Please remember your 'best' customers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by morsify, May 21, 2022.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    And so would the game, probably.

These massive discounts is the only thing that makes this game reasonably-priced and why you can recommend it without adding "but it'll cost you an arm and a leg". Without it, the game would be several times more expensive than every other racing sim out there except iRacing, while not offering several times more/better features.

When you pay 65 Euro or more, and after a few years it's cheaper to abandon your account and start a new one, this is, let's say, not ideal... What about capping the final price of your purchase at 10k vRP? That way you at least won't need to create a new account while the publisher and the devs still get the same money.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  2. Phlox

Phlox New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I didn't se te option before. It's a little scary, and I will lose access to some cars that are no longer available, if I'm not mistaken. I'll probably stay away for the moment, and wait for my friend to come a test all the sims in my rig.

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You mean those sims that have been abandoned 2-3 years after release and the promised bug fixes either never happened or were sold to us as yet another full price installment? ;)

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    If you´ve been missing for 4 years then that´s about 16 totally new cars (about half those cars, no one uses anyway like the electric ones) and tracks you don´t have plus lots more duplicated cars like the ADAC GT3s or WTCR yearly releases, which you don´t really need now as you can race with cars from previous years on ranked multiplayer.

In this case, you could just buy the car packs like WTCR19, ADAC20 and GT4 and it will be much cheaper than individual cars or buying another premium pack.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Without discounts, Raceroom content costs 1500+ USD. So yes, that would still be more expensive than other sims even if you put together AC and ACC, AMS1 and AMS2, PC1 and PC2.

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So the content is worth 1500+ USD, and you're upset about having spent 65€ for it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how my comments can be interpreted this way...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Sounds just like rFactor 2, they don't have a premium pack either...

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Alt F4 enables sarcasm filter.

Every game has its own business model with its pros and cons. Rfactor and AC have an immense library of quality free content though so you can really do just fine buying the base game and installing or making your own mods.

iRacing is more like belonging to a church or gym, you are a member and are expected to contribute every month and for any additional services.

Raceroom in theory is the best value in terms of original content up to the point you buy the packs but after that its value for money tanks plus you are locked to the official content and liveries whereas just about every other game allows custom liveries and AI names and performance.

I think that value is really something the buyer has to perceive subjectively, though. Does anyone seriously need or use 200 cars with 1000 skins and 50 tracks? Missing out on content does not make the game unplayable so I feel that often we are just obsessed with collecting and/or want to show support for the game.

90% of the time, Spa, Monza, Hockenheim, Nords plus your favourite GT3 and touring car is what you will be using in mutiplayer so that´s about 30 euros max at full price for years of enjoyment. If, however, you were oliged to keep buying yearly refreshes of the cars you already own to be able to join official servers then the cost would indeed increase quickly and becomes like the F1 or FIFA franchises. At the moment that´s not the case with the Gt3s at least, but the WTCR 20 and 21 pricing model does seem a tad abusive in comparison as you are paying 16 or so euros every year for just one or two new cars and a 7 car skin pack, more so when the cars are a year out of date already. Again, the buyer values whether it is what they want to do or not.

That´s all the more surprising when you see that older content has not increased in price despite physics updates and track detail refreshes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  10. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I find it weird that Premium Pack owners in Raceroom, who took advantage of an outstanding 90-95% discount, expect to have such discount eternally on everything...

...all while iRacing users defend its purchase model fanatically when its quality varies wildly and they can't even test it beforehand.

I feel like Raceroom spoiled its playerbase a little bit with its free content and great deals on packs. Folks got used to expect that this stuff should be cheap.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The same way you deliberately misinterpreted mine...

12. Phlox

Phlox New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll take a look at it, I always end up buying everything, but in this case makes no sense.

I don't want eternal discounts, in fact if I stay playing I probably buy every single car and track on day one. I am not that happy with some of the money spent in some hardware :confused: It was just weird after coming back to find its much cheaper to start a new account than to buy the 1/3 I don't own. In fact if it wasn't for the email they sent for the summer sale telling me to buy the premium pack for 50 I'll just be driving some new car :)

13. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    What it's worth or what you have to pay? o_O
    Give a permanent discount of 20 % to Premium pack owner and everybody is happy.

