The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about controller, for Logitech wheel i use Logitech profiler. You can define wheel buttons like keyboard buttons (For ex. define "L2" button on the wheel = "L" button on the keyboard) and then set in AC L for Glance left
    You need to check on "Combined with keyboard" option in the Controls setup - Advanced in AC settings

P.S. try to use app "Helicorsa" if you can't look around with your controller. This app looks like radar and show the cars near you
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/

2. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I can do that for most of the controls on my XBox One controller, but it won't let me assign the glances to my right thumbstick for some reason, I can use the the D-Pad, but that's on the side I need to steer with and is a not an analog input.

That looks quite cool! Might give that a go, could help with awareness of other cars

3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    @digitizer - do you have any other recommended apps for AC? The default trackmap one seems a bit rubbish, as it's almost invisible most of the time...

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    A shifter is not necessary, but in certain cars in AC it is a lot of fun. Certain cars scream for using a shifter.

I have no fixed hardware setup, too, I use a G27. The pedals are always under the workdesk I use, they have very nice grip on carpet. Wheel gets moutned and unmounted as needed, it is fast and wehen not used just place don the ground beside the desk. The shifter is put aside if not used, right onto the PC tower standing on the floor. There are also combos that have shifter attached to the wheel base. Set up, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Un-Mounting time 20 seconds or less. I earlier years I used to have the ProThrottle unit by CH attached as well, the grip has many buttons that could help to blindly access programmed game functions, but I do not use that anymore.

Program "left and right looking" to two keys on the wheel/pad. In racing sims, I think head tarfckers do more harm than good. Their realm ist flight sims, and maybe FPS games/sims. Too often I mis-steered the car and ended up against a tree with a head tracker devicde. In flöight sims a must, in racing sims definetly not.

I think with TC left to "factory", it starts the session with "1", so maximum effect, no matter whether the car has 0-1 settings only, 0-1-2-3, or 0-1-2-...-12. I have two more buttons ont he wheel coded to ABS and TC, since in a new car one might want to exdperiment with it while driving. In real life, drivers often tune TC several times per lap, according to the next turns coming up, or tyre state.

If going for a hweel any time, make sure it not only has FFB, but also 900° rotation. I had a 270° wheel before, a good one - Thrustmaster Farrari 430 - whioch had some nice features, but the limited rotation really make a difference. If money is no problem, I would go one level higher than the Logitech G27 now - RS300 or RS500, something like that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I used it for some time, but then left it behind again, it is quite obstrusive, imo. Make sure yo7u have visible mirrors on screen, either the virtual ones, or the F11 one. There is a caller app for AC, but it stopped working for me, and it compares in no way to Crew Chief.

Almost no modding possible for Raceroom - but the little that is possible produces one of the absolute killer apps in the genre: Crew Chief. What an irony! :)

6. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing your setup, because of the design of my desk, however, it's not possible to clamp a wheel on - there's what's basically a plank underneath at right angles to the top, so there's only about 2cm of usable desk to clamp onto, hence why I'm considering a Wheel Stand Pro

Interesting, I can see how you could have a point. Would be useful in the Euro Truck Simulator 2, though! :p

The TX wheel package I'm thinking of getting is basically the same as the TS300 (but has XB1 compatibility rather than PS4), it supports 900 degrees of rotation. There doesn't seem to be a default profile in AC for the TX nor TS300, though - will that be an issue?

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, I use it there myself - and in OMSI as well. But both are no racing titles, the side views are needed at crossroads and traffic lights.

8. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I don't know app for alternative track map
    One useful app is StatsBar
    [​IMG]
    main window in the upper middle, other is for setup only. You can see a lot of info here about fuel, tyres (grip, pressure and temp), lap, position, delta e.t.c
    Latest version always here http://www.osrw.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12605
    Site is in russian, but right after name of app is 2 links - first Скачать (download) and second Посмотреть (view) with screenshot (same as i posted above)
    Or direct link http://uploadport.net/ac/apps/statsbar6/
    You need "StatsBar6_6040.zip" file - main program. Unzip it and put to the "\assettocorsa\apps\python"
    Don't forget to switch on it in the AC General setup menu
    You can also download "Compounds_StatsBar6 ... zip" file You need unzip it to the folder with StatsBar app "\StatsBar6\var"
    This files contain info about all type of tyres from latest AC 1.6 update. This is needed to StatsBar know about optimal temp and pressure for different types of tyres
    And from RD site you can download ACTI
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/acti-assetto-corsa-telemetry-interface.3948/
    this is program for record telemetry, then you can view telemetry in Motec i2Pro Its free
    http://www.motec.com/software/latestreleases/
    (first file in the Data Analysis section)

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Indeed! I'm tempted to hang-on for the wireless version of EDTracker Pro, though, as already have 2 wires coming from my headphones (one for the headphones, one for my ModMic) when I have the mic setup.

