the browser.

The 1st. game-start with DTM'13 made it possible for me to join a mp_server with "no ping" ! ...but that was it.

After "quit" from the server, suddenly all 10 Servers have had (great) pings. A server rejoin (any server) didn't work.
    Same after full game.exe restart. pings are/were shown, but no "server response" --> mp racing not possible.

DTM'14:
    14 Servers are shown in the mp_alpha browser (for me). 13 of them have had a ping. no online races can be joined because of the "no response from server" issue

ADAC'14
    8 servers shown in mp but same issue as DTM'14 ...Server have had pings, but "no response from server" --> mp racing not possible...

Very strange ... but the 1st game-start today had made it possible for me to join a multiplayer server with no ping.

hmm

7. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

i found some interesting info's on this Problem.It now clearly seems that this thing lays
    within the peering of Deutsche Telekom and the Backbone of Level 3(Level 3 Communications is an American multinational telecommunications and Internet service provider company).

http://www.level3.com/en/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_3_Communications

Their Router's won't ping several Online Games and Services at the handover point.Which causes Problem's if your Data Packages routed through the Level 3 Backbone.For me that's in most cases so,because most of my Traffic is
    going over the City of Frankfurt where those Level 3 Backbones are.Frankfurt is like the big Internet Cross for Germany.
    You can check that by your own with doing an Traceroute.This Problem is known and you can read it for example here.

http://www.heise.de/netze/meldung/N...ussert-sich-zu-Peering-Problemen-2390214.html
    (sorry this is in German)

Or simply try searching in the Internet for that info's.I hope i understood everything right.If not somebody please give some better information's on that.

Last what i heard is,that everything is all about ISP-politics.Forcing other smaller Provider's to establish new Technologies,so that this one big ISP dominates....

Anyway I hope that this info's are worth enough to post it here and might help to discover the Problem.

I'm not sure but I think this is a bigger Thing and will take more Time till it's fixed.

till then

Cheers:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Peter Eckhardt

Peter Eckhardt Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    @ K.C. Goran why i have only problems with RRE and not with ADACe and DTMe , All going through the Frankfurt Backbone. The fault must be at Sector3 . There way of MP is`nt right or they doing something wrong because other games has`nt that problem.
    e.g RF2 ,AC,pcars.
    Correct me when i am wrong Sector 3 ! Fact is I cannot play RRE in MP which was my aim to buy RRE

9. Michael Me

Michael Me New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have been able to play mp_alpha from time to time today....
    I had just clicked the car again and again and after 8-15 tries or so it had suddenly worked and I could finally race mp...didn't matter if the server had a ping or not.. but that wasn't always the case ... sometimes it didn't work to click the car again and again... always same message (no response from server)... a restart of the game had fixed it somehow ... and after 8-15 clicks on the car (again), the mp_game had suddenly loaded once.... but not again after...

Does someone with this mp_issue have games like rFactor or rfactor2 ? ...how do those games work with the speedport 724 ?

I am not interested in those games but it would be interesting to know how other ISI-engine-mp_games work with the router.
    too bad i didn't own AC until now .... I'd like to know about the AC_mp as well...does it work or same issues ?
    Since everything else works great and even better in comparison the old connection/router I'd guess the fault is "somewhere else to find" ... software build ?

10. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    So you guys get routers from your isp?

In the USA we usually get modems from our isp, which we then connect our own router to.

11. Peter Eckhardt

Peter Eckhardt Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    It depend on the ISP ,some of them make good offers incl Hardware,Anti Virus Software etc

12. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Interesting.

13. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Hello Guys,

first Peter Eckhardt:I can not join any Multiplayer.Wether if it's GT master's or DTM or RaceRoom.Even in race07 it's not possible.I think it's better not to blame Sector3 or the ISP as far as We don't know where the Problem is.

Michael Me:If I am right with the peering Problem then you have some sort of bottleneck on their Backbone Ports. That's why you can connect sometimes or for a while.At least the Connection drops and then you have no ping at all.

I have Setup a VPN tunnel to Sweden and connected then to the Multiplayer Lobby.Trough this I simply get an Swedish IP and override the Routing over Level3.Guess what???Everything works.I can connect to all Server's and drive.DTM,GT Master's and RaceRoom as well.Also in Race07 Lobby didn't have connection issues anymore.Ping was not perfect but it works(50-80ms)That was only for testing.Normaly you don't want to use VPN Tunnels for Online Gaming.But maybe this shows up,that the peering is the Problem.

Maybe the Dev's of Sector 3 can tell us what they think.

Cheers
    k.C goran

14. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I use a vpn for it

15. maxel

maxel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting Goran.
    I hope that helps to find the problem

16. Peter Eckhardt

Peter Eckhardt Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My problem is I cannot join RRe servers only . DTMe and ADACe is working fine . It was disappered a while ago and came back with updates ? . All pings in server list are under 100 but i ve no server with 5000 . Something is rahter strange but nobody knows . I will not blame Sector3 ,its a awesome game but maybe they have a unusual way to do server setups

17. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Yeah,a lot of thing's are somehow strange on that and I don't understand all of it.Unusual Server Setups...i'm not sure,cause I can connect through VPN.Makes no sense then.Would be nice if some Pro's have a look on it.I spend a lot of hours with reading and testing.The next day's I will Test several other Router's and thats than enough for me.:)

18. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I would think your isp is blocking...maybe not intentionally, something. That is why I use a vpn for this game.

19. Michael Me

Michael Me New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hello k.C goran,
    very nice find and usefull informations!
    In your first post you had written that you're using the Speedport W724v.
    My understanding, and what I have found out so far is, that it is not possible to set up a vpn tunnel with this router (alone)?!
    I've no idea could you please explain (in detail) how you have done it with the speedport router, guess with additional hardware and openVPN ?

Concerning speedport W 724V protocol ability and vpn I've found something in the www:

This doesn't work:

- speedport IPSec -> NO
    - speedport IPSec passthrough for a IPSec enabled device behind -> NO
    - speedport PPTP -> NO
    - speedport L2TP -> NO
    - speedport L2TP passthrough for a L2TP enabled device behind -> NO
    - speedport OpenVPN -> NO

This works:

- speedport PPTP passthrough (port forwarding) for a PPTP enabled device behind -> YES
    - speedport OpenVPN passthrough (port forwarding) for a OpenVPN enabled device behind -> YES

As I had mentioned before .... I have absolutly no problems with pings or general connections in any mp game, sims or mp-launchers I have...except simbin/S3 releases.... and all since the new router.
    Even over 12 year old mp titles work without problems ...
    I really don't want to mess up things because everything works fine ;)

So my guess is S3/simbin is doing something different compared agains all other mp-game developer in the world ;)

Are there any news concerning a fix or patch related to this mp issue ?

20. Peter Eckhardt

Peter Eckhardt Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    That exactly what i thing, S3 making something different to all other Gamingstudios