OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Pedro Henriques

Pedro Henriques New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    Is anyone having problems with the latest non-beta SteamVR? Its impossible now to use Raceroom, the render of the right eye is really weird, kind of fish-eye distorted. The menu´s are perfect, only when you go on track it gets crazy.
    Using latest drivers and rift CV1. All other games are ok,
    thanks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I am experiencing a similar problem. Its unplayable.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Discovered tonight what it was. In the Steam VR settings menu - developer - I'd changed the multisampling to 2.4. However, there's been a new update which allows the maximum to be 5.8 - which is what my settings have defaulted to. Scaled back to 2.4 and now it runs immaculately once again. Changed launch options to from -vr 2.4 to just -vr as well.

4. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem with my Rift CV1 since the last regular steam vr update (no beta). But with the option "advanced filtering" ("Erweiterten Supersampling-Filter aktivieren") enabled, everything is OK again.

5. Magus

Magus Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If you are a Rift user & suffer performance issues:

This is something that has come to my attention recently after a member over at the S397 forums was benchmarking rF2's VR options to see what details effect VR performance.

I am a OR-cv1 user and had a long time ago set the SteamVR.config file to have a Super-samplig of 1.3 for when playing iL-2: Battle of Sturmovich. I'd also edited the file to get rid of the blue chaperone which would show itself in the cockpit. Forward a few months, and SteamVR beta releases with the SS option, and because of my previous setting in the config file SteamVR defaulted at 2.0.

I have been using the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) to apply Pixel Density. These 2 working together cause a performance loss. I did some testing in rF2 yesterday and with OTT PD@1.6 & SteamVR SS@2.0 the game would not go above 45fps & would frequently drop below and be a stuttering mess when ASW was set to Auto. Bringing SteamVR SS down to 0.6 and unchecking the box 'Enable Advances Supersampling Effect', so just using the OTT PD option, allowed me to experience the game at 90fps with 45fps & ASW being used only when starting the race and being in the back of the grid.

There was no notable graphical clarity when using OTT & SteamVR SS options together.

Unfortunately, I found that in R3E you are unable to disable the checkbox, 'Enable Advances Supersampling Effect', as it leads to incorrect projection of the images in the eyes. So I did test it at 1.5PD on the OTT & 0.6 SS on SteamVR and the game was notably smoother at higher graphical settings than I have used in the past without ASW warping the image.

Unfortunately, I was unable to do much testing in R3E is every time I would come out the game and re-load, my Fanatec wheel would not be recognised and require me to either set it all up again or have to exit and delete my controllerset profile and start again. When you are testing lots of variables and need to exit/reload many times, it is not ideal to keep having to reset your controller.

Anyway, if you, like me, have not been convinced by the VR implementation in OpenVR API and have used a tool to set your Pixel Density, I would advise unchecking 'Enable Advances Supersampling Effect' option in SteamVR or as is the case for R3E, pull it all the way down to 0.6 and use either OTT or Debug Tool to set your PD.

EDIT: I'm really baffled here as last night I had such a good performance boost in R3E & rF2 but today for the life of me I am getting no where near the graphical crispness & fidelity in R3E. RF2 I still have the boost not here. I've rolled back SteamVR Beta to remove the recent update, I just can't pinpoint what it is that is making this game unplayable for me in VR. Everything is very jagged and struggles to run at 45fps yet alone 90. So weird that yesterday I experienced this to be completely different, I'm doubting my own sanity now :confused:

EDIT 2: I deleted and reinstalled R3E & my save folder, installed latest GPU drivers & we are back in business. Hitting 90fps 90% of the time on TT's and at 45fps w/ASW with AI.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Guys, there's a steam vr beta update specifically to address Raceroom issues, might be worth a try

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
  8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    It's now linear so you should keep it at 5.8 as that's the same as the previous 2.4 setting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Xorak

Xorak New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    the new steam vr beta seems 2 run fine, it fixed my issue, didnt checked MrTays solution. Thx for all the help :)

10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I tested latest beta today (honestly, even official release worked on my computer) and I can confirm the following:
    * SVR correctly converted SS multiplier from old scale to new scale 1.8->3.2 (old scale was not linear, new scale is).
    * I can see SS working. Setting it to 0.6 is visible (worse image quality). However, it is not as bad as 1.0 used to be, which is confusing :) I do not use Oculus PPD.
    * Have not noticed difference with "Enable Enhanced Filtering..." on or off. If anyone knows what that is for Oculus, chime in :)

Have anyone checked if Reprojection settings in SVR have any effect on Oculus? My observation - they're ignored, and Oculus' own ASW is used.

11. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been trying to get this game working with my new Oculus CV1 (everything else works great).

With this, as soon as I am in drivers seat, you get DOUBLE VISION effect, as if the two eyes are too far apart to merge.

If you close each eye and move your head you find the left eye looks perfect, but the right eye view is:
    • "fish-eye" distortion (wrong aspect - looks squeezed horizontally),
    • wrong position (too far right),
    • too close to wheel (further forward than left)
    HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT THIS PROBLEM??

ANY SOLUTION OR FIX??

Impossible to play it like this.

Using G25 wheel, and Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 1070, all VR related software is latest versions as I only got the Oculus two days ago

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have been dealing with this issue all weekend. When problem happened prevoiusly it was caused by a steam update. They rolled the update back which sovled the problem. Looks like we have to wait until someone takes responsibilty for screwing it up and fix it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  13. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So is this the best place to highlight this "right-eye oculus" bug or is there somewhere better that the devs will notice?

If you say this haas happened before, was it a code problem or some configuration issue where only some people have the problem. I would presume that if everyone using a VR headset gets the same unusable view, then there would be more complaints here about it.

p.s. in order to work around the problem yesterday and just see what it was like I actually drove around a few laps with my right eye closed - kind of defeats the purpose of stereo-vision 3d headset ;) :D

14. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also , I was trying to think how to describe what Raceroom now looks like on Oculus with this "right-eye" bug and then it hit me - when you close your left eye and move your head around, it looks exactly like how yer one high on drink/drugs saw things in the old Prodigy dance classic "Smack My Bitch Up" :eek:

15. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  16. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I just saw those posts today. Last night I just saw this thread was 25 pages long and couldn't tell what exact problems any post was talking about (hard to tell when people don't use the "quote" functionality of this forum system).

I will those solutions tonight. Thanks.

17. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I have tried both and neither worked for me. When this happened in March, SteamVR was rolled back to the previous version which fixed the problem
    Geogan, I agree that if this is affecting all Rifts, there should be more users posting or at least acknowledging the situation.

I even did a full re-install of the game with no luck.

18. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a pity. I just enabled the beta options on Steam VR there today and hoped that the latest version would fix it. Anyway I will check it out tonight. I agree it must not be happening to everyone, or else nobody else tried playing it recently which is unlikely, so could be some setting that we have that nobody else has set. How are you running the game? Did you add just the "-vr" to the command line option setting? Or did you add some extra oversampling or whatever it is with "-vr 2.4" Do we even need to add these to Raceroom startup command any more? I don't know.

19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    No, they will be ignored.
    You set the supersampling in the steam VR settings.
    Altough, I noticed that when I had those up to high in Steam VR I only got a black screen in my HMD.

20. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have -vr set in launch options and I kept the super sampling to 1 in the SteamVR settings. No luck. There must be something I am missing. Or this is the wrong thread.