OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    90% chance the advice being given is correct (menu is behind you or way below/above).

On a 1080ti you just need shadows low, low reflections, contact shadows off, LOD low, AAx4 and you should be able to run everything else on high. Use the tag “-vr 1.7 monitor”. The default is 2.0 which is simply too high for any machine. Then for the love of all that’s holy and good turn asw OFF not on, 45fps in a sim is terrible.

Best of luck - let us know if that doesn’t fix it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The world is too big. The wheel and cockpit feel almost 2 times too big.

Is the eye separation the only responsible setting to cause this?

Also, how to i lock camera to horizon?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    You can assign two buttons to reduce or add to world scale. The default is ridiculous as you’ve discovered. I think they describe it as the inerocular distance so I have mine set at ~59.

The lock to horizon thing can be fixed - but it’s insane it’s not a simple option. This link will get you going. You only have to deal with it once. Took me 10 minutes or less.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...movement-for-vr-users.7484/page-2#post-142759

I will say that raceroom once setup correctly is truly great in vr. Assetto Corsa has better performance, looks better and is far more crisp. IRacing is sharper and has working mirrors. PC2 is just silliness I won’t waste time discussing. But once you have world scale correct, and the horizon lock fixed it’s the only damn sim that I truly feel like I’m sitting in the car and the sense of speed is correct.

4. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    thanks man!

5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    totally agree that R3E seems to be the only sim with a convincing sense of speed in VR. Can't really understand why this is the case though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Afaik default supersampling for vr is 1.5. I use -vr 2.0 and only have a 1080 without ti. Everything max except shadows to low and split shadow off. ASW works for me very well in Raceroom. MSAA to x4 and fxaa on.

7. Born2BSlow

Born2BSlow New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I was in dark space, reset VR did the trick...nice! Need to play around with some settings now...

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Agree that this probably is the problem but its a issue only in R3E and yhetDevs should have a automatic centre happen apon game boot !
    This should be fixed by now !

9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    LTH is a whole other story that S3 don't seem to want to read !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    ...or you could just press the VR center button.

It would only make sense what you demand if you always have your HMD in the correct position that you drive in while the game is loading... I always have it on my lap when game starts... auto-center would be absolutely useless for me. Most of the time it's already in the correct position since it saves the last position I think. I only had this "menu is on my back" issue in the beginning when I first booted in VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure they read it. But they also got their priorities, and they probably don't share your priority list. No reason to act rude.

12. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    But if i change my rim before starting the game i need to find the screen to change the control input before I can even Press recentrer VR !
    And from my seated position in my rig its dam near impossible to find unless I stand upside down with my head under my lounge next to m rig !
    I fully understand how important the recentrerVR button is in game but the first Press upon game boot is my issue !

13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    How is it not a priority ? They changed the HUD and other things for VR users so clearly VR is up there in priority !

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I don't really understand what's your issue here. You assign the VR center button one time and that's it. It's always the same button the next startups. So what's the problem here?. Use "-vr monitor" as startup argument and you have the game mirrored on the normal screen when it starts. Then you can go to your control input settings etc without the HMD on your head. easy as that.

:rolleyes:
    yes, but maybe the LTH stuff is not a high priority. They still (most likely) have a schedule and work on content and features has to be done thats demanded by Raceroom AG first, you should not forget this! What Raceroom AG demands has priority.
    And tbh.. LTH is not the saviour... I personally am not a big fan of it :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    But when i change from GT rim to Formula rim R3E doesnt recognise controller till I select F1 rim in controller profile , i have a profile for each rim and I cant just hot swap them in R3E like i
    can in other Sims !
    And if I finish playing R3E with the F1 rim then play rF2 with the GT rim ,if i start R3E again with the rim i didnt have when last played I need to hunt to find the screen to relocate the GT profile ! All very messy but maybe i will use the VR mirror option instead of the button but that uses precious performance !

Well if getting VR to work well for all isn't a priority why have it at all ? Sure you might not like it but others do !

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    4C1041B1-5CF8-49E8-8D37-AE5ADEC3D79B.jpeg

I completely understand. I use 2 button boxes and have the button mapped on one of them so it never changes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I dont have a button box , only keyboard and don't like mapping to that for recenter because its just out of reach and requires a lean and a lean isnt any good for recenter .

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Ever thought of an additional wireless keyboard?

You can use -vr mirror and after you changed your controller settings and have your VR center button back you can also assign a button or key to turn off the monitor function. Then it doesn't use previous performance. But tbh, I don't recognize any difference if I drive with monitor mirror on ou off.

But centering vr at startup won't solve your problems, and more likely will make problems for many others. Instead it could be a startup argument to toggle it.

19. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    the default is about near 1.0 Do you mean 0.59? (the first numbers that appears when pressing the world separation buttons). If so, 0.59 makes me feel like i'm 3 years old again! lol

20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I only had to adjust eye distance in the Rift and then I only have to use 1.0 in R3E and that translates open VR to 0.66.. and 66mm is the distance between my eyes according to the info card I got from my optician. And it looks perfect to me. Gloves, Wheel, Button and knob sizes all fit.