BTW without wanting to go too off-topic, quick question about OMSI 2 - I know it's no looker, but are the physics more realistic than ETS2? I really enjoy the latter, but the you can slam the brakes on full at 80km/h with no real problems, try doing that in a real truck! I could be interested in OMSI 2 if it has decent physics. City Car Driving also looks interesting for relaxing, though am waiting for that be released on Steam (it's been Greenlit)

10. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    City Car Driving site look so strange. US traffic rules and ... tons of russian cars include old Lada 2106, i think you can meet something like Bugatti Veyron more often then this in USA :D

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    OMSI and OMSI2 have better physics than ETS2, easily, in fact I consider them to be extremely good for busses of that size. On wet and snwoy surface, accelerating and braking can be tricky, at night and in a snow storm, there cna be plenty of atmosphere to be experienced. I have lived in Berlin West throughout the 80s, I know the bus lines depicted in both games, since i have travelled on them, and I know how the busses of that era - 80s - looked and sounded. In sounds, OMSI is amongst benchkmark class in the driving genre, transmission, braking, gas, gears, air condition, heating, wipers, blinkers - all and everything: when I use headphones and close my eyes I am unable to tell whether it is the real thing, or a sound can.

With OMSI, you need to know what you get, but if you are into bus driving, there is - by a far lead - no better title. Looks are a bit old fashioned, but I like them, too, and the package - originally coded by two school boys and friends in their early university years - is a bit rough around the edges (menues and such), but once you got though that, there is good fun to be had with it. The passengers walk like Frankensteins, but okay, you smile and drive on.

Again, know what you get with OMSI: a bus simulator with nothing more and nothing less than bus driving on original bus lines (the recognition factor is extremely high) and very nice bus cockpits as well. If you are after this - get OMSI, no other bus game.

If hardware allows, i strongly recommend the X10 Berlin addon, and second: the Hamburg addon. Both are by far the most superior bus lines with most detailed scenery aavialbe - as I said, regarding Berlin I know what I talk of, I have driven on many of these buslines, and I know most of the streets and blocks depicted in the game'S virtual Berlin.

12. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I have this game as a gift region locked to to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Republic of, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Russian Federation.
    If you know anyone in any of them regions that dosnt have and would like the game FOC let me know.
    I wont gift it to anyone outside of them regions!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Skybird - I may pick this up when it's next in a sale. Do you prefer the original OMSI (not on Steam) or OMSI 2? Pity there's not a London pack (though that would be a lot of work!), I'm from the UK, and would think I'd find it entertaining to drive both the original old double-decker Routemaster buses, as well as the retro-looking modern ones (which I think by far are the best looking modern buses anywhere), though the entry platforms at the back might be a little tricky to implement...

[​IMG]

On more on-topic matters, just realised that Silverstone is featured in Assetto Corsa - I'm going to have to give some GT3 cars a blast round that, after seeing the Blancpain GT Endurance race there the other week (and the race before that with 45 Lamborghini Huracan's was something to behold...)

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    OMSI 2 has the slightly more polished menu interface and allows for bigger maps that get loaded in tiles, not in one piece (complete map, like in OMSI). If your specs allow it (as good or better than mine below), go with OMSI 2, which has more Berlin default content as well, and some addons are not available for OMSI anyway, namely the X10 Berlin (biggest map and most detailed one available). Also, OMSI 2 added flexible busses. But it looks, plays and sounds the same like 1st part.

Before spending your money on more driving games, I would get the wheel question solved. ;)

Regarding AC, once you have checked defualt maps in depth, check for mod tracks, I can point you at some must-haves. There are far over 200 maps now, and some are bad, most are mediocre, only a few really are that good that I kept them for over a year now. If downloading just anything, you do not own the sim anymore, but the sim owns you. Best dwonload locaitons are either the track forum at Kunos boards, or RD AC track download section, since these two run very strict rules against stolen or otherwise unauthorized content. Same for cars - use Kunos or RD forums/download sections, there is a legion of stolen cars and illegal converts out there, and even many of th elegal ones are not of a qulaity that you really need to get them.

