The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    FYI, it was not the enhance understeer thingy that fixed FFB for T300 after all (don't use it anymore), but the experimental gyro effect found in AC.ini that seem to enhance weight transfer. Feel is closer what the sim originally had.

2. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    For all using mods in AC, A3DR has released another two superb cars after his Veloce GTS-8, the Honda S800 RSC and the Honda S800 Cabriolet.
    100 bhp / 75 bhp, no more power is necessary.
    As soon as you gain confidence, laptimes are falling or it's pure fun taking the corners sideways.
    Strongly recommended. Btw, Veloce GTS-8 is great as well.
    upload_2016-12-11_14-11-45.png
    upload_2016-12-11_14-12-6.png
    upload_2016-12-11_14-14-2.png
    upload_2016-12-11_14-14-24.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Now, with the last update, which also bring Porsche pack 3, I have to say that the part who got my attention mostly was the introduction of championship mode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I think AC have done a great job with the Porsche Dlc's, the audio is defantly improving, and really luv the GT3RS and the Cup car, and the interiors are really nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget the 917k, that thing is a HOOT!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Loving the GT3 Cup. It's an unexpectedly satisfying beast that makes for some superb online races. I found the 917k and 908 to be surprisingly 'meh' though - was expecting to love 'em but the Mazda 787b is much more thrilling.

The championship mode is a nice addition, but the AI is really slow - much slower in championship mode than in single race mode, which takes the shine off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yeh the GT3 Cup is very good, but like you the AI isn't up to speed, on Spa with the Cup car their off my pace by 3.5secs, thats huge, and there not balanced across different tracks, I'm sure you use to beable to turn the AI up beyond 100% awhile ago.

8. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I think they noticed that bug, going by their history I suspect a hot fix won't be too far away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys!
    I'd like to try AC. Can someone suggest good complete series mod for AC? GT3 (ADAC, Blancpain), or maybe DTM1992? I am not interested in road cars and series with no real world connection. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

10. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Actually, that's the only thing that drags me to AC once in a while (GT3). Since I don't care at all about street cars either, and hate to waste time trying to figure out which cars go with the ones I like (most of them are single samples of a series).

I was waiting for the custom championships feature, now I was able to set my own Blancpain series with 8 venues. I'm happy for that.

P.S. Also the new Porsche GT3 cup could make a good champ. ;)

11. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    So, you are running Blacnpain Series 1.2 from Racedepartment?
    I am not interested in games without weather. I just have problem with my Oculus, and I want to rule out hardware problem by running game with native VR support. I like pCars, but nothing in there is real, so I'll try AC, at least with URD T5.

12. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    No no, I just set my own championship with the GT3s. The new feature allows you to do it yourself with more freedom than the mod. ;)

13. knut m helgeland

knut m helgeland Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Had to get the 3rd Porsche pack also...

Only tried 2 cars yet, the 911 GT3 Cup, and the 908 LH around Imola. As usual i pressed record on the shadowplay, and recorded the first few laps with both. Never mind the driver erros, but it gives an idea of the cars atleast :)

14. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    So I have been driving a lot of Assetto recently and... It's getting better. For one, the AI are no longer inhumanly fast in old cars like the Lotus 49 or the Maserati 250f, so you can finally do some racing in those and not feel cheated, they do seem a bit slow on the straights though. Now, if they only would start overtaking slower cars... At least they are not hell bent on killing you, in fact they do a pretty good job of avoiding contact.

From other good things, I really like the new V10 tires (too bad not all cars have them yet) and it also pleases me that the Ford GT is no longer a death-trap and can actually be driven around the Nordschleife without spending hours in the setup menu. There is the classic Silverstone layout, which is my favourite track for vintage racing. Some of the new Porsche cars are also very good to drive. I took the 911R for a spin around the tourist version of the Nord and did an embarrassing time of 7:40, but what an awesome car! And then there are rides like the Moby Dick which is atrocious (turbo lag, then a sudden kick of power sending you sideways, crappy brakes and just you try to clip that curb...). One other thing I finally managed to deal with are the inexplicable frame drops on some tracks in some places, all it took was reducing reflection quality to medium (no noticeable decrease in quality though), so the game now runs smooth as butter with everything else maxed out.

