[Poll] Downshift Prevention, yes, no or maybe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian G, Oct 12, 2015.

?

DSP - a feature needed or just plain evil?

1. + DSP

19.8%
  2. + DSP, but only for cars that have it irl

71.0%
  3. + DSP, but not in SP

3.1%
  4. - DSP

6.9%
  5. [How] Put car into neutral until save revs are reached

1.5%
  6. [How] Reject shift requests

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm in a polling mood right now, sorry. :)

As Bruno Spengler touched the subject and revealed what systems are being worked on right now, and the fact that DSP has been introduced in AC and received massive dislike, what is your take on it? Should we have DSP, and if so how?

There's the strong point of realism, many series, F1 f.e., are using systems that prevent early shifts by rejecting the shift request. And of course it will put an end to people abusing the gearbox to gain time by quickly downshifting in order to maximise engine breaking.

On the other hand people don't like to be nannied and they might feel just that way. And what about cars that don't have it irl, like all those classics and cars with manual gearbox in general?

So the question is split, should we have it, and if so how? Accordingly you can select multiple answers.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I just would like to stick to reality as much as possible, at least in get real mode - implement it like in real life, but if the early downshift is possible then you also should have the engine or gearbox damage.

• Agree Agree x 12
  3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Keep them coming!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    I am pro DSP, but only if it works as it should. My biggest pro is the totally insane downshifting done in f.e. the DTM, yes these cars have DSP, but even if they didnt downshifting that fast without punishment is not realistic either.
    So its a yes from me, but not the only solution to the above problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yeah, I agree with Jay - as long as it works as it should i'm pro DSP. But it shouldn't be to restrictive. Maybe prevention should start slightly above the RPM-Limiter.
    Especially with Damage on DSP maybe isn't needed when the gearbox scrapped fast enough.

6. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    After Bruno's complaint on not being able to downshift as quick as irl, we're adjusting this before release. We're adding a tolerance (105%)

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I'm fully for if it's what the real car has.
    But it should be well calibrate, with the same level of protection than the real car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Will you adjust it on a per car basis (as long as you have the data for), or is it a general settings that will be applied to all the car that have DSP enable ?

9. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Offtopic: And a prevent for neutral gear could be included in future? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Yes to DSP, if the real car has one. For a car without DSP the gearbox should get damaged if you downshift too quickly.

Maybe DSP could fit well into the driving aids menu with possible settings like "off", "on" and "realistic". Also for Dedicated servers. So server admins could set DSP to "on", even if the car doesn't have one.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    We treat paddle shift and H-pattern cars differently. You'll see and hear what happens if you try and force your Capri into a lower gear too early :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    So this feature will be implemented to all vehicles at the same time as DTM 15? :)
    How about the dirt build up causing lower grip after run off's? (sorry for off topic)

13. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    DSP will be applied to all cars yes.

Dirt build up is a very recent feature that we did after 17th September test session with Bruno Spengler. It was a bit rushed in, lacking QA time, and we could only do it safely to DTM 2015. We will bring it to all classes though. Just takes time to tweak.

• Like Like x 7
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 3
  14. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    This. It should be on cars that have it, and not on cars that don't. It should also be an option, I should be able to turn it off if I don't want it and a dedicated server host should have the option to enable it or disable it as they desire.

15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    After three days of personal experience with DSP in Assetto Corsa which got it just implemented, I am all for it. Its all positive, and also seems to get approval by a clear majority of players over there, and the devs absolutely are for it, too.

So yes: add DSP to Raceroom. And the imperial package: always on, all cars, all modes. That way no bad habits get build in SP that then get carried over into MP.

Abusing early downshifting in MP sometimes turns things into hilarious dimensions. Players claim to be for realism - blowing up their engines several times per lap, by reality's standards. Thats a contradiction to their claim for realism.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I hate it.
    I like being the driver myself, good or bad but in control. No TC, no ABS and of course no DSP.
    I'm pro realistic damage instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Well, it could be made optional the day when the engine inevitably blows up when downshifting too early.

Until then, enforce DSP.

The point of these things is that they are in control more reliably and in a better, faster fashion than humans could. Thats why ABS is used by almost all pro drivers.

Some street cars also are designed to be driven with these system being switched on. I recall a funny episode from I think Top Gear when the driver lapped I think an MP4 or a P1, and complained about these damn MacLarens being "so fast but so boring to drive". Then some stuff got switched off. The result was that in the next lap the driver almost committed suicide :) and landed in the green, parking the car there and breaking off the session. The car almost ate him. So much for "staying in control."

The point of thse sytems in the end is to make the ride faster, more comfortable, and safer - all three. If you want to dance with the devil, drive the Shelby Cobra. ;) That means herding a sack with an angry snake in it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for yet another off topic..
    Will this feature be visual on the open wheelers?

19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If everyone wants realism then the cars that use DSP should have it, done my head right in first time I drove A/C with it but just something to get used to and enjoy the cars without it even more!
    I like it but only where it's used as part of the series rules.
    My only fear is not being a professional driver I'm gonna miss time gear changes and if doing it once is gonna end my race then I may like to have the option to enable DSP so I can finish a race!

20. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    As of now, not.
    We do wish for it though, so let's see. But we'll most likely go out with open wheelers before we manage to do that.

5524f536446e4863bbd1e2ec316bb903.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2