OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I cannot tell you how bored I am from only playing SPA MONZA MUGELLO and IMOLA on AC just because its the only proper game were VR works really well (aside from costly iracing and rfactor2 online desert). I really miss R3E tracks but I dont think I can go back to single screen racing...

I will try the mirrors tip, thanks.

2. Raysracing

Raysracing New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Congrats. I use rf2, iR, AC and now R3E in VR and best experience so far by far is R3E! Thanks for making t work so well.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    The mirrors in VR are really a frame killers on my system: mirrors enabled = 45 fps, disabled = 90 fps

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    :eek: that's really enormous... have you tried different quality-settings for the Mirrors?

5. OlivierMDVY

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Here is the test:
    Brands Hatch Indy

Mirrors enabled - High quality = 45 fps
    Mirrors enabled - Low quality = 45/90 fps (but most of the time 45 fps)
    Mirrors disabled = 90 fps

Mirrors consume too much CPU time.
    I know that my oced i7 860 * 3.8ghz is not the best CPU...

6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Even with an i5-4690K I can't run consistent 45FPS without AWS kicking in unless i drop visible cars down to around 7-8 and everything else on low. This is with mirrors at low.

Hopefully they can optimize this more. I won't play anymore until its fixed.

7. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Mirrors tend to hit FPS and why sims tend to have options for them wrt to quality (some).
    Nothing unusual.

Optimizations on the code side may be needed but there's something WE can do to.

In VR you won't need uber graphics and in VR one uses cockpit mode (hopefully...) so, what you need as higher quality is the track and car settings. A bit of AA (must have and medium) and SS (as much as possible).

Smoke options can be lowered as well.

Now, I like to keep it always on 90FPS. you can bump some if you don't mind 45FPS with VIVE's Reprojection or Rift's ASW.
    Granted, R3E is probably the least optimized sim I came across with for VR.

PS: I have no statistics but it seems tend to rely on asw/reprojection to crank the graphics up. In VR this is wrong. The quality is sub par when compared to a monitor/tv and there's still the movement to consider and if it judders it can make one nauseous really fast. So, I tend to suggest setup for 90 in the heaviest track with the amount of cars (AI/Human) you tend to run with and let asw do it's job ONLY IF needed.

8. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    just tried it again on a brand new computer and windows installation. With every setting on LOW, still utter shit, sorry guys.

at one point in the middle of the race, the game framerate locked bellow 30fps, just like that. Jumped into Assetto, 90fps locked.

Maybe on the next game engine. Not as is. Cya

9. OlivierMDVY

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Maybe these optimizations problems come from the use of DirectX 9?

10. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'd say that's partially an issue, but I've found that games which use the Oculus SDK directly like AC and iRacing work really well.
    rFactor 2 and Raceroom use openVR and the performance is much worse.
    Could it be as simple as that ?

11. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Mirrors, even set to low, are very heavy on performance for VR. I can't run mirrors on without dropping into ASW which is obviously undesirable. I therefore only run mirrors while in multiplayer, but the experience is much nicer with them off. If some dev attention here would be possible, I for one would very much appreciate it. Going back to normal tv/monitor racing isn't an option after you have spoilt us with VR :)

12. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    That's the problem of "updating" to VR instead of simply code for native VR support, I suppose. Can be wrong because VIVE does use Steam OpenVR :)

AC actually does one very annoying thing... To see the menus you have to take the HMD off your head. And no, buying a third party app is NOT a solution. I had troubles with that until the latest patch actually (micro stuttering). Was the only game doing that even sitting alone in the pits, just moving the head it was noticeable.

@spyshagg
    Just out of curiosity, define "brand new computer", what game you're talking about in what headset, please.

13. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    3rd party app? Just switch to Steam's VR's built in "desktop" mode to navigate the menus

14. Hipor

Hipor New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Belowski can you tell me how you enable Steam's VR's built in "desktop" mode thank you in advanced

15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    you don't need to do anything.

Start AC with your headset on and while it's loading press the menu button on the Vive controller to bring up the steam VR menu, then select the "desktop" button (one of the 4 round buttons under the main menu screen). Then you can navigate the AC menu screens as you need to. When you enter a race session you'll need to press the menu button again on the vive controller to return to VR. When you exit the race session press menu and you'll be returned to the desktop view again where you'll be able to use the menu

16. Hipor

Hipor New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great thanks for the fast reply it works well :)

17. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Need a way to adjust that. Unless it has changed everything was too small for me to read.
    Still, unnecessary and annoying (but bearable at least). Not that I play AC much these days though.

18. ShootEmUpShawty

ShootEmUpShawty New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    having an issue with my menus buttons not responding in VR, any thing I'm doing wrong in the setting?

19. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    just wanted to say i like the look and feel of this game in vr and as soon as the 90 degree limit on arm animation is updated i'll buy this game in full, the arm thing really bothers me in vr

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. -= Rooooney =-

-= Rooooney =- New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    I love the VR feeling in R3E. Just 3 things could be better.
    1. The Mirror POV is not that great. You can fix it a bit with the VR mirror in steam itself, but then the resolution is not to good, like you can see here: Also the Framerate is not so smooth like the integrated one in Raceroom. here is an example of the integrated one to compare:

2. The contrast of the HUD on top is worse. It is like white on lightgrey :-/

3. Driver names. Please insert it for VR Gaming as well. Especially in the VTM League where I am driving it would be an advantage to know who is who =)

regards
    Rooooney

PS: Do you have also a very laggy experience with you replays? (in 2D and VR). I dont know why it is looking so weird. The game is showing me in FRAPS 150 FPS but it laggs like 8-25 FPS (no joke) :-/ Would be awesome if someone have a tip for me how to fix it. I need the replay records for my youtube vids