Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoccoTTS, May 25, 2019.

1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Not in this case.
    Tried deleting the folder several times. Tried every combination of sliders I could think of.
    Even deleted AMS2 completely, rebooted, then re-installed.
    Zilch. Nada.
    Never got it to work with my T500.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully it can fixed in the future, i'm having a blast with AMS2 with my TX wheel.
    Next update there will be some improvements to the ffb, confirmed by Renato.

3. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    So, I gave AMS 2 another spin after not touching it for some time, and while I noticed brake wear related topics in the changelog, I didn't thought they will have any meaningfull effect, but boy, it looks I was wrong.

I was lapping in practice with one of the 80s formulas, when I noticed that "brake wear" info in my app was higher that I ever saw it in PCars2. So I tried to shred the brakes, 2nd gear, full throttle with brakes. The brake condition plummeted and within half a lap my front brakes were gone, and I was greeted with a nice metal-on-metal shriek. The car was basically uncontrollable at speeds.

I can really see brake wear to be something to watch in longer races, in older cars (in formula ultimate the brake wear wasn't nearly as drastic). :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Gamer without muscles answeres AMS2 questions..? :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Anyone stuck with this so far?

I took a break to let some updates build up and revisited recently. Reiza's rate of change is to be commended, and the FFB has certainly come on leaps and bounds, with further improvements to be had with some 'custom' settings floating around. The V8 Supers (one of the main draws for me) feel fantastic now. I can't wait for their version of Bathurst.

It's rapidly approaching v1.0 now, and my biggest issue at the moment is content. - I'm just not that keen on the car roster for a variety of reasons. Their roadmap is exciting though, with some real gems on there if they can pull it off. Overall I'm pleased I grabbed the EA, and have growing confidence this will turn into a great sim over time.

6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic job by Reiza!

7. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  8. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  9. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I enjoyed AMS2 in VR. It looks really good in VR with sharpening. The problem is to find a car that isnt garbage in VR with working dash and gear indicator. Mostly only formula cars are ok.
    The game is very unfinished for a PC2 add-on. There are many switches in menus that do nothing.
    So after crowdfunding and releasing this game as 1.0 while being realistically in alpha, they instantly start to publish DLCs with 9 Euro per track..
    After I critized it, whole thread on steam was deleted.
    I won't support Reiza anymore. Their business model and quality standards is not something I want to support.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Well I can't imagine why..

Just let it sit in your library for a bit while everything catches up.. I'm not gonna lie, the releasing of paid-for content while many issues with the base game remain is mildly annoying, but they've been nothing but open and honest about their plans over the last few months, particularly in how Covid has messed up many of their timescales. The people/teams responsible for new content probably have nothing to do with the folk working away on fixes/improvements to the core game.

They're not exactly forcing you to cough up more, and by way of acknowlegement of the above issues we all got the Hockenheim pack for free..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    9 Euro per collection of tracks, so Silverstone has a modern, 2001, 1991 and 1975 version each with period-specific layout and scenery. Hockenheim and Spa will be the same - as they have some of the best historic F1 content, I have no issues with this pricing (although wish they could find a way to license the PCARS2 Ferrari 512 and Porsche 917 models!).

---

That said, most of my frustrations with the game are directly from the PCARS2 platform so I fear they can't/won't be addressed. AI isn't sure how to cope with weather changes, AI is slowly improving but suffers a lot of the same 'ignoring the player' flaws as PCARS', the way the AI names and ratings change from race to race, all the bugs with the menus relating to PCARS settings or stuff that doesn't make sense, the lack of custom championships and (this one is small but really annoys me) the fact I have to use my steam username in game rather than an actual name.

Tradeoff for that is that it has the same 'pros' that PCARS does - good controller support, customisable weather options, VR and monitor support, very efficient graphics engine which looks good (although looks so cartoony next to ACC or AC w/ CSP) etc.

I have only bought the base game and none of the DLC, but if they expand their historic (<1980) content (one of the track packs planned is historic versions of base game tracks... yes please!) and keep improving the title, I'll happily revisit it, but it's not much good for other than the occasional race for me at the moment.

