Wish: training mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burillo, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    @Mr_Mints_Taboo it's also good etiquette to stay constructive if you see that people are trying to have an actual discussion. i'm pretty thick skinned myself (you'd be surprised), and there's time and place for humor and trolling. threads like this one isn't it, especially if your "trolling" revolves around age old "why are you spending so much time on forums" trope.

2. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    that's why i don't own any of the modern racing simulators, bar R3E, and don't plan to. truth be told, i like R3E much more than the older SimBin stuff, but there's way more content there, so i'm using that as an opportunity to cut my teeth, so to speak, and justify spending more on R3E content afterwards :)

3. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Burillo, a slight step sideways, but still relevant:

What type of pedals are you using? I recently (Thanks Santa!) got a set T3PA-PRO pedals with some kind of skateboard brush mod.. (Yeah, I am an expert on the subject)....The brake pedal barely moves - i'm talking 10%-20% of normal travel - but this allows muscle memory to work on pressure not position (scientifically better, apparently). I am now much more consistent with braking, to the point of being able to apply just 5% or so when trail braking, and unless I strain, a lock up is very unlikely.
    I would give up FFB before going back to 'normal' pedals.
    So if you are looking for more consistency in corners......

They are not cheap (I got mine 2nd hand, and already modded for £80.00. £60.00 if the wife asks.) but they do come with a spare pedal on the left in case the accelerator or brake breaks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    I am being constructive , your being overly verbose where your problem has nothing to benefit from the length of the discussion due to the fact that you shoot down every suggestion (nearly) that doesnt agree with your point of view...
    stop , go practice , sometimes intellectualising the issue only aids in creating a bigger issue
    I am very sarcastic and quiet dry generally
    But i have spent 90% of my adult life either repeating the same thing over and over until it works or teaching that thing and teaching people how to compartmentalise those aspects so they can advance in said field. In no way am i having a dig at you you just trying to pass on some thoughts.

my suggestion is to pick two cars in r3e and two tracks , fwd /rwd id suggest zandvoort and bathurst

and just repeat it a thousand times
    , use youtube to watch onboard videos either real life or ingame , use the leaderboards to see the various approaches of different drivers when attacking the circuit in the virtual world

but dont over think it , and just do it

Andi

5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
  6. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    i'm not the type of person who blames his poor performance on equipment. i'm using DFGT stock pedals, modded with bungee cords and a squash ball. it's not perfect, but it's passable. i'll get something like T3PA when the time comes (or straight up upgrade to something like T300RS), but for now i don't believe the issue is my equipment.

no, i'm not "shooting down" anything. i present my view, you present yours, i either agree with you, or provide a counter argument, i.e. explain why i don't think what you're saying is correct. it's called a discussion. the next step should be either you offering a counter-argument to me (i.e. pointing out why you think i am wrong), or agreeing with me. you know, like it happens in scientific circles.

the next step should not be you repeating the same thing you (and others) already said and which i already addressed - that just causes endless repeats and long-winded discussions you're seeing in this topic. you and your approach to discussion is the reason why it's gotten so verbose, because you refuse to take into account anything i say, and just keep repeating the same thing over and over again, in turn forcing me to address the same points over and over again, instead of advancing the discussion further.

if you approach a discussion like you do, it certainly does. if you abstract away from your ego and your opinions, and concentrate on the substance, it magically becomes issue-free.

and i already explained why i think it's not as efficient as it could be, and you've never offered anything to counter that. so i still stand by my words.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    walks away ... not because i dont have any arguements , but sometimes it is better to leave people in there own shit if they cant be bothered to reach out to the hands or hand that is trying to help them ,

good luck

Andi

8. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Why on Earth would you think i was asking for help? I thought i was discussing a feature i wish the game had?

9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    'Poor performance' ?
    I never said that.
    Plus, you must agree with my post about 'better pedals' as you have modified yours! I tried the squash ball, but not knowing what it was 'supposed' to feel like, I just assumed my mod was not working ("why do I have to press so hard?" D'oh!)
    Again it feels like you are arguing with someone who agrees with you!

Better equipment normally improves overall performance. All other things being equal.
    I have been playing racing games* since ......well, since they were basically space invaders without rockets....and I can tell you that brake pedal is the same level of upgrade as going from joystick to wheel. YMMV.

*badly.

10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    A feature that would HELP.

Anyway, thanks for all the constructive replies from Andi et al. I still believe the feature is a good idea, but concede there are other ways to feed the cat.

Pssst, Mart, psss pssss, whisper, psss
    WHAT? Why would you do that to a cat? There are some sickos around here!

11. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    i know. i did. to give you an idea, for the first few hours of me having downloaded R3E and fooling around in Stowe short circuit, i've registered something like 30km driven, but only five laps. that should tell you something (or rather hint at the number of times i ended up on the grass) :) i'm better now, but i still freely admit that i suck, and there's nothing wrong with that.

i'm not arguing with you, just explaining that i do not think that "bad pedals" are the reason for my bad racing, at least for now. you're right that, technically, i do "agree" that stock DFGT pedals in vanilla configuration suck (otherwise i wouldn't have modded them), but i like to think that i've modded them to a point where it's more about me than pedals.

unfortunately, that's not always the case, because your skills also need to advance to a point where it can make a difference. that's like saying "buying an expensive ass Gibson will make you a better guitar player" - yes, it'll sound better, and feel better, but if you suck - you'll still suck even if you have a Gibson.

well i would be surprised if Sector3 has introduced a feature that actively hurts people :) there's, however, a difference between "it would be helpful" and "i don't know what to do, help me!". these are different kinds of "help". mine is more of the former than the latter. if i needed immediate help, like, right now, i'd say so, there are plenty of threads about it already.

12. Turtle

Turtle New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting discussion.

Once i saw and article where a corer was split into 6 parts:
    Very informative. Please comment if you know this site. I t was very informative. Cant find it again. :)

Combining with other stuff I've read, this is how I remember.

Part 1: Braking
    Braking at threshold. Depending on downforce brake should be released gradually to maintain at threshold.

Part 2: Turning and braking
    Releasing braking as more steering (thereby centripetal acceleration) is applied.

Part 3: Transition from brake to throttle
    Should be as smooth as possible to keep the car balanced

Part 4: Maintaining speed by little throttle
    Steering is at max. Driving almost in a constant radius circle

Part 5. Increasing throttle
    Unwinding the steering as more throttle is applied.

Part 6: Full throttle

I would really much like the suggested feature to practice this so I dont have to wait a whole lap to learn (rewire my brain :) ) from the given feedback.

13. jbodin

jbodin Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Similarly, simulators themselves are very unrealistic compared to the real thing, yet F1 teams still utilize simulators with great success despite the fact that they're inherently unrealistic!

:D

14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Ha Ha Ha Ha that's where my lifelong nickname originated, Yeti, extended by Monty Python to Yeti GooseCreature (have dropped christian name in forums, maybe fear of bringing religion into it and getting banned! ;)).

Power to the people my friend, power to the people. oh and up the Tooting popular front!

15. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Apex Hunt should make a comeback.