The Raceroom Business Model Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodger Davies, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i get promoted and think "hey lets race now faster cars more available series....No my friend!

Class D is full of content what im not a owner from. When im want to play a full series i need to pay 20-40€ again.

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Real easy. Next week run either 4 races or 4 time trials in the Solstice at Daytona 2007, the Cadillac Cup at Summit Point, or the Spec Racer at Daytona 2007, and that'll get you to C. You shouldn't have to buy anything until you hit B for Road if the schedule works out for you.

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I was already getting goosebumps and a slight tingling sensation in my left arm when I saw someone dug up this thread... :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    If it wasn't for the subscription I could have lived with the pricing, I thought the content was good, expensive but still somewhat worth it.

But that you have to subscribe to even have access to the content in practise, no thanks!
    Haven't touched iRacing since I found R3E.

+100
    Man I was mad when I bought the Lotus 49 and 79, just to discover both those series was dead.. .
    There was leagues for them, but non that matches my seclude..

You can drive and practise in any car you have on any track you bought, but have to take higher licenses to be able to race against others in faster cars.
    This isn't that hard though if you are a safe and consistent driver, think I had my B license within a week.
    What buged me the most beside the subscription was the lack of participants, really hard to find official races unless you didn't want to race Ovals or the free tracks / cars in Rookie class.. .

• Like Like x 1
  5. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    It's most likely nothing some left hand browsing won't fix :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I have never played iRacing and never will because of the sales model. Paying high prices for content *plus* a monthly subscription doesn't sit well with me. I don't care how good the product may be; I'm not prepared to support such a sales model. Either ask me to pay a subscription that gives me access to content *or* let me buy and own content without a subscription. Not both.

Clearly I'm in a minority because iRacing is a very successful product, in a position of strength by virtue of being the only sim to offer organised, well-attended online racing on an almost on-demand basis. For the serious, online-focused sim racer, there is no alternative so the price is worth paying.

Thankfully the sim racing scene is in a good place and there are plenty of alternative titles to enjoy, and, being mainly an offline gamer, I don't feel I'm missing anything by steering clear of iRacing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I have played Iracing but did not renew my sub because if the sales model. I would rather spend $45 on rf2 or even $100 on R3E and get a lot of content. For me it boils down to the best bang for my buck

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I realize this is old, but.....
    What is wrong with Raceroom's business model? Why are there so many outspoken critics?
    I'm trying to understand...?? Specifically? Just the expense?

I remember Inside Sim Racing doing their review. Back then, they said it would cost over $100.00 to buy ALL CONTENT in Raceroom. Their tone of voice sounded as if it wasn't a good value. I don't have all the content and I haven't even driven all the car/track combos yet, after a year.

Let's see. I can buy a majority of the content in a content filled R3E for............
    ..........slightly more than what I paid for 1 car, 1 track, and a subscription? Most of their free content doesn't interest me (oval tracks/Nascar/miata), so that was a waste of money. I caved into the advertising "laser scanned tracks".
    Plus, have you seen these people RAGE ONLINE - and post the video on Youtube?!?! You would think they were progressing to drive real F1 cars.

"For the serious, online-focused sim racer, there is no alternative so the price is worth paying." Thanks @ James Cook well put. Now, I see why they rage.

I could buy a can of soup for the cost of the NSU pack. It is so cheap!
    Candy from a coin operated candy machine is more expensive than a single GT3 car livery. Which lasts longer? :p

Why are some people in an uproar about R3Es pricing model?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    That's the heart attack after you start reading.....:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    The pricing model sucks big hairy dogs balls imho :D I confess to being really annoyed that I have paid in Aussie dollars about $180 (still have some vRP left for couple more car packs & Nords) yet I am far from having all the content. Perhaps I do not need it all but for that kind of money I should have all content currently available without having to buy more packs. It is all about value for money and compared to my other sims it doesn't equal the value, even moreso considering many features are still missing and it is still in beta. Relatively you may find it good value but the reasons I have stated are not made up or simply emotional, they are economic and sadly the fact of how it is.

When I found out later that there have been sales such as the Black Friday one where the complete content / everything was available for US $49.95 or Aussie $65 I felt the sting even more. Bad luck for me of course, as I never saw those deals and I made the choice to jump in boots n' all without reading all the fine print such as the always Online DRM which has caused problems with my lousy internet connection, booting me out or preventing me playing on quite a few occassions. But really that Black Friday price should be the regular everyday price, not something special just for those who happened to notice it whenever that was or will be. And I still have paid more and do not have all that content, so yeah I am bit jealous and annoyed at that and sure the guys deserve payment but I cannot help but feel slightly ripped off when I look at what I paid to get more with other sims.

I do not mind at all paying for new tracks or car packs going forward but at this point I join the ranks of those who do not smile upon the RaceRoom publisher's current pricing model. I am perhaps in the minority and maybe my thoughts will change on this over time.:eek:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    And I am so sorry for all I offend now but IMHO
    Only reason anyone moan and complain about pricing for any game is mostly for that they want to try it, own it, use it, and can't afford it for if they could they wouldn't say anything about it just bought it played and hopefully enjoy it.
    Why do I say this...
    Well I look at it this way I have a hobby I am a sim racer I race online, offline and play other games too it cost money period!..
    I use to do real cars on track, of track and exhibitions for all the money of what all content in R3E cost I wouldn't even fill up one ful tank of gas in my old racer.
    And I emptied that tank well over a thousand times before I gave that hobby upp for that is too expensive with all the travel and without sponsors and I had some sponsors, but not even close to pursue this hobby/cariere.
    Since I always been a gamer freak I settle with the closest thing to real and ended up here with R3E finally and as I se it I save money every lap I do for every hour I race I save a complete setup of all content in R3E compared to what it use to cost.