---

I liked PCARS2 on the whole, but a few stupid restrictions that stop me racing the way I want to offline (custom grids or championships) stopped me getting much use from it - Sector3 may have found it strange that people wanted things like an opponent selector, but when I enjoy all the driving models it's things like this which really set it apart to me personally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I find the same thing. It's a very slick engine, but there's an artificial look to it I'm just not that keen on. One of my biggest bugbears in VR is how dark the car interiors are, with the complete lack of ambient light illumintating footwells etc. RREs engine is undoubtedly long in the tooth by comparison, but I do find it's end result completely natural and convincing to the point where I never question it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  13. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Who decides which track is dlc? Hockenheim was basically done when they "released the game". They could have included it in the base game.
    You probably drive in non-VR with hud. I had to make a small list of cars I could use in VR. And while most cars onboard are broken, they are releasing new cars. Do not tell me the people are different for existing cars and new cars.

DLCs exist to support the developers while they are working on the game after it was released. Reiza released the game in alpha and while they will bring the game to true 1.0, we should pay them an additional 100 Euro. This is not right imo.

a little offtopic regarding covid excuses: F1.TV (official Formula 1 streaming service) said they were working on a new homepage. The streams are not working often because the back end cant handle it. They said we couldn't release the new homepage because of covid. The teams were already at the first race in Melbourne AND 5 months later there is still no new homepage. Everyone is using covid as an excuse. While some are true, most are not.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    You had the chance to get the Hockenheim DLC for free, if you bought AMS2 before July 27th. This was communicated by Reiza in time.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  15. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    They decide. Both that and the Silverstone pack were well communicated to be DLCs during the (discounted) EA phase.

Nope.

Those people might be different.

A car in any sim is hugely complicated thing combining the work from several disciplines. Reiza are commonly reported to be a fairly small group, which means they quite likely outsource assets to 3rd party(s). - Common practice for a developer of any size these days.

As above, they released with a well discounted price over an extended period to account for the delays and state of the game at the time, which you presumably took up.

No one has a gun to your head demanding more money. :)

This situation has affected everyone in some way. I can only imagine the amount of communication and red tape that any sim developer has to go through in dealing with the multitude of IP holders around the world. - Even under normal circumstances. They said this was exactly the issue with licensing on a whole bunch of cars that are behind schedule in either their May or June update.

16. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I bought AMS2 shortly after EA started. I was tempted to buy the 90 Euro dlc just to support sim racing developers. If AMS2 would be still in EA or Reiza would not sell dlcs, I would still support this game.
    What does this game offer? Multiplayer is basically not existent and buggy. Difference of AI's pace is from session to session up to 3 sec per lap different on the same settings. There is hot lapping left with not fitting driver models and dash boards that have no gear indicators with sequential cars.

They call it 1.0, charge AAA price for it and want the customers to buy dlcs. If you guys are okay with that, I am not.

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That's 100% bollocks right there. :rolleyes: MP works absolutely fine on dedicated servers that are set up properly.

As for everything else you said, name one sim that has been released in the last ten years that had no flaws or missing features on release, and did not need any further work or patches. Most current sims are STILL receiving important functionality patches after being on the market for a year or more! To expect a tiny dev like Reiza to somehow be different and release the perfect sim from day one is just idiotic.

18. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I tried twice. First time the game crashed between qualifying and race. Second time the race loaded and I was in spectator view. ;aybe I was unlucky but others have also the same problems.
    I take into account that Reiza didnt start from zero. They started with PC2. Everything is PC2 except tracks and cars. So core game is working from the start. Tracks and ffb are fine. Everything else they touched is either wip or not even started at release... Small studios from Brasil dont charge AAA prices and 90 Euro DLCs.

I didnt want to piss people off. It seems that most are fine how Reiza behaves. I am not. Let us move on.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    If you had access to the Reiza 51 Area you would know how much work they had to put into the engine to make it feel, sound ect like it does today. Thats not like just copypasta the content and magic and done... But they also share a lot infos since 2 years for everyone in the forum... And short reminder: Pcars2 Seta tire modell did not felt great in Pcars 2 but it has quite the features on which Reiza is still working to polish and kinda finish it i think. SMS did not had the time for that... Or a lot other things that were just "half done" or not great like the sound engine...

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/inside-project-cars-seta-tire-model/

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I had really high expectations for this title but it’s clear that some of the physics and ffb has carried over from pcars2 and to be honest the cars just don’t feel good. Lots of bumps and jolts but never connected to the car.

The steam charts don’t lie either. This title is bombing badly at the moment. Long ways to go but right now it isn’t good.

• Disagree Disagree x 1