App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Jim - the AMS stuff should be a bit more straightforward after tonight's release - the app will verify that the plugin is install and enabled, and offer to do this if it's not. So hopefully that'll sort it

• Like Like x 1
  2. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Dale - depends on what you mean by "commentating". The app could probably be extended to make the same calls that it does now, even in replay mode. But to do proper commentating would require all new events, rules and sounds

3. DaleJSmith

DaleJSmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I totally understand that a complete new set of the sounds would be needed. Also, the event that prompt the voice over would be new. Withing the spectator mode, the web control screen has "auto director" and "director suggestions". these are using some sort of events to change the center of interest and camera views. I was just wondering if that could be built upon?

4. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Tis a *big* pile of work Dale. To be honest, it sounds cool but there's still a long list of things to be done in 'regular' crew chief. Especially as S3 keep adding new and cool stuff to the shared memory

Crew Chief update's just been released, btw, with another massive pile of improvements. There will be another release next week to support the latest raceroom. I've pushed an R3E-beta *only* compatible release here:

*** r3e beta testers only ***
    http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChiefV4.6.4_r3e_beta.msi

regular R3E players should NOT download this because it *will not work* with the current Steam R3E version

• Like Like x 2
  5. DaleJSmith

DaleJSmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I do understand, thanks for considering it though. I just wanted to plant a seed in hope of something growing from it.

6. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Hi fellows racers,
    @mr_belowski, i have a wish....i still race in Race07 with all addons and it would be so cool if you could implement it in Crew Chief. Do you think it will be possible?
    Anyway i really enjoy your app since start and racing without is not a option ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  7. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    OK this is so funny to me. Did I really hear the crew chief say? "That's it the engines fucked. Well done"
    That is just what I'd say.
    And it wasn't even my fault! I love it.
    One of the best racing mods on the web, well done.
    EDIT: Must have been "we're done". But it might be fun if he was a bit patronizing:)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Indeed one of the best.

9. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Nope, it *is* "well done", the chief is a sarcastic condescending foul mouthed git. Glad you like it though, I've tried to capture some of my many personality flaws :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have tested the updated beta version for a couple of races, don't know how much you have had time to put in, but I only get notifications off green and yellow flags?
    Cutting track is already in, so black/white isn't needed. But I don't get blue, white or Chequered Flag notifications.
    It would also be good if it was possible to get notifications if it's no overtaking allowed when it's a yellow flag.
    And also if I need to give places back, if I have overtaken despite yellow flag with no overtaking, or after a blue flag warning.

Oh, and the spotter didn't work. Sorry for giving you more work on this awesome app.. . :oops::)

11. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    If the spotter isn't working its usually a sign that the shared memory data isn't being mapped correctly so there could be loads of features missing. I'll have a look today and put another beta build out if necessary.

The new features aren't yet supported but my goal today was to sort out blue flags, give-places-back and possibly penalties. Is the no over taking call needed?

12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Righty... the beta build linked above has been updated, so please re-download and re-test. Note that this will *not* work with the proper public Steam release or the WIP build. It will *only* work with the public-beta released to the beta testers this week.

I've updated the sound pack to include some new bits and bobs and this includes rudimentary support for the new yellow flag stuff. Some of the work is coded 'blind' because I'm finding it hard to actually get a penalty for passing under yellow

• Like Like x 1
  13. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    YES, in VR We only get a really small yellow / blue / white box etc., no text visible. And ultimately I do not want any hud messages visible When I race.:p:D

Just about to try this out.

Should I have several crew chiefs installed, one for beta, and one for the live build?
    Or do the changes done in live affect the beta version as well, when updated?

14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    If you're switching between the beta and release R3E build you'll have to have 2 cc installs. The beta compatible cc doesn't work with the retail build if R3E.

The allowed-to-pass thing is a challenge because it can change quickly - by the time the app has read the message it may be incorrect. An inaccurate 'ok to pass' or 'dont pass' call is potentially very damaging.

The app will tell you to give places back. I'll have a think about it but it might be later in the week. For the time being you'll have to judge it for yourself

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Okay thanks!
    Have done some testing, the spotter and blue flags now works, and I do get a "you need to give places back", if I overtake some yellow flags.
    I still don't get White, checkered or black flag notifications.

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I've just hacked in the implementation for the allowed-to-pass thing, fancy testing it?

The other flags aren't done - the app can call black flags and white flags but it doesn't have any context - it'll just say "black flag" when the game sends that data. Not sure how useful that'll be? The white flag might be too sensitive. I'll wire them up and update the app & soundpack if you're able to test

• Like Like x 1
  17. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Will give it a go.
    However, I just downloaded the original app to another drive, but it recognise that I already have crew chief and erased my beta version?

18. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    ah yeah... that'll be because MS InstallShield is, in technical terms. w@nk. There's not a lot I can do about it TBH - you'll have to reinstall the app each time you switch :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    OK Heppsan, the beta-only build has been updated with the new overtake / don't overtake messages, along with the (dumb) calls for white and black flag.

The latest soundpack now includes the can / can't overtake sounds.

I think it might be getting a little 'busy' around incidents, but it would help a lot if you could test. Removing features is easy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Reinstalled, and off to crash testing! :tonguewink::D