In short we all have our hobbies they cost money that is life, no hobby is for free exept maby walknig/runing and traning natural naked with what the environment have to offer.

I know some have less money than others but it do not give the automatic right to complain about stuff that can't be afford, either you deal with it save up and play or you dont and let it be. Complaining about it wont help the situation or fill up the wallet magically with money and every one know this already.
    I am not filthy rich but when I know what I want then I save up to it, if I can't afford to buy it right away.
    How hard can it bee realy!?!
    I don't get it!

Race on!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    @Mich Angel ~ You haven't caused me any offence and if you are happy with the price you paid that is great. :) But what I stated relates to the comparative value between R3E & other race sims I own. They are all enjoyable for different reasons and of course there are more expensive hobbies than sim racing or gaming but that is not a valid reason to argue that nobody should complain or discuss the pricing.

Your belief that people "moan or complain" because they cannot afford it, otherwise they would not say anything, is illogical and without any basis in the context of what I previously said. By your logic nobody should comment on the relative value of anything they have already purchased so the economics of anything becomes a purely subjective analysis. Sorry but that is not how real world pricing of anything is arrived at. Also how much money I have in the bank does not impact at all on how I value things I buy or want - maybe if I was very rich I would not care - but actually very rich people do not become very rich with that philosophy.

I surely do not wish to argue as you are free to think & believe as you like, but some of the things you said made little sense and I felt needed a reply. Happy Racing & Enjoy :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    True, nowadays the vast majority of them get rich by their daddy dying.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Generally, the only thing that I don't understand and really don't like, are all the permanent "pretend" discounts everywhere in the store. It looks very unprofessional. Other than that, I simply buy only what I think is worth it.

See the image, it's ridiculous.

Edit: Oh, I would almost forget. Why I have to go to www.raceroomstore.com to buy vRP to have a better deal? Why can't this be all at one place in one store?

Attached Files:

• R3E.png
      R3E.png
      File size:
      922.7 KB
      Views:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Those are technically discounts for a bulk purchase but they give the impression these packs are on sale which is not the case. Pretend sales would be more apt but I completely agree with your point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    @SVG BIOSPORT ~ You are the Spam King of these Forums with the most Gibberish ! :D

Every single Jewellery store here in Australia have a "Sale" 24/7 all year round so you never actually know what is the fair or correct price because they are inflated then immediately discounted.:rolleyes:

The RaceRoom Store reminded me of this the first time I had started looking there and worked out what the vRP cost was in real money o_O I always wonder about the intelligence of marketing people who use these sort of tactics, assuming the customer is stupid :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Sector 3 studios should drop the "free to play" approach, this is misleading. This would be the case if there was a real way of earning vRPs with driving, even if this would happen very slowly. You can earn some in competitions though.

I have not a problems with the business model though, it is not misleading like some other micro transaction based games. It's open and the communications about it is honest and straight forward. You can buy one car and several tracks and can have fun for a long time (like a GT3 car), or you buy the packs available.

Sector-3 Studios needs to make a profit to support us drivers over a long time, so there is a symbiosis here between the customer and the business owner. And as far i'm aware most here applaud Sector-3 for their effort to make raceroom a top notch candidate between all sims, so the money spend by us is spend again by sector 3.

The worries i have though is about fragmentation of content between the RR players, this can hurt the game in MP more then anything else. And if RR wants to make a big step forward then they need a more robust MP witch leads to a greater adaptation of the potential market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I agree mostly with you however on the pricing I really believe if they offered all current content at a competitive price of around $50 U.S. Dollars they would gain much wider take up in the sim community which will grow the brand against competition like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars.

They can still offer DLC packs of new cars/tracks and make profit but get the R3E brand recognised and more widely used with a simple & fair offering which sim racers all appreciate ~ not this clunky & difficult to follow pricing structure which in the end costs far more than is the acceptable standard and is plain annoying. It can be done rather simply & quickly if the stubborn publisher would take an honest look at the current landscape.

The fact they have these random "Fire Sales" where they throw everything available out for $49.95 to quickly gather some buyers proves the point. It is a no-brainer imho :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if I would agree that that'd be a fair price tag. For that kinda money you can get Assetto Corsa, but that really doesn't compare in terms of amount of content.
    PCars does compare and including all DLCs that costs 99 €s atm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    @Blanes : I can understand you reasoning but it's up to the owners of RR to exploit their business as they visioned it. We the customers can reject or adopt that vision in the way we spend our money.

The current RR model gives also some "security" that the money spend will not be obsolete next year (as an example) because the current game is not subject to replacement with a version 2 or 3 (like FIFA soccer game € 60,00 each). Lot's of us already get new updates on old content without the cost to upgrade to a new version. Maybe to see the good between the perceived bad is also needed here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1