The Raceroom Business Model Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodger Davies, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Project Cars GOTY edition ~ US $39.99 ~ Release May 12 US, May 8 Europe.
    Game of the Year Edition adds an extra 50+ cars (125 total) 4 tracks (35 unique locations, 100+ layouts total)
    60+ community-created liveries plus 500+ features and improvements that have been added since launch.

Also features two distinctive and exclusive items, Nurburgring Combined Nordschieife + GP circuit and 2 exclusive vehicles from Pagani ; the Zonda Revolucion and Huayra BC - both unveiled at this year’s Geneva Motor Show.

Assetto Corsa also has other features which arguable push it above R3E in the sim racer's eyes. But my point is most of us have all of these in our collection or wish to. What I know holds some people back is this RaceRoom pricing and that is why I am putting forward this argument in the hope those that make decisions relevant can see this from another perspective.

I was onboard with pCars since the very beginning so it is natural I see these comparisons so distinctively.

@Rik ~ I totally get where you are coming from but actually I really like R3E so much now that I just think it is a shame it has restricted its audience and appeal due to some arguably poor decisions on how to structure pricing. Of course they are free to do as they like, they own the ip, but I fear they either sink or swim based on results of those decisions - long term.

Anyway I respect you guys have different opinions and I only came onboard with R3E very recently - I do think it is healthy and relevant to talk about this because anyone that loves this sim racer, like I now do, wants it to succeed and stay the course for a long time.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, that's comparing apples and oranges really. That's a special offer, just like the black friday deal was for RR.
    I'm comparing to the regular price I see in steam atm.

And such an offer isn't even that great, at least for people who already own all or part of PCars content (just the same as with the bf deal in RR). They supposed to spend another 40 bucks just to get that additional content? For a product that's not going to be supported henceforth. And then spend another 50-60 bucks on PCars 2 where they might fix PCars 1?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    and not to forget the DLC that will follow after the release of pcars2...

Well, I hope that I'm right but IMO we should understand R3E more as a Race-Sim-Plattform in which you can add Content that must be purchased. Sooner or later the Plattform could change to a new one but the Content you've purchased will still be yours and available in the new Plattform.

Something similar happens at the moment with the flightsim "Digital Combat Simulartor". The Basic-Plattform is free and modules can be purchased. That plattform is now switching to a new Version and the Modules you've purchased so far can be loaded in that new Version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    No worries Christian, :rolleyes: I think you get my point but I am not going to bicker about this... you are involved closely with the production of this game on some level so your outlook is different to mine but I believe the points I have made are valid, if you don't agree that is ok too. I would not try to change your mind on that but would only say the pCars deal is comparable for anyone at the point where they have neither race title and are making a choice. Anyone else will buy the content separately if they wish. :)

Regarding DLC, there is not too much difference in that both offer new cars/track and charge a price and any and all sims are superseded by something new at some point in time.

5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The modular sales model of R3E is something I've really grown to like and to me it's preferable to the more mainstream 'core package + multiple DLC' model that is used by pCARs and Assetto Corsa. I like the flexibility of the modular model - buy what you like, leave what you don't.

One problem is cost - I think all content in R3E is priced a little too high. Fine for the person who buys one car, a few tracks and is happy with that. Not so good for the enthusiast and/or completionist who buys the majority of what this game has to offer.

I'm not going to drone on about loyalty discounts again but you can see where I'm going. Take something like the recently released NSU Prinz...the guy who owns no R3E content pays the same price as the guy who owns everything in the store.

I don't think that's fair.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sure, I get that, but I hope you get my point as well, being that at this moment PCars isn't that much cheaper compared to RR.
    If they sell a complete package ata low price starting in May that's good for all the people who want to buy a "finished" game. But the fact that a successor is already announced and no further improvements will be made on PCars 1 makes that an unjust comparison from my pov as a user, not a tester.
    People who bought PCars will spend another ~50 bucks on PCars 2 to get all those improvements and features they requested and SMS didn't manage, or bother to get into PCars.

