OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I have had it two times now.
    While I had this problem I've tried out

Ctrl +Numpad 1
    Ctrl +Numpad 2
    Ctrl +Numpad 3
    Ctrl +Numpad 4

several times. And after one of this pressing a few times, it works again.

I can't tell which button it was.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, like a judder, i think. Quite mysterious, as it was happening, I kept peeping under the rift to check AB if dips were happening, but it showed a constant 90fps line. Just as I was about to purchase for the sale :)

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Purchase anyway ! While its cheap , the stutter doesn't happen much and is only a new thing so will get sorted im sure .

4. SilverK

SilverK New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had stutter happening randomly also while AB showed constant fps. What worked for me was closing AB and havent had that stutter again (yet, as i havent had much time to test it, but yesterday evening i was able to play 1.5h straight without stutter happening)

5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Will try that @SilverK, and maybe try OTT to view framerate while in-hud.

Should we leave SteamVR SS to 100% if we use launch options SS (I currently have -vr 2.2)? Also, is there a central thread for suggested graphic settings w/ VR? Can't seem to find one, though I think I found one for recommended FFB. Thanks.

6. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I just slid everything to max bar shadows (Medium) and things like Blur and Lense fare and put -vr 2.3 monitor then Ctrl + numpad 3 to lock it to 45 ! and Steam still at 100% .
    Looks really good !

• Like Like x 1
  7. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Oh, so no longer 90fps? Otherewise, what settings then for 90fps? Yesterday, when I posted about the 'stuttering' AB was showing straight 90fps (even if it stuttered later), but earlier today, AB was showing only around 60fps...hmm, might be some glitch with AB? What are you using to monitor the fps?

8. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    MSI AB also ?
    Its BS now , stuttering happening after only a couple of laps !!!!!!
    90 fps is a real compromise on visuals so i'm not chasing it for R3E as its smoother than all other sims at 45 with ASW .

This stutter is pissing me Off now !!!!!!! Im going without MSI AB for a test !

9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I just noticed this was happening even when no game was running !
    Like 78% GPU load and all that stuff using the GPU , this is agter i have closed R3E and its been a couple of minutes with temps and load high like the game is still running !!!!
    This is after i had that stuttering !

Attached Files:

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    -vr over 2 is very heavy on the machine. No wonders you guys have stutters.
    -vr default is 1.5 if you don't write a number. I use -vr 2.0 and that's maximum to get good performance on my machine. You should try something below 2 first. Maybe go for 1.7

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't stutter for laps on end sometimes like just now , i did 15 laps with 31 Ai with max settings , 2.3 SS , x8 AA , locked to 45 ASW !
    But just 20 minutes earlier , same car , track , settings and Ai and it stuttered after 1 lap !!!

My 1080Ti is sitting at 78% and 7700K is at between 20-40% load , during both smooth laps and stuttering laps but as noted in my previous post that even after the game was closed , full load was still being applied by Steam and Oculus when the PC should have been idling !

Your using -vr 2.0 with a 1080 , so doing -vr 2.3 on a 1080Ti should be and is fine for 45 fps with ASW ;)
    why would a 1080Ti need lower SS than a 1080 ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  12. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Will try lowering some settings again tom. Weird though, and might be some glitch w/ MSI AB as it was showing straight 90fps the other day. Then today, it suddenly just showed 60fps (around 50-60% usage only for both G/CPU). So I'll have to try other methods to see framerate w/o MSI AB.

So @2ndLastJedi, you think 45fps ASW is sufficient, and now requires better hardware than this? Weren't you once able to get 90fps? If not, perhaps might be unoptimized at DX9? Anyhow, testing tom.

13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Most my previous R3E was pre Rift , running 4k with a 6600k and 1080Ti !
    I have only recently came back to R3E after upgrading to 7700k and a Rift .
    But i dont think I've ever really pushed for 90 in R3E, as when I did try I had to lower settings too low for my liking and anyway ASW seems to work really well here , where other Sims feel rough and the artifacts look more pronounced when stuck at 45 ASW .

I think the stutter is coming from Steam and or Oculus software , not R3E as noted in previous post .

And yes DX9 is not well optimised for VR but S3 have done an amazing job getting it to where it is now !

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    it just couldn't hurt to try lower SS settings I think. So that way you can tell if the high SS was at fault when it stuttered.

15. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Well when I started testing VR ,of course i did try lower SS ! Ive worked my way up to 2.3 !
    Thats not the point ! I can run up to 2.7 with only me on track but get dips below 45 on some parts, but that is a totally different stutter to the 5 fps stutter i'm getting now every so often . The stutter i get now that doesn't happen all the time , as i said i can do a 15 lap race with 31 cars and no stutter but finish that race and start the same race again and it will stutter after 1 lap !
    At 2.7 SS, the dips are no way like the stutter ! Dips into below ASW dont feel the same !

16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Were you also using MSI AB to see that '5fps' when it starts to slow down/stutter?

Also, when you click 'Play' for R3E, does SteamVR automatically open? I still have to manually open it after 'Play'.

I'll try testing later just with OTT.

17. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    No , MSI AB still said 45 ! But I can just tell its down in single digit fps unlike normal dips from settings being too high .
    Yes when I click play , Steam and Oculus start automatically . I had Oculus running as Admin to stop it starting but changed that last night to see if that was causing the stutter issue . Haven't had the stutter since !

18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I've heard that Afterburner and some other programs make problems with Rift. It can course stuttering. Overclocking only with Nvidia Inspector.
    Use the Oculus Tray Tool for real FPS and load in your Headset.

19. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, about to try R3 w/o MSI AB, though all other sims I've used work fine running 90fps w/ it.

What do you mean by 'OC'g with NVidia Inspector'?

20. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Its not MSI AB causing the stutter on my rig , its either or both Steam and or Oculus because they were causing full load on my system when nothing else was running even with MSI AB and HWInfo Off .
    I haven't had the stutter since getting rid of Admin for Oculus and my next test (if needed) will be opting out of Oculus Beta .

• Like Like x 1