I kind of enjoy Assetto now, but it's still a glorified hot-lap simulator. And you know what, that is fine, I think that was probably always the intention of Kunos (you can blame them for lack of ambition though). For what it is, the game is pretty good. It just lacks something to make it addictive. You do a few laps, maybe a quick race or something and you are pretty much satisfied. What could make it great, would be a more engaging career mode. I don't think AC will have the capability to do this in a way that GTR2 or Race 07 once did, but I think this is the perfect game in terms of content to make a career that takes you through the history of motorsport, kind of like the old NFS Porsche 2000 did, but I doubt Kunos will ever realize this and do anything in that direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    To a large extent, AC does have a fair amount of GT3 cars that can easily populate the whole field. What is missing is the Aston, Camaro and Bentley.

Just another note on the title, I did some vintage racing today - the 917K, some Ford GTs and other cars from the era on Silverstone classic... Holy cow! This is really where Assetto shines, hell even the AI was performing impressively. I forgot to tune the settings and ended up with them set to 98%. It was a tough race, and I came in 5th (went off track twice and it cost me), but surprisingly, the more powerful Porsches actually occupied all the top spots leaving the Fords and slower Porsches in the dust. Basically this means the AI is overtaking, at least on higher difficulty.

It's too bad that there isn't enough content to simulate a full vintage series of any kind.

16. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I was surprised to not find packs (other than T5/EGT). Correct me if I am wrong, but if I want to build a series experience, I need to download car/livery one by one, right? And then, I'll need to carefully select cars for the grid (how to exclude cars with fantasy liveries if they all are GT3 tag)?

However I should stop wasting your time, as in any case I don't think I'll play this game as it is. While this game has excellent physics/ffb and graphics, that is not enough for me. Hopefully new features will be coming in the future.

17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa doesnt really have 'full series' mods. United Racing Design is really the only mod maker that has some actual series where there are numerous cars that are balanced and actually race together. That are also actually worth using. T5 is DTM, PX is LMP1/LMP2 and EGT is a GTE mod with a handful of cars.

There are simply no other scratch made series that I know about. There are some other series out there, but they are usually awful rF1 rips, or illegal Forza rips. Of which i personally use neither.

rF2 is generally the same way where there arent full series mods that release. rF2 does have a couple GT3 mods, but I find them all fairly poor. Hmm, actually, AC and rF2 both have the 2013 F1 season as a free mod. Although, speaking of rF1 mods... I believe this is one of them. However it is fairly well done, just dont look too closely at the 3d models :p

Generally speaking though, making a mod takes a hell of a lot of time, effort, and passion. What you see released are more 'pet projects' people have and labors of love, as opposed to making something to fill a gap in the official content. People make the cars they like, because they want to. They dont make cars that are missing simply because someone wants it made. So, no game is going to really have a full scratch made series. rF2 once again has the Enduracers mod, but that is flawed in a number of ways, and an old rF1 port i believe. Perhaps some of the cars are scratch made for rF2, but I think the bulk is just their old rF1 content.

All the sims out there compliment each other nicely. And it would most likely be worth your while to enjoy them all, seeing as they all offer their own benefits. One of AC's strength is its content roster. You dont really need to say much beyond "Porsche" to make this point.

If time is limited though, play what you enjoy. No real need to listen to others and have them persuade you to play their own preferred sim.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Nate, not trying to convince anyone to move out or to AC. Just made silly assumption based on this statement I've read many times online: "rF2 modding did not pick up". Natural question arises - where did modding go? I assumed - AC. After all, optimism is in the human nature :) And was surprised to find no complete series there. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. I have high opinion of AC engineers, read my post if in doubt. And please, do not lecture me on the amount of work modding takes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Whoops, that wasnt the intent of that comment I made. I meant it in the sense that you shouldnt let other people influence you and tell you what to play just because they like it. Not that you were trying to tell people to play something :p

That was more so a response not aimed at you as well. Just general reasoning as to why modding doesnt have full series. And in my opinion, it is because creating a car takes a whole lot of time and passion. And creating (X) amount of cars in a class to make a series is usually quite a lot more than any person can take on, or would be willing to take on.

Some people simply dont realize this and they see a racing sim that supports modding and then immediately question why there isnt [insert that persons favorite obscure series here] and then go on complaining and shaming modders in the process.

Cheers

20. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Got it Nate, yep, not everyone knows this stuff, but that's what it is being on the internet. That's why I understand devs of any game being silent :) Anyway, after trying AC, Sector3, you're my solid number 2! Keep up the good job (do flags work?)

• Like Like x 1