That's what has to be taken into consideration I think. Buy a "finished" game for 50 notes each year several times to get the latest improvements, or spend a little more on a developing platform like RR.
    In the end I'd say you won't save much money with either choice, but I don't agree when people say PCars is that much cheaper than RR, cause as we can see now, in the long run it really isn't.

EDIT: And that's always the early adopters pov really. The people who thought "99 €s for PCars is too much" they will be well off with the GOTY offer. But then again that applies to RR as well, those who are/have to be patient will eventually be able to benefit from special offers like the Black Friday deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It costs about the same as a glass of good beer. And you still complain?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    We can talk about costs compared to other games or go down the 'a beer costs x amount' route.

Nevermind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    You guys make some great points.

I thought about what is important to me.
    Not in any particular order:

1) Decent Force Feedback
    2) Buy only what you want.
    3) Not having to buy an updated version of a game every year and having access to only 1 version at a time.
    Access every year/era cars in inventory in the same environment without having to change disks or games.
    4) Online and Offline play
    5) Replicas of real race cars
    6) Multitudes of tracks that "I" want to drive on.
    7) A hardcopy installation disk
    8) A selection of cars I'm interested in
    9) Reasonably priced
    10) Up to date graphics/and graphics support for various platforms (single, triple, VR....)
    11) Good Audio

I think R3E fits most of these items. So I will pay to keep everything in one game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    one thing that was brought up in the live stream just after 28:00 was custom skins. JF said that it is the sales model that causes problems for implementing this. i see the point. they make money off individual skins. and if custom skins were available, then why would ppl buy other skins? it seems like they would lose money that way, but i think they would actually make more money. there is a huge community of artists that are not buying any R3E content just because there are no custom skins. it really is a feature that draws a lot of players.

JF did mention maybe making a slot for a custom livery, along with the other liveries. that would be nice. but would that custom livery slot be good for only one design? or would you have to buy another custom livery to make another design?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, if you could just change the custom livery used in that slot that would basically mean unlimited liveries for everybody.

12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    A used slot would be closed. If you would like yet another livery, buy another slot. Or?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    yes, i agree. so do you think that would be wrong? or do you think we should have to pay 49vrp for every custom livery? i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but what if we wanted to change a minor detail(car number for example)?

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not sure. I would assume one additional slot per car. If that's used it's closed. Finished. So chose that livery wisely. :D
    But I don't know, your idea of buying multiple free slots might also be what is discussed, I guess those are the kinds of things they have to consider.
    As above, those are the issues that come up when you want to introduce costum skins in a pay per skin model. That's why it's a difficult task.

15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I may have miss understood but during the ITW, J-F (or Darin) said that the "custom slot livery" was some idea found from the community (forum, FB, etc, I don't know), not something they might brought up in response of the custom livery demand. So definitely not something you should except to see implemented like this while it was just a "wild idea" in the discussion.

16. Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    but wild ideas are how some things get sorted :p

i guess as long as i could edit it, i would pay substantially more for a custom skin slot, then a regular skin. probably as much as all other skins combined(for one car).

how's that for wild? :eek:

17. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    We could have both. Singel use slot 49vrp or open slot 249vrp

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    1. Scrap paying for liveries altogether.
    2. Bundle them all in with the purchase of a car.
    3. Slightly raise the price of said car to compensate.
    4. Allow free customisation of liveries as per other games.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. There needs to be a little more 'give' in this business model.

As @Tim Cannon said, I firmly believe more people will be attracted to R3E by taking these steps. Plenty of leagues and clubs have given R3E the swerve because there is no freedom to customise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But wouldn't that basically mean they would have to lift the file encryption?

20. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, there must be a way around this. If they make templates available to painters there must be a way of uploading them back into the game in a controlled way? How does iRacing do this?