OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I'm not on Oculus Beta. Will try again, though I might not be able to disable Admin for Oculus for OTT.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Why dont you just use the debug tool instead of OTT ?

3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Not much really, though it has some more options (ie. allows per app settings, hud, power mgmt settings, startup options, etc). Been using It for some time.

4. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    130 laps tonight in 3 different cars on 3 different tracks an no stutter !
    I Alt Tabbed out of game to check some settings , i watched a YT vid while the game was paused in the middle of a race , i even left Chrome open !
    The only change from the other night is that i took Oculus from having Admin privileges and capped fps in Rivatuner to 45 !
    Graphical setting are unchanged , SS still at 2.3 , Ai still at 31 , still using Ctrl + 3, only no more Admin and capped to 45 now as well as Ctrl + 3.
    Fingers crossed i found my issue !

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Wow, really mysterious..... but good news it's running fine since then :)

Gotta try it again tom. Problem is my wireless keyboard has no keypad, and Ctrl-3 doesn't seem to work with my separate keypad (ie. ctrl in keyboard, 3 in keypad). Glad w/ OTT, ASW ON can be set automatically for the game profile. Wish we can still try to find the optimal to run 90.... as I tried to run briefly earlier with -vr 1.7 and it looked fine, but my test got interrupted. But nonetheless, this sounds much better than 'judder' :)

BTW, what other graphic settings do you have (will check your previous posts).

6. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I have all settings maxed except blur an light shafts and obviously bloom all off .
    I also have High quality textures set in NVCP .

7. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    This guys just been doing settings for all Sims for the Samsung HMD , here is his video for R3E if you want to test . He says it gets him 90 pretty consistently with a 1080ti and older i7 ,

I haven't tried them yet though .

8. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Will put it to the test. Hopefully today..

Edit: sorry I now see it is for the Samsung.. :oops:

9. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, will check it out. Still tinkering with stuff that may be causing the '5fps slow down' (ie. might be MSI Gaming App, instead of AB).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this, good so far as a baseline....currently on Medium for most. Can't seem to see any advantage for SS going up to 2.3, currently at 1.8, and w/ these 95% at 90fps. It's really the jaggies that's bothersome, maybe the shadows too, and I can't seem to have MSAA x8 work good (4x is better). Can you share through PM your Nvidia Inspector settings, pls? :)

11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Have a look here
    Pretty sure this guy works on R3E and shows his settings for VR at the start !
    Lots of Low and no shadows :( but some of you may use these :)

12. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I think it's just beta tester @Thomas Jansen :-D

13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Oh ! I did say "works on R3E " not for R3E , :p
    And i have now watched a few more of his videos and do believe your right ;)

14. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I'm just a beta tester yes :D I think the main point of VR settings in R3E is to turn the shadows off. That was pretty much the breakthrough for me when I was trying to make it run better a while ago.

edit: I also run 2.0 SS in the steam launch command and 2x MSAA. My 1080ti could do much higher, but it is unfortunately held back by the cpu too much.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Your more than "just" a beta tester to me , your now a TomTom also to me :)

That really suck about Shadows ! I love the shadows in all Sims ! It's one of the big things i didnt like about AMS , not having the shadows roll across the dash while turning corners makes it fell more gamey !
    I hope this is an area that more optimization can come !

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Seen as though many people are struggling with this game in VR I will share my settings here too.

I attached my graphics settings file, if you put that in your documents>my games>SimBin>RaceRoom Racing Experience>UserData folder and rename your own graphics_options.xml it will work (you can switch back by renaming mine to something else and naming your own file back to the original)

I did a lot of testing with frame timings and every setting in the game. The bottom line is that almost all the settings make very little difference, as most of them are gpu bound and you are almost always cpu bottlenecked in VR in R3E. The only settings that make a BIG difference are the shadows and car shadows, that is why I turn those off. Don't worry though, you can still have the contact shadows on, so cars will not be floating.

Unfortunately this does not mean you can simply turn up all the other settings and still get a stable 90 fps. The way you have to see it is like this: to achieve 90fps, your pc has 11ms to render every frame. If the cpu takes up, let's say 8ms of this already, then your gpu has to do its job extremely quickly, and even though some settings may only cost a tiny bit of time, you are already so close to the limit of 11ms that it may not work. Ofcourse this is not exactly how it works, but the point is that you are already so close to the 11ms rendering time on all the lowest settings, that there is very little room to increase settings, even with a powerful gpu like my 1080ti.

This is why i prioritised the settings that make a big difference in visuals, such as textures, which i have on high, and also have a low impact on performance and track detail on medium, as low gets rid of a lot of the atmosphere of tracks (which is a large factor in immersion imo) The rest I keep on low, as I did not feel like I was gaining anything from higher settings. I'd rather spend this last bit of performance on the 2.0 SS and 2x MSAA I use to make the picture more crisp.

On my settings I have 90 fps in pretty much any scenario with my 4770k@4.3GHz and 1080ti, with a lesser gpu the same settings should work, but maybe with lower SS. You can try using my settings as a base and try turning up some settings you find important (I'm trying to get a VR preset for the graphics settings to be made for the game :D)

Hope it helps!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    No shadows is a no go for me. I always have some shadow, even if it set to low.

Edit: thanks for the info. Will put it to the test and report back. Thumbs up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for doing this ;)
    So if i just type "ORIGINAL" next to my "original" graphics file and place yours in , yours will take and the game will run with your settings ? then when i want to try my settings again i can just type "TEST" next to yours and remove "ORIGINAL" on mine and it will revert back to mine ? I wont need to remove either just to test , just add to their name ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    As there is still AO and contact shadows on cars, I don't find it to be very distracting to have shadows off. If you really pay attention to it, ofcourse you are going to notice, but just while playing I never had a moment where I missed shadows. It may take some getting used to though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    yes that should work, I have two files, one for 2D and one for VR, so I can watch replays etc. in 4k ultra without having to set the settings in the menu everytime :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1