The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I didn't notice a change, runs smooth like before, but I only have a single screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Triples here, no change, but I had (for the first time ever) total loss of FFB halfway a 10 lap race with 24 Fiat Abarths at Road Atlanta, AI at 100%, starting last and working my way through the field...
    Restarted wheel and race and same thing happened, refreshed firmware and calibration: same issue after 4-5 laps.
    Tried pCars and R3E: no issues.
    Back to AC, Brands Hatch Indy this time, same issue !

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I have driven Spielberg in Raceroom, to compare, and while I like the fog and light possible in AC's version, I somehow like the general looks of Raceroom's version better. But Kunos does progress in paying more attention to track cosmetics, and they have improved the old tracks in last update already, but still, Raceroom usually has the edge there. I am just not that certain anymore regarding the Nordschleife, which also was improved in AC. I cannot nail it down, but either they really had done some significant improvement in AC, or I jst have not paid sufficient attention to the track before the cosmetic polishing - I can hardly say which version I like better now, AC's or RR's.

I think that in Raceroom the AI currently suffers from some known issues, or not? I don'T know exactly what they are, but in the visible result somehow it really has become somewhat too tame, too much focussed on in-line-driving, ironically AC has significantly improved in this area that once was its by far biggest issue. I see no major quality differences between both AI's currently. I hope Raceroom will not endlessly stagnate with its AI as it is now. They should push it back to former greatness, one year ago, were it prioduced surprising events and the AI really went into rumbles with itself.

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Considering that the packs cost little money only, I rate them as steals, and the model is completely transparent, what I like. The main argument for me has been the tracks anyway, not so much the cars. And somehow I find myself mostly racing Kunos-made tracks in AC. Mod-tracks may look nice at times, but only rarely they could compete with the driving physics that Kunos is able to set up with its own tracks. With the exception of the usual mod track suspects, I mean - there are solid track mods, no doubt. But they get used rarely, also in MP: rarely only. Which means in case of most mod tracks: never.

5. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, current AI in R3E is not what it used to be, it got worse (presumably) with the large grids. There were indications, S3S is currently working on it, so I believe it gets great once again.

With the last update, I can't get away from AC. The AI, while not perfect, is very fun to race against. They know about me, they do attack, but not in a kamikaze-style. If I had to restart a race, it was always because of my dangerous moves. If I drive carefully like when playing online, the races are very realistic. Yes, there are places on the tracks, where AI is much slower than they should be for the level set, but I hope, even this gets addressed over time.

Some will probably disagree, but I really like Kunos' approach how they do both, the game and business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    The AI in Assetto indeed is awesome. I watched Stefano's coding stream and he tackled a few of the issues with it. I guess he confirmed that with some cars they are just too good (like the old Maseratis) and that is because they actually have stability control on (no wonder I cannot keep up with them in them older car, while they get obliterated in GT3). What was more interesting to see was what happened when he turned that stability control off - the AI was still very competent, but drifted a lot on the track (hey, just like you see in those vintage racing films). I think they will try to code it so the AI does not use that assist, but it has to work correctly for all the cars and also with all that sliding around, they need to be able to avoid crashing into each other, which I guess is the main reason they are 'cheating'.

I played both today, Assetto and Raceroom and I must say, I am a bit spoiled by AC. Raceroom still feels more fun, with sharper graphic, but at the same time it started to bother me how hard it is to lock the brakes or spin out while braking too hard or mid corner compared to Assetto Corsa. On the other side, I feel like there is something about Racerooms tires that is a bit better and that is the feeling of lateral grip. I doubt that Raceroom has anything like the contact patch model of rFactor 2, but it definitely does simulate tire flex at least visually. This difference is so evident when going slightly sideways. Like in Raceroom you can easily feel it and correct those mini-slides while still pushing and in Assetto they always turn into larger slides and you lose time or just spin out completely. Not sure how different the two sims are in terms of tire physics, but it will be interesting to see how both develop in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. knut m helgeland

knut m helgeland Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Tried the Ferrari 488 GT3 from the Red Pack today, and i liked it better than the Maserati GT4 car as it felt a bit more "alive". Yet to try the modern F1 cars, but those don't really interest me as much as the old cars and the GT stuff.

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I think there was a thread some time ago, two or three months, where it was shown that AC has tyre flex, but just physically/in calculations, the visuals do not show it to that extent. If so, then tyre flex is there in driving, you just cannot see it in the exterior model.

The cars in Raceroom'S physics model tend to have more inherent grip in general, which makes the sim more accessible for many players. You need to push harder than I would expect in order to make your car spinning. In AC the transition from a controlled to an uncontrollable state of the car, is more fluid and variable, and different to you I find it easier to catch a beginning spinning-out-of-control, because the sim telegraphs me earlier and in more subtlety what it is about to do: go spinning.

In MP and racing door-to-door, this difference of course helps Raceroom, since a car that is easier to control by the player(s) means cleaner races and more fighting possible without spelling disaster. Sometimes doing things a bit simpler must not be a bad thing. Any many drivers overestimate themselves. Doing a tight chassis-to-chassis duel imo is more difficult and takes more "drivemanship"in AC, than in RR, even more so since to me chassis contact is tolerated without spinning at slightl yhigher speed deltas in RR, than in AC: you can rub your nose with the other driver'S in AC, but you better do it with a lower speed delta than in RR. Many MP however do not want to hear this, and already drive in the first corner of the race as if it were the last turn of the completed race. Guess how it ends all too often.

