OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I read a couple of times that disabling hyperthreading of the CPU can give me some extra FPS. Are there any disadvantages for R3E when disabled?... and where do I turn it off? In the bios settings?

2. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    You can disable hyperthreading in the Nvidia control panel under "threaded optimization". It didn't make a difference for me.

3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, not sure what effect the Setting in Nvidia Control-Panel has, but AFAIK you must deactivate Hyperthreading in the BIOS. Normally that setting should be somewhere in the CPU-Features or CPU Configuration-Section.

4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Is there a risk by doing this?

5. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No, you can easily reactivate HT, though i would not expect too much. The last time i saw a noteworthy difference in performance without HT was on Win7.

regards
    Quicksilver

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    It always depends on the problems you have. Generally you won't get a Performance-Boost overall without HT. A difference in deactivating HT will only be noteable when you notice stuttering caused by heavy CPU-Load. An indicator for such a problem would be a stable Framerate but sudden stuttering for a short period.

7. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I have opted out of the Steam VR Beta but
    No matter what i do i cant get Oculus Rift to work in VR with R3E... One Eye is always out of Sync...

Should i Delete the Game and Re Download it??? or is there a file i can delete then let R3E auto update to fix the problem???

8. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    A thing i've noticed about the framerate consistancy:

I always got the feeling there is some stutter in the game, even with fps above 45 fps (with Oculus Aynchronous Spacewarp), that i don't have in other games. And i think i've found out what happened: Sometimes ASW simply stops working in RaceRoom, don't know why.

What i've tried: I used the Oculus debug tool (you can download it with the Oculus sdk on the Oculus homepage) to force ASW on all the time and it fixed the problem. Then i went back to the original settings that should enable ASW only below 90 fps (which is unfortunately almost all the time the case my i5 + GTX 1070). The problem with the default settings is: ASW doesn't seem to work all the time. Sometimes the framerate rises from 45 to about 60 or 70, almost 90 and those are the moments, when the stuttering starts. Maybe an Oculus bug? Maybe an SteamVR/OpenVR bug? I don't know. And that doesn't happen with ASW forced on all the time, which feels a lot smoother. RaceRoom is currently the only game that does this.

So, if you have stutter in VR with the Rift (don't know if there's a similar option to force framerate smoothing for the Vive): Try using the Oculus Debug tool to enable the "Force 45fps, ASW enabled" option. It really helped me to get a way more consistant framerate and the ASW makes it feels very smooth. That's of course not as smooth as real 90 fps, but way better than switching between 45 fps and slightly higher fps, which feels like stutter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Inkabodpain.2old4forza

Inkabodpain.2old4forza New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    VR (Oculus Rift CV1) was working perfectly and as of this weekend the game looks like the first update when VR was first introduced . I can still get into the game . I can't select the options menu to get into my video settings and the game menu also looks stretched . I also have to float the mouse icon a few inches away from the actual tab for it to activate. For example when it gives you the option to click yes or no I have to float my mouse icon a few inches to the right for it to activate (yes). I do run my game thru Steam.

10. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/oculus-rift-support.85/page-13#post-111773

"Totally delete SteamVR Beta from your system via Steam. Do not simply just untick the Beta opt-in as hooks are possibly left behind. Then go into your steamapps folder and delete the steamvr folders. Reboot your PC. Then download SteamVR again - ensure beta is not checked. Make sure you have added the vr parameter correctly. Rift cv1 works using OpenVR via SteamVR."

From @Blanes

• Like Like x 1
  11. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Updated first post with some more info

• Like Like x 1
  12. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    There's a SteamVR update just pushed through, no change log that I can find just yet, hope it doesn't screw up RR.

13. Iggy_82

Iggy_82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    The SteamVR update messed it up for me, the lenses does not match up, everything is doubled. Oculus Rift CV1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Same here for Vive. The menus and overlays are fine but the world is wrong. It's the exact same problem we had with the steam beta :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gianni Nicosia

Gianni Nicosia Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    same problem

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    it was a Good few Days of VR:D
    But Now its Broken Again after today's update:mad:
    Edit: Note that i have tried uninstalling Steam VR-->Re start PC---> Re download steam VR---> Restart PC and its still Not working.<---this was the magic that fixed it the first time but this time its Not fixing it:(
    The eyes are out of sync:confused:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  17. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, just got home from work and tried it with CV1.....its buggered. Yuk

18. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Same here .

19. Inkabodpain.2old4forza

Inkabodpain.2old4forza New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Like wise ! POOP !

20. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yep mine is screwed too but did anyone notice the image is a lot clearer then ever before? Look at the dash even though its out of synch its really clear and easy to read. So I hope they don't fix that part.;)

• Like Like x 1