VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
  2. Andy0340

Andy0340 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't play in vr but will post this as hopefully it will help someone as it's made a huge difference to me .
    Since the December update I've been struggling with inconsistent frame rates and frame timing regardless off graphics settings or resolution , I know this because 1 it's been bad enough to see and feel with the naked eye , 2 I always use MSI afterburner / rivatuner . Pre update I was getting a rock solid 60fps with vsync on , since update I've been seeing drops as low as 40fps . Have tried every suggestion going with no success until this morning , two things I did differently was to turn CPU min usage in win10 power settings too 8 percent from 0 and run the game without MSI afterburner / rivatuner . Bingo !! Silky smooth 60fps again ( monitored with steam FPS overlay ) couldn't believe it ! Had just about given up , not sure if it's relevant to you vr users but hopefully will be useful to someone .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hi Andy, thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kevink63

kevink63 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes I think Thomas is correct. Found out info on Assetto Corsa forum in ACC section. Other games were affected for me, like RF2. Posted is a work around to revert to v 1.43 and kill updates. Also Oculus has released new beta to address issue as I noted in Community Support forum, "massive frame drops" thread.

5. ARCADIOS

ARCADIOS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi team and merry christmas. i was away from raceroom about a month. i had a cv1 and now a oculus s. i try today to play as i allways play (without steam vr thanks to openvr), but tha steam vr starts with the game. i copy again the openvr files cause i didnt knew if the latest update delete it, but nothing. i dont know anything about steam vr. if i have to stay with it what settings at SS do i have to use? i use to play with OTT at 1.5. now i have to delete OTT? help me plz. Sorry for my bad English

6. kevink63

kevink63 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, things are strange. I had it working pretty well with the Oculus beta driver, but today I got greedy and tried to downgrade to v1.43, with no luck. I wasn't successful in stopping Oculus from breaking through my firewall, so it kept trying to update to the latest version. So I went back to beta driver. In retesting, RF2 was looking good, like I had it the other day, but Raceroom frame rate took a drop again, back close to where I was at before. Bummed. This used to be one of the best looking sims in VR for me, but not right now. Confused and tired of tweaking, honestly. I can barely use any SS at all to keep it near 80 fps.

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Nothing changed in Raceroom or Oculus framerate.

Is it possible that you tried to play with time progression when it's slow on your system, and without when it's not slow?
    With time progression it looks much better then every Racing Sim in the VR world, but I have to switch off the shadows completely to have 80 FPS here. But this is normal and the lack of shadows doesn't bother me much in fact that time progression looks lovely.

8. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    @FormelLMS Same here for me.

I did noticed the beta shows the correct performance headroom again though. This was not the case with the latest version, so there is something fishy going on there.

Time progression is killing performance for me at Spa. If I do an offline race I turn time progression off, unfortunately you can't turn it of when you are joining a server that has it enabled.

9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So switch off the shadows as I do.
    In fact the shadows are not very pleasant in VR. Time progression is. So it's a good deal.

With time progression, Raceroom looks even better than ACC in VR.

10. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    shadows are off, but why does it look better with time progression on? if you set it to afternoon or sunset, the result will be the same only not progressing right?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I understand that there are some shaders enabled when doing so.
    If the progression is set to zero, these shaders are deactivated.
    If it is wrong, please someone correct me.

12. kevink63

kevink63 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've had progression set to zero. Never used shadows in VR except in AC. Raceroom is still totally playable, I just can't bump up the SS like I used to, so it's not quite as sharp and crisp.

Maarten is right, the headroom in my Oculus debug is working correctly again with the beta. RF2 had the same headroom problem for me, until I went to beta version. Subsequently I was able regain my previous SS settings with RF2.

I was contemplating trying to reinstall Oculus again, but don't have time in the next several days.

13. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Index user here - when i sit in the DTM car it looks a bit too big around me. The scaling doesn't seem quite right.
    In AC i have the opposite problem, the cars are all too small.
    why is it difficult to get the scaling 1:1 with reality?
    or does no one else feel this.
    even sitting in the 90's f1 car it all feels maybe a bit too big also

14. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Your binocular vision is different than mine.
    Fortunately raceroom made a option for world scale. You can map it as two buttons. Slide it down in your case. You should be able to get it remarkably close.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    thanks that totally worked.
    damn i wish AC had something similar.

16. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great VR visuals and performance (relative) but I can't make Nordschleife run at 90 fps, no matter what settings I use.
    Seems like this track in particular is a problem, it just hammers CPU for some reason.

17. Jason Schofield

Jason Schofield New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a Rift S and this just happened to me the other day. I played Sunday and it was fine. Fired it up on Tuesday and it wouldn't load at all. Tried everything and then just deleted Opencomposite.. Now it runs with Steam VR. I'd like to get back to Opencomposite though.. Any luck?

18. Jason Schofield

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Opencomposite was working for me up until just 3 days ago. Then all of a sudden Raceroom wouldn't start. Tried everything and ended up deleting the Opencomposite files. Now it loads but with Steam VR. Any luck? So strange that it happened to you weeks ago.

19. Jason Schofield

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I don't know what happened but I went back and followed the instructions on page 1 to a T. I downloaded the adapted version of the Opencomposite files. I downloaded this version Latest 64-bit v1.0.0.0 and not the AVX2+PGO one. I copied the .INI file settings exactly and now it's working again.. Yeah!!!
    I also have the Opencomposite Runtime Switcher running as well.

20. Jason Schofield

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So after getting Opencomposite working again. I decided to do some FPS experiments with my Rift S. I set everything according to Thomas's guide. With a 16 car grid at Bilster Berg. ASW off getting 45-50fps. I turned all shadows off and it made almost no difference. I turned the time multiplier off and it made zero difference. Bumped up super sampling to 2.0 and it pushed my GPU to 75% and FPS dropped to about 40. My GPU is running at about 50% and my CPU is about 35%.

Ryzen 5 2600x GTX 1080 16GBDDR4 2400