Show 'Physics model' version info on car selection screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MsportDan, Jan 14, 2016.

?

Physics model version info car selection

1. YES

50 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. NO

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a t300 GTE, ive tried many a setting in the FFB. At the moment im at high V/L values and low steering force. (ive tried low V/L forces and high steer force, tried in between doesnt make too much odds.) But i only drive the new cars now, ive given up with trying to fix the old ones. However i do think the m1 still has this lag inherent.

But as you say its probably a mix with ffb and the physics.

To add i had a DFGT before the TM, and i though tthe wheel would fix RRE issues.. it hadn't.

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Agree. But it wouldn't be of much help I think, because we'd end up with, how many cars are there now, 89?, with 89 nominal sets of physics. Each cars physics are done individually, and the process of creating those always brings new insights. The physics guys learn something new along the process every day, so every car is truely unique regarding its physics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But also isnt it something S3 would want to hide (the fact all the cars aren't at optimal?)

I personally think its helpfull in AC why cant it be in RRe. You know what cars are updates, maybe its my OCD in keeping things departmentalised.

4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Something along the lines of AC's showing of Tire Model combined with if the car has auto-blipping etc. is rather nice agreed. I also agree with Christian that all cars will be somewhat different still but it would help to show what cars S3 has gone back to tinker with.

I'll still bring out the turbobrick. Physics schmysics, Brick will Turbo.

5. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    this steering input lag and floaty feeling was my main concern when i started playing rre.increasing wheel sensitivity,decreasing steering lock and putting in a little speed sensitive steering made the job for me.newer classes have a proper feeling,im sure s3 are doing their best to evolve the game .we must have patience ,it sure is worth it :)

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That is a very good word I didn't know until now (well the English version of it). I think that's what we all like/have to do to reduce the complexity of the world around us every day, we need to do this to not go crazy irl.
    It's something I'm not gonna be able to quote on, cause those statements are hidden for a reason, but when talking to the devs it becomes clear to me that it really is a unique job each time, using what they know there and then to the best of their knowledge.
    The cars that are now being referred to as updated, will they be outdated in some months when other cars receive their physics update or new cars get released which might feel even better or at least different?

The thing is, what is optimal? I don't think any game/sim will every reach that state where it is optimal in terms physics, looks, sound, there's always room for improvement and I'm glad they try to do just that, improve with every job they do.

I quoted that bit from Karsten about tyres ofr the M1, which shows that even those are kinda unique on every car. New findings get carried over into the new projects that come up of course, but I don't think they could have maybe three categories (tyre model a, b and c) cause there are many more if you compare them side by side.

As for FFB I'm not so sure, maybe that is something that more general and could be expressed in categories.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    yep could be DFGT/Logitech issue (but not really as people with thrustmasters reports it too)... but it is still pretty simple for me:

Old physics/FFB --> one of worst experiences
    New physics/FFB --> one of best experiences

Old physics/FFB --> broken
    New physics/FFB and all other sims --> working perfectly fine
    :)
    Important thing is that devs aknowledge the issue - fixed it and all of us can now enjoy R3E

Problem is that new people trying R3E not knowing about this are than refering that R3E is crap that feels terrible and they just walk away and we have 10-20 people online mostly running free content on portimao.
    So perhaps Dans idea to have sceen informing you that this car is running old physics and FFB and therefore not representing current state of a game is not that bad .. or even better invest some time to update all content as fast as possible .. R3E is still carying bad reputation and this is not helping

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You might be happy to know that many of the classes of cars in the game are constantly being worked on and improved upon. Each class that gets updated, also comes with new knowledge that the devs gain from working on each of the cars.

It seems this past summer, major headway was achieved. The physics updates to the DTM, GTR3, and others were quite a massive step in the right direction to get the cars to feel more precise and direct.

Pretty much gone are the days where the cars would feel "floaty" and sway across the track.

To this point, you might also be pleased to know that the Prototype class is being looked into and will be updated with a bunch of improvements, most likely getting rid of all of that "floaty" feeling you notice.... ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @nate yep I know ;) and I`m happy to wait .. looking fwd ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just a small addition: It takes more than some time, it takes shitloads of time, they have to revisit every aspect (tyres, suspension, contacts, AI) of every car and then re-do the BOP for the class. It's a huge task.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    It's what makes Dans suggestion a good one, although it seems not a supereasy one to implement if R3E's car physics aren't in revisions but on a car basis. Still, some sort of naming scheme could probably be drummed up over a fika at the office and put into tooltips to give a heads up.

12. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  13. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ouvert, im interested on your opinion about the m1, as you share the same feeling with the old cars?

14. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    sure .. "some time" wasn`t ment as stay 2 hour longer today and "as soon as possible" doesn`t mean tommorow :) I realize it is time consuming , just feel like this one could be highest priority task (and probably is) .. I don`t recall how manny times did I explained to somebody that not all cars in R3E are floaty, that he needs to try those and those classes and don`t bother with older content for now .. we are loosing player base over this :)

give me few minutes .. conecting wheel right now, launching R3E in 3...2 ...1...
    EDIT: some server issues .. wont run :)
    But I remeber it being better than before update but still not where it should be .. not in tyres, suspension terms ... just still floaty in unnatural way ... but I`d like to test it befor saying for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It's up there somewhere, yes. :) (If only we were allowed to tell you what else is in store...:rolleyes: 2016 will be even bigger than 2015, trust me on that bit.)

16. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have no doubt S3 will surprise us this year, it can easily the the go to sim for the ultimate race weekend experience. But just wish i could drive all my content i purchased. :(

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, you can always sail the ones that feel floaty.
    Ahoy sailor! ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    My 2cts:

Maybe S3S is just not allowed to communicate on this for licensing issues.
    The licencing deal for R3E may be different compared to Asseto, as we pay the specific content and not a pack of o bunch of different content (full game or DLC).

Communication around which car is on the latest dev. may arm the sells of old content. Because: who will buy something tagged as "not up to date" even if this is something already good enough for most players.

Content should be displayed on an equal stand in the store and the game, otherwise the game will become only played with the very latest bits by player who will only see that this car is up to date, not this one.

That may be why even here devs. never gave us a complet list of what is up to date and what is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a very good point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You have some good points there about "old" vs "new" content and why people would be more likely to buy the new stuff if it says 'updated physics' while the old stuff doesnt... even if, for all intents and purposes, it drives fairly similar and is good enough for the majority of people.

However, I think there is another aspect to look at, which seems to have been discussed, but it really cant be stated enough.

Personally, I think the reason all of the content feels so different depending on what you use (what has been updated recently) feels this way simply because R3E is a project. Like many sim racing games, R3E isnt just something that spends a year in development, gets pumped out, and then has 1 yr of post release support while most of the dev team works on the "next" game.

Sim racing is all about long term projects and improvements over time. R3E is no different there. With a small team, you can really only work on a certain amount of content each year. More than that and quality suffers greatly as you are forced to pump out content without having unique physics (which every car in R3E has, even though many cars are similar), or without having good car models, etc.

It would make logical sense that old content that hasnt been updated in a long time, feels different than new content that has the benefit of new knowledge that the devs can incorporate moving forward. This past summer tire physics got a big boost as the devs worked with Kelvin van der Linde and got some solid info for his Audi R8. Now, this same knowledge was then applied to the other GTR3 cars, and those all got updated. Im fairly positive that the results blew a lot of people away. They felt vastly different than before, and were a huge step forward.

I cant think of a single sim that has all of its content on the exact same physics model, tire model, visual quality level, etc. AC has a bunch of differing content, rF2 had content that was 4+yrs old at one point, GSCE also has old content. Really the only 'sim' that breaks that mold is pCARS with their franchise model. But who really thinks all of the content there is on level terms?

Perhaps if Sector3 had a 150 man team like SMS/pCARS, or 600 like Turn 10/Forza, many people would be happier with the flow of updates... Hmm, now that I think about it, it was quite a shame I didnt win that massive Powerball jackpot in the US yesterday. That could have bought quite a lot of nice programmers for Sector3 ;)

On a serious note though, this cant be overstated. Content is updated as the devs schedules and workloads permits. As Christian mentioned above, updating content isnt just a simple matter of plugging in data. Endless testing and tweaks need to be made, AI redone, Balancing... you get the idea. Im not sure what the solution is to make everyone happy, but perhaps just using the cars you enjoy most while everything else is being updated may be most beneficial to ones psyche :)

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1