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I'm all ears if you explain what you mean directly, without hints or rhetoric questions.

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Barely anyone would buy all that content without these massive discounts. That was my point.

Percents don't matter. The only thing that matters is how much money you actually pay and what content and features you actually get for it. 90-95% might look enormous until you look at other games, like AC or PC, and realise that 50 tracks + 150 cars (being mostly old content) for 50 Euro is not that special. Although it's still a very good price, for sure.

But what about 1/3 of that content for 150 Euro? Now that's a much worse deal and it's worse than any other sim offers, except iRacing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  16. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Sorry but you know that both AC and PC can be had with full content for 10bucks on Steam Sales?

and suggesting it’s old content is kind of misleading as well sorry to say
    On top of that free mods are available for both games with most recent cars and tracks

I bought RRE FULL GAME back end 2018 in a Black Friday sales for something like 80bucks

added another 40 to 50bucks since in my owned content but yes I don’t feel having to do this is completely fair to me, or others, historical faithful customer

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Time for a poll, methinks.

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You can have a 50% discount on everything right now.
    No hints or rhetoric questions in my original statement, which you chose to put out of context.
    The fact stands that most other games/sims get updated for 2, maybe 3 years max, then they get abandoned and all the things that had been promised are sold as a new full price title. I can't be the only one here remembering the life cycles of f.e. PCars 1 through 3?
    If people are happy installing and running a program that hasn't been updated in years because you can get that abandonware for a couple bucks and then put mod files into it which some random dude cobbled together, go for it. I just don't think it's fair comparing that sort of product to the kind of support and updates you get in RR.
    Some people act as if they're asked to give away some money and then don't get anything in return, somehow ignoring the years of full access to all the infrastructure and free of charge updates.
    How's that misleading? When was the last official update for either published? So again, I think it's a lopsided comparison putting products that have been out of development for years against sth that's being actively maintained and expanded.
    And if you must compare them, compare the launch prices plus launch prices for all the DLCs and tell what you spent when buying all these on release day. Because that's another onesided view, comparing abandonware prices against release day prices in RR, ignoring discounts like the current one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I agree it is not fair to compare games which all have different development and pricing policies.

RRE is the only one on the market where you can play for free and even drive all cars for free. No downpayment, no monthly subscription or pay 2 win.

That said, it´s also the only racing game which only sells content via its own store (and currency) and the game is locked to all mods - a bit like the Apple iOS.

Income from DLC is important and long time players mostly seem willing to keep spending money on content they will perhaps rarely use in order to support the game but there are two things that could be done to make the experience more rewarding.

One is to provide the equivalent of a season pass buy all unowned content button - the easier you make it for the customer to buy something, the more likely they are to buy it. The second is to reconsider the linked discount system for items such as the WTCR annual releases. As things stand, a player who already owns 2018, 2019, 2020 and TC cup variants of the same car like the Honda Civic still pays €2 for just one livery of the 2021 version. A player with only one previous variant still pays 2 euros. That´s not right and even less so compared to the Gt3/adac/dtm21 price model, which is 30 cents per livery. No one is forcing people to buy the same car over and over, of course, but why is there such a discrepancy and where is the incentive? It´s more likely people will just buy only the totally new cars like the Hyundai.

20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, and I'm in no way trying to say that the store or pricing policy are anywhere near perfect. I'm all for making this easier. The thing about the "buy all missing content" button some ask for is how do you handle that? Do you make use of the various packs or do you simply put in all the available content individually, which could lead to people getting upset when they later find out they could have had the content cheaper through packs.

This is just me guessing, but I think the "problem" with a season pass is that such a thing then comes with certain (rightful) expectations. People will expect a certain amount or a particular type or series of content to get released and if it then doesn't, for whatever reason, you've got a problem. I think RR/KWS are afraid to corner themselves like that.
    I might be wrong here but my guess was that this was requested by some party involved in that deal. Devs surely wouldn't have done it like that had they had the choice...