OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    That's good to know.
    I never had issues with tracking in native Oculus SDK games, but with SteamVR they're present. One thing I found helpful is to move sensor higher. Previously, I had it 3ft/1m away in front, (can't imagine how SVR has problem with this). Now, I've placed it on a speaker on my desk, which is higher than before and around 6ft/2m away from the headset. That improved tracking. Less image jumping and fewer flashes.

I also wanted to experiment if second camera would help, and ordered one.

2. Optical

Optical New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, could anyone have a go at figuring my problem out?

I'm trying to get VR going in Raceroom. The game loads fine but when I go to race:
    1- My main monitor shows some portions of the left and right edges of the display, and all of the middle of the screen blacked out except the rear view mirror which appears normal.
    2- The Rift (DK2) shows a large white square in the middle and black everywhere else. Head tracking works as the white square moves around.

Gfx card is a Raedon rx470
    Has anyone had this issue before?

3. Svenduro

Svenduro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everybody,

I'm new here but got here because i've got a problem with my rift cv1.
    Maybe somebody now's and can help me.

Main specs,

i7 7700k on 4,8ghz
    16gb 3000mhz xmp
    m.2 ssd
    Gigabyte auros 1080ti 2050mhz

In single player modus i can run RR very smooth with max settings except shadowsplit and motionblur with -vr 3.0
    In multiplayer it runs smooth about an half our to 1 our and then gives me some kind of glitches or lag.
    I'm thinking the oculus playroom is showing up or it looses connection to rift sensor and i see the sensor reset screen poping up in a mili second under driving a race. Setting back -vr 2.0 didnt help so i dont think it is a gfx problem.
    When i reboot my system sometimes i can play again for a while without issue's but sometimes it goes on and on..

My racing mate got the same spec pc but dont got any of these problems..

Somebody got the same problem or an solution?

Cheers Sven

4. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Out of curiosity...what does "very smooth" mean to you? Does that mean 90 FPS all the time, even with a field of A.I.? Or does "very smooth" mean 45 FPS with ASW?

Because i have a 6700K@4,4GHz and a 1080@2088MHz and i can get not even close to max everything out when aiming for 90 FPS.

regards
    Quicksilver

5. Svenduro

Svenduro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it will be running with asw like assetto does but dont now how to check this in RR.
    I'm new to vr so maybe i'm setting up everything incorrect but got in single player with max cars no stuttering or lag at all

6. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For me it is quite visible because asw always produces small artifacts that i sadly can't ignore, especially visible on the led lights in the cockpit for example (when moving the head of course). To check ingame FPS you need the debug tool from oculus, if i am not mistaken.

Thanks for the insight anyway!

regards
    Quicksilver

7. Svenduro

Svenduro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know, but this arent small artifacts. i can live with them wen everything els runs smooth. it's realy a los contact to the rift sensor or something.. i've done manny things like video settings to low and -vr 1.0 and exept it looks shit my problem stays. cant explain realy good. its a sort off grey screen poping up for mili seconds during gameplay on multiplayer lobby when somebody else gets near me or i look around. maybe the Rift is getting to hot or some problem with the sensor. my lan connection gives stable 150mb/s so dont think its a problem. just ordert touch for the extra sensor and can pick it up this afternoon.. hoping it helps to get a second sensor.

8. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    One of the guys on the pcars forum was having the same issue it sounds like with basically the same high end hardware. He thought the same thing that heat was causing it because it would work for about half an hour or so. Turned out there was a bunch of stuff that needed updates. Check windows,nvidia drivers and all the other drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Have a look here, it helped me fix a similar issue. I think it's a problem with SteamVR and the CV1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Svenduro

Svenduro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tnx all for the reply's.. Got me a touch set today with an extra sensor and after testing a couple of ours i didnt notice the grey screens anymore. Yes realy think it has to do with steamvr and sensor tracking. no good signal or something like that but now it is much better and it seems like it looks also sharper in game. Can read tekst better like the position bar etc.

11. Optical

Optical New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just tried warhammer and the oculus is working nicely. Must be a raceroom related issue.. Anyone?

12. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I have a GTX 1080 with a six core 3930k i7 running at 4,4Ghz

Assetto runs super smooth at 90fps so no ASW kicking in. (very high quality, 4xAA and 1,5 ss) It looks sharper then Raceroom.

So strange you have a higher spec system and Assetto runs at 45fps ???

You can test the FPS with MSI afterburner and select refresh rate or FPS so you can monitor your FPS during gameplay (you have to put Raceroom in window mode at a lower resolution so you can see the FPS monitor on your desktop) You have to put your headset off to see the desktop off course. I check it from time to time.

The sound of raceroom and the handling of the cars makes me want to come back to it, but the poor VR performance with my high-end system frustrates me.. (I run raceroom at -VR 1,6 and AA at 4x, that gives the sharpest image, even lower SS is possible, but AA is so needed, even with higher SS at 2 or higher it still needs AA.)
    In game graphics settings are mostly medium settings except for the car and texture quality at high.

