App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Guys, when you get these tyre messages at the end of the race, is it only when you've won?

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I can't tell :oops:

3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'll change it so if the leader has finished the race, those messages don't trigger. Should be enough to fix it either way.

Anyone spotted any more bugs?

4. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Racing at Sonoma I had, on two separate occasions, a spotter warning to hold my line as I was approaching the first right hander after the start line. There was no car within half a second of me either time. The warnings were several laps apart.
    Thanks for this app Mr B it makes the game even more alive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    these weird 'ghost' overlaps have proved *really* difficult to prevent, and are due to 'noise' in the raw data I'm getting from Raceroom. I think I know why this is happening, I've discussed it with S3, and there might be a solution in the pipeline. But it'll be a little while - the Sector3 guys have got more pressing matters to attend to at the moment :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Righty, I've just uploaded 2.5.2. This disables tyre wear and a few other events once the leader's finished the race, fixes a minor queue issue, and addresses a major bug in the gap reporting and push-now events. These 2 events were supposed to check if the player is racing the same car in front / behind for some period of time. If he is, then the events are allowed to trigger. If the position changes then they don't trigger. This check was broken resulting in gap reports ('the gap ahead is increasing' type stuff) and push-now messages playing when they really shouldn't.

• Like Like x 3
  7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I already saw (before any crew chief app ;) ) that sometime in the game there's turns where delta timing can be fool. It appends where two turns are close to each other, the system seems to think that the cars are on the same line/spot during a short period.

8. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... The potential issue we'd discussed concerned reading the data while it was being updated, rather than the data being wrong in the first place :(

9. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    [Edit] version 2.5.3 is now up

Got some time to overhaul the spotter last night and the results are quite good. The logic's been simplified (it had got be be very messy) which has made it easier to squash some bugs. I've moved the spotter into its own thread so it no longer has to wait for the other events to process. This also allows the spotter to run more frequently than the other events, making it more accurate.

I've also made the spotter more choosy about what R3E data it accepts. This makes it less susceptible to the noise in the data, so it's generally better. Not perfect, but a lot better than it was. I've also remove a couple of now redundant spotter options, and added a new spotter_update_frequency option. This is the time interval (ms) between spotter checks. It defaults to 50ms but I've not spent much time fine-tuning it.

There are a few other minor tweaks and fixes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    2.6.0 is now up. This doesn't add any new functionality, just better handling of crap spotter data (if the time deltas are garbage for more than 2 seconds it closes the radio channel). I've also made a few tweaks here and there that should lower the CPU use a little, and I've chopped the lead-in off the front of the spotter wave files. And a couple of other fixes that I forgot.

This version needs a new sound pack.

If anyone's struggling with high CPU usage, it can be run in basic mode (no spotter, no voice recognition, no buttons) and this should use very little CPU. To do this go to the properties screen and check "disable_immediate_messages", and save the changes (this will restart the app). Then make sure the voice recognition mode is set to 'disabled' and no buttons are assigned to any of the 3 button actions.

This makes the app run without starting a voice recognition Thread or a button listener Thread. It also stops the app processing 'immediate' messages which interrupt the normal message processing Thread - this is quite CPU intensive. You'll lose the spotter and the 'green green green' race start message, but the rest should still work.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's news to me. I hope it's a false positive but I'll update my virus check and investigate. Thanks for the heads up.

12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    False positives happen. I use a sandbox, G-Data Internet Protection Suite and Malwarebyte'S Anti-Malware, unlocked version. Both scanners occasionally call false positives. Happens rarely, but happens when you push all settings to almost maximum.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    My G-Data Suite actually scans with two engines, one in-house-developement by G-Data - and the actual BitDefender engine like Robyte's. I just downloaded the full zipfile 2.6 with sounds, and scanned them with G-Data and MBAM. No complaints. Robyte, good advise is to check and scan your full system. Go with HitmanPro, too.

Klingon advise: a once corrupted system always remains to be a corrupted system, no matter what measures were taken to clean it, becasue you never can be certain that you got really all them bugs. In case your rig got dirty: don't clean it - kill it. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I know the drill - once it's compromised the only option is to nuke it. But at this point I really don't think it *is* compromised but will keep digging. Skybird - did you can the 2.6.0_no_sound_pack version too?

Anyone else see any warnings on either of the packages?

15. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I just did a scan of "CrewChiefV2.6.0_with_sound_pack.zip" with my Avast! Free Antivirus 2015 and there's no virus detected. Maybe it's a false positive, as it seems to be, that "HEUR/QVM03.0.Malware.Gen" is the result of a heuristic scan.

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Frank. Robyte's scan report does look like a heuristic hit, which are prone to false positives. I'm doing various scans now to see what I can find.

This system has nothing hooky on it and was only installed 4 months ago. Hopefully its just a false positive...

17. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and can someone also scan the no_sound_pack version? This is the one Robyte's scanner flagged up

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Done. Negative find. All green lights over here.

Let's give Robyte a spanking. LOL :)

19. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Nah, can't be grumpy at someone reporting a potential virus hit - we all need to be careful and accept that, even on our shiny clean carefully maintained boxes, these things can still happen. Robyte submitted the file to 360 Total Security which is a smart thing to do.

Robyte - I'm still scanning my OS disk (it's now installed in my second box being scanned again - nothing found when it was scanned whilst its own OS was running). I'd really appreciate it if you could keep this thread up to date when a response comes back from 360 Total Security. It'd help other users of the app if you could update you original post with that info.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I still think we should nuke him - nuke him from orbit. :D LOL

Always wanted to do that, you know. :p