I wpould also r3ecommend to compare The Nürburgring GP (not the Nordschleife) and the Spa circuit inb oth games against each other, her eis where you can learn best how different Raceroom and Assetto can be in driving a track - or how close they cna be, although Racerooms tracks are not laserscanned. You can drive Spa in Assetto pretty much the same way like you drive it in assetto, and you will onyl see minor, very minor differences in the track surface (elevation of the infield, bumps), but turns and corners can be taken in the same fashion and with the same use of pedals, like in the other sim. However, at Nürburgring you should already see in the Mercedes arena how very different these two tracks are in both sim. If you try to get through that section in Assetto the way you do it in Raceroom, you will spin out, the Raceroom track looks better, but in physics is simplified. - Try same cars on all tracks.

^This illustrates my argument that laserscanning is nice to have and is a bonus, but if a "manual" track creator does his job well on the physics front, he can get very close to it - close enough that one must not make a religion of laserscanning. Spa is a good exmaple for how close you can get. Nürburgring shows how big the differences can be if things are not working that well.

Compare Zandvoort as well, it is the only track in Assetto that is hand-crafted, so here you have two non-lasered tracks to compare. Both drive nice, but different, bumps and elevation changes are quite different in some sections. I cannot tell which one I prefer. - Zandvoort in AC is in principle a modder's track, who did his job so well that they licensed his work and helped him to beef it up a bit further. They wanted to test the tolerance of their audience for non-laser tracks in AC, so it was kind of an experiment they run.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested to know Skybird. Which of the community tracks do you think are the best. I was surprised at how different Mount Panorama was for example. To me seemed a lot closer to the real thing.

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The Must-Haves:
    Donington, Grobnik, Lake Louise, Lucca Ring, Mandagout-Peyegrosse (SimTraxx).
    These are done very well visually and physically.

Good and solid:
    Barbagallo, Blackwood, Circuit de la Sarthe, Karelia Cross, Longford 67, Montreal (WIP, but already drivable and race-able and doing very good), Salzburg (a conversion of the original rF1 track by "our" racerooming Max Hummler ;) ), Spielberg, Tsukuba.

Lippo Circuit and Sentul Circuit were done by some guy from Malaysia or Indonesia, i think, they are solidly done, still lack the ultimate visual rafinesse, but - a big "but", imo - the track layouts are very good and with some car classes form formidable races. These tracks are almost always overlooked or underestimated, i think they do not deserve this. I always mistake the name of these two, one track is very good for formula cars, the other very good for street cars.

There are several versions of Brno, Road America, some look good but the aI doe snot good there, some have good AI, but look not as good. You have to try according to your taste.

Transfagarasan Pass: there is an older version with 2D trees, but it looks good enough and has a nice, life-like atmosphere, it drives very good. SimTraxx redo it currently, with superior 3D objects and trees, but currently the environment looks still lifeless and sterile, empty, its too early for a beta release. I recommend the first version, but be prepared to switch to the latter later this year, most likely.

There also is Magny-Court available, now with AI. The track surface is a bit too smooth, I think, but if you want that track for the name of it, it nevertheless is extremely good.

Personally I also like Pacepark, for the flow of it. Solid in looks, but not spectacular, but as I said: wonderful flow.

All these tracks are authorized conversions or original creations, so all legal.

I left out three or four some tracks where I think but am not totally sure that they base on legal fundaments.

Lucca Ring is still ongoing, but already fantastic. the guy seems to be determined to digitize his complete city. LOL Lake Louise also is ongoing project, a free base version is avialable, for the full pack with all - long - track variations you need to donate - but you are free to decide on how much. Fair and still generous, I say.

As always with such lists, I probably oversaw the one or the other track I want to include but just do not get to my mind right now.

Adelaide and Melbourne and Suzuka have several recreations as well, just saying since these are in high demand. Their quality varies.

Many AC fans celebrate Paul Ricard as being a high standard for mod tracks, I mention it hereby but left it out originally, I am biased against it, I hate this track. Not the mod, but the track, the track layout. I hate it in Raceroom as well. It just is not my thing. Not at all. :)

Algarve is okay, too, but almost always I prefer to go to Raceroom if it shares a track with the mod track pool of AC.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  18. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    One addition I'd suggest to must-haves:
    Bridgehampton race circuit

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^ Absolutely, I forgot that one. A very good track, visually and physically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0