^That is one of the reasons why I prefer SP and a good AI.

9. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I think in Raceroom a lot depends on the car really. The Touring Classics for example are too forgiving IMO, but since I mostly drive either the Mustang GTO or the Greenwood Vette, I don't find it particularly challenging to put the car into a spin. Maybe less than a road car in AC, but then again, these are race cars. Now that said, with my current FFB setting in RR, I feel like loosing grip is transferred to my wheel immediately and I have no trouble correcting, while in AC there is always a slight delay (at least I feel like that) and I always have to give the wheel a little nudge and lift off a bit to catch a slide and hence I think I slide a bit more in such situations. Body-roll slides are more of a pain in AC, but I found that some cars just tend to do those with default setups. The Ford GT would be worst offender - how they though the default setup would be acceptable to drive this thing fast eludes me.

Anyhow, my point is, that even considering Raceroom's physics are more newcomer-friendly, the overall driving experience (at least to me) feels better, because I get better feedback for what the car is doing at any given time. It's worth noting, that this experience only became possible to me, after they introduced the FFB graph and I had to redo my whole setup, since everything was apparently wrong in settings before. With Assetto, driving is a lot more challenging, but I feel like this is partially because when I am faced with cornering I always have this uncertainty about the braking point, how much brake to use, what gear and so on, and the FFB tells me stuff usually after things begin to happen and not the exact split second they do. I said it at some point, but I believe the initial barebones FFB in Early Access stage did a better job then the current model. Stefano mentioned that he feels that there is too many settings now and I am eager to see, if they will try to improve this and if things get better when they increase the physics refresh rate or whatever its called.

Still, Assetto does feel awesome with some cars. The 12 cylinder Maserati is IMHO a masterpiece and I hope they do revisit other cars to improve the feel. Currently it's very weird that a 12 cylinder fuel can with wheels and no rev limiter is easier to drive than a Ford GT. And personally, for me this is all because of what info I get from the wheel.

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Lightweight, Extreme downforce, Full-carbon, High safety, Low running cost - Praga R1 is coming.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  11. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    - Fixed GRAPHICS_PITCH_ROTATION
    - Fixed AI sometimes pitting at the last lap
    - Heave springs are now using rod length from suspension if not in monoshock mode
    - Improved AI at race starts
    - Levante rim size fixed
    - Huracan GT3 and ST pit light fixed
    - now acServerManager manages drs_zones.ini files
    - Removed dedicated VR driver eyes positions
    - Fixed F138 and SF15-T wrong range of damper values in setup screen
    - Fixed F138 and SF15-T main body angle of attack viualizzation in WINGS app (no differences in aero performance)
    - Improved ERS for McLaren P1, now with 2 profiles, race and charging.
    - Nissan GT-R Nismo now uses automatic clutch
    - Fixed tyre smoke remaining visible after remote car disconnected
    - DRS now automatically closes when outside of DRS zone

12. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    My first laps with a GT3 in Assetto Corsa and its alot of fun:)

Hope you enjoy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ??? One may not publish AC videos??

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand this message either.
    @Alexander Dornieden posted this video in the AC forum as being his own video, so what is the problem with posting it here too ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    A somewhat different AC video from me - driving as the "Star in a reasonbly priced car" on Top Gear ;)

(my video, no ripped content whatsoever...)

16. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I still don't get it, sorry :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    It is just the Name of the Thread he put in the Link.

18. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Ah ok. It was a bit confusing why he attached the link only to the word "ban", but, ok...

19. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Well my first Multiplayer Race in Assetto Corsa where i could battle with someone till the end and it was really enjoyable and fun!
    Most of the action happened in the last few laps of the race so yeah...i just recorded it :)
    Here we go:

Hope you like it and of course i would appreciate some feedback!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Good driving there, mate. ;)

However:

Regarding the short debate before, in most forums, posting videos with or about ripped content, is forbidden, can even lead to instant ban. Such posts can bring the legal owner of the forum into legal troubles, you know. It is assumed that this also is the reason, at least part of the reason, why Kunos have shut down their track and car mod forums. They have banned many people posting about ripped content over the past 18 months.

Also, please do not exaggerate this thread to become a pure AC "advertising" thread. In my understanding - which is officially unconfirmed, btw. - it seems to be okay to give info on developments and new releases, and to compare both AC and RR and discuss what one likes better in what title and for what reason. That a new patch is out, a new license got obtained, a new DLC got released. The same is done for RR in Kunos' forum, by me and some others - again, tolerated, but not officially supported by Kunos.

So please, lets not abuse this thread for one-sided, biased fan-boyism. I always posted in these threads under the premisse that people following in here are like me: not being about "the one sim over the other", but "liking both, playing both, wanting the best from both, supporting both".

So please everybody, act with some sensibility for the fact that this is Sector3's forum. And after all, even if us players dream of some more romanticism - Kunos and Sector3 in the end are economic competitors. Maybe they tolerate these two threads only because it is a comfortable way to learn about expectations people have for their games due to the rivalling game, and comfortably learn about what the rival is up to. :)

Technical support for AC in Kunos forum, not here. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016