Some tracks are ok, when passing the paddock ASW kicks in,
    Zolder is mostly 90fps
    Spa has a lot if ASW at 45fps
    Bathurst mostly 90 only at paddock and on top of the hill 45fps

If it would run like Assetto then Raceroom would me my nr1. AI, sound and handling is so much better..

frustration :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. -= Rooooney =-

-= Rooooney =- New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was streaming the last week on R3E in VR on twitch. It is very intense and nice to have a VR Mode for Raceroom but I have some issues. I hope you can help me:

- When I play in VR, I can not start parallel the RaceRoom dedicated Server exe -> the exe is closing my game and when I start the dedicated server exe first, the game will close the server exe. In 2D I dont have this problem

- I can not see the driver names in game. Especially when streaming its sad not to see who is who. Do you have solutions for this problem?

- When I activate shadows, the track becomes very dark. Then there are spots on the track where it seams like the sun is shining and the track becomes bright (Nordschleife is a good example for it)

- the HUD color for the distance screen on the top is difficult to read. It would be good to have more contrast here.

- I have "lightnings" in the cockpit. A good example is the Ford GT on Nurburgring where it happens often. It variets from car to car.

I hope you can help me to fix some things here =) If you need clips to "show" what I mean, let me know. There are still some vids on Twitch to make clips. If you want to check by yourself -> https://www.twitch.tv/rooooney87/videos/all

14. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I see you have your settings pretty high when racing in VR. I watched your twitch. I think your settings are too high, You have an oculus rift like me. In steam vr you have to put asynchronous reprojection of and let ASW work.

I also have lightnings in the cockpit from time to time.

what are the specs of your PC?

15. -= Rooooney =-

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi demaarten,
    thanks for quick respond. My PC specs are also quiet high ^^ (GTX 1080 @2050 Mhz, Ryzen 1700 @ 4.0 Ghz and 32 GB RAM).
    My Graphics settings are high in kind of details, but I have shadows + reflections completely off and shaders to a minimum. The tip with ASW and SteamVR settings is good. I will have a try when I'm back at home.

Do you have an idea how I get the names activated over the cars?

16. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have around the same specs. Reflections and shadows at low. world detail is at medium.
    I am still finetuning VR driving and FFB, So I have not started racing online. So about the names. I have no clue.

Do you know your FPS for Raceroom with your settings? And Do you have hyperthreading disabled? I read it could improve performance. I still have to try that one tonight

17. -= Rooooney =-

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hyperthreading is enabled actually because of streaming (x264 encoding). But I use Windows 10 and there is an option to say which cores of the cpu a program is allowed to use. When I say R3E can use core 1,3,5,7 etc. it should be the same like disable HT via Bios isn't it? I will give it a try. you give me a lot of hope to improve my RaceRoom *experience* :)
    I will also measure my FPS with devtool or Nvidia Tool to have some numbers.

18. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is CPU limited due to its old DX9 engine. My GPU load is never over 70%.
    The important graphics settings for the CPU load are:
    "shadows" and "car reflection quality". And of course the "number of opponents".
    I play raceroom with 45 fps and ASW on. My steam startoption is "-vr 2.0" what is a Oculus Rift pixel density of about 1.6. (steam vr 0.8 * raceroom vr 2.0 = pixel density 1.6)

To get constant 90 fps with the Rift, I have to reduce the graphics quality and the number of the opponents too much and so I only play with constant 45 fps with ASW always on. That works very well for me.
    With my settings I can play with constant 45 fps with ASW on with grids up to 40 cars on all tracks except Nordschleife.
    To check your FPS ingame with the Rift, you should use the "OculusDebugTool" with the option "Visible HUD" set to "Performance". You can find the "OculusDebugTool" under "C:/programs/oculus/support/oculus-diagnostics/OculusDebugTool.exe"

The reason for the lightnings in the cockpit from time to time is the graphics option "Lightshafts". Just deactivate it, as the lightshafts don't work very well in VR.
    It's impossible to activate the driver names over the cars in VR.

My graphics settings are:

video1.jpg
    video2.jpg
    video3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  19. -= Rooooney =-

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey Frank and Demaarten,
    I could try a bit with your recommendations. In general your tips solve some problems, which is excellent!

• no difference when disabling HT, because R3E is just using 2-3 cores or so
    • disabling asynchron reproduction and the setting below makes a big difference -> much more smoother
    • because of ASW I just use the option CTRL + 4 (dont know what it is) but it gives me 45-90 FPS and a good experience. CTRL+1 was stuttering if i came below 80 FPS and CTRL+2 was allways 45FPS
    • @Frank I tried a your settings and made some small changes. The graphics looks better and the lightnings are less. Also my Shadow problem seams to be cleared, now the track looks realistic and not super shiny OR super dark
    • I played a bit with the "MSAA" option - took just "-vr" in the R3E settings without a number behind and set the MSAA Level to 2.2 via Steam VR -> Settings -> Developer Options can't say yet if it make a difference but it looks good
    • I was very suprised how much CPU the KI is taking. When i made a KI Race (17 Opponents) the FPS dropping allways to 45FPS when I was on a Online Server with 2 guys (highest number in the morning^^) I had constant 90 FPS. I have to check in the evening with more traffic
    So for now I stay with the "No Names" over the cars problem and the HUD which is not good to read. But still a good improvement. Thanks !

If someone finds a hidden option to activate the names, please let us know ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Frank. I will try your settings. I am getting used to the 45fps. So enjoying the racing more.

Do you let asw kick in or do you push asw at a constant 45fps?

Thx