The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone tried WTCC mod in Assetto in VR? Is sequential shifting visualized correctly? I got Oculus, and despite lack of weather and day night transition, I am thinking of trying AC due to its modability. pCars is great, but those liveries that have nothing to do with reality are really putting off. It seems like AC has sort of real life series with help of mods.

2. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. F_FLETCHER

F_FLETCHER Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    nice video, cool music to the video and drift Yevgeny! :hearteyes::sunglasses:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Their homepage Assettocorsa.net has been reworked, and it has become a very nice display of presentation. Especially the new lists with cars and tracks is well-done, and can be easily handed to others to answer their question for default content. All pics clickable

http://www.assettocorsa.net/cars/

http://www.assettocorsa.net/tracks/

Also many fine screenshots and a link to their youtube video channel on that site.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    After 1.7.5 update i have a lot fps dropping. Now i have near 35 fps with only my car on the grid instead 61-63 (locked) with full grid (23 opponents at Nordschleife) before this update. :(

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^ Me too, somewhat, maybe not that extreme. I also had the AI becoming Superman on steroids and leaving me in the dust on lap 1 - at lowest possible setting. It came somewhere after 1.7, but was solved with 1.7.5 yesterday. I still need to move former ssetting from 88-92 to now 85-89 to have them in my stirking range with default setups, but okay. The aI in AC is extremely fast if you unloose he chains, explanation was that they use the perfect setup and drive the perfect ideal line. Just their braking sometimes still is a bit of a downer. AI lap pace quite varies with cars and tracks, which is not so good. I wish there would be more consistency. The GT3 at Nordschleife and Spa however is fast, if let loose, I mean its real fast.

On frames, I used to have stable 50-60 with full car field on all Kunos tracks, but that now sometimes can lead to problmeat5ic drops and even stuttery frames. I reduced car feild to 20 max, and was safe again. To have some reserve for smoke scenes and such, I now run with maximums of 16 cars. All fluid frames again, 55-60.

Try that. Small loss, but huge performance gain. Stefano some days ago showed he was able to gain back 35% of his frames again due to optimising the code, but I do not know whether that has already been included in 1.7.5, or is coming with 1.8

7. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Optimisation coming in 1.8
    After 1.7.4 i have near 63 (max locked fps) fps with full grid, but after 1.7.5 only near 35 with only ONE car
    AI's is not problem for me, only F138 and SF15T is extremly fast even with 80 lvl. My time ~ 5:30 at Nordschleife

Upd: i'm find my problem in fps. Smoke generation set to Ultra, after setting it to Low, i have stable 62-63 fps with full grid again :)

8. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else finding the races with the AI are finishing one lap to soon? done a race at the Nurburgring full grid of GT3's and the white flag came out at the start of lap9 race finished at the start of lap10.

9. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    That was my first thought but I realized they changed the lap counter. It still reads as if the number was the lap you're on but actualy it's showing completed laps; you have 0 along first lap. Check it out. ;)

10. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Ok, bit of a arse about face of doing things, thx's for reply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Holy moly, some quite big news and confirmations:

- BMW M6 GT3 coming in 2017
    - more modern GT3s incomings
    - historic Monza track (banked) coming with 1.8
    - SEVERAL (!!) Porsche DLCs with 24 cars alltogether
    - Silverstone 1967 for free, this year
    - unrevealed new laserscanned track this year, a wish from poll results
    - performance and frame gains while at the same time increasing refleciton quality
    - a dozen of vbarious other cars in development

Heck, they have a run now.

Oh, and they have laserscanned the remains of the historic Spa track, as far as was possible, but currently have no ressources free to work on it. Could be in the future, could be not - who knows. But the laserdata is there.

I think its fair to say that by now they have more than just stampeded rF2 into the ground. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Hi Skybird,

I am buying AC at next sale anyway, due to VR support, but have you got a chance to evaluate T5 mod and WTCC on AC? If so, how would you compare them to R3E? Even with lack of VR, I still enjoy R3E DTM/WTCC worlds more than pCars, but of course, would be nice to get those series in VR.

Another question, how is sense of speed in AC? I don't get such a good sense of speed in other games compared to R3E. From what I read it is related to FOV, but never managed to get satisfying results in games other than R3E. Thanks!

13. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    No official WTCC for AC and not in to do list. Only mods of some cars and mostly private.
    Sense of speed depend not only from FOV but different for some cars. For ex. sense of speed for Mustang is not so good like for Corvette. Slow cars sense to slow, for ex. Abarth. But for all race cars sense of speed is ok.

Porsches DLC not several, but 3 with 24 cars total :) First DLC coming in september
    Penalty for ignoring blue flag in MP
    Kunos has rejected suggestions from several car manufacturers, because don't have time to create car models (maybe will do after all Porsches DLC is released)
    2 LMP 1Porsches - 2015 and 2016
    LMP 1 Toyota TS040 - release data Jan/Feb 2016
    Maserati MC12GT1 - WIP
    McLaren P1 GTR, 570SGT4
    Lotus 3-Eleven
    New brands is coming at the begining of 2017
    LMP Audi 2014
    With 1.8 all GT3 cars will be with tyres model 10
    One more laser-scanned track in this year (big chance it will be Bathurst or Laguna Seca)
    One more fake track based in Italy or Scotland
    New dream pack have 2 Ferrari, Praha and some more

Bad news:
    No hystoric Spa (they have laser-scan data, but creating this track take about 6 month and Kunos don't shure about this track will be popular to have enough money from DLC with it)
    No Bentley and Aston Martin (to expensive license)
    No rolling start
    No Suzuka (crazy price for license)
    Koenigsegg don't answer for any Kunos suggestions
    No Bugatti (big chance it come with AC2)
    No Subaru
    No Peugeot
    No NASCAR and Indy
    No DTM

Some new futures and cars come only with AC2. For ex. Le Man track and day/night

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No clue, I do not care much for mod cars. Its work to keep them updated , sometimes at least. And then sooner or later comes Kunos and ruins it again with another major patch of theirs. :D Happened a lot in the early days.
    Serious, the cars in AC cover a very wide range, and within one class show greater spread, diversity in behaviour than in RR. You should be busy to check them all out. And if you aren't then you do something wrong. :) Some of these cars really need time to study them and get into them. That's true for the fats cars - but for the slow cars as well. Driving the slow car fast - that is what needs to be learned.

Its obviously depending on the amount of viewing field you have to the side, that is where the environment hushes by your window fast. The narrower your FOV, the more you see the bump of the track and realise the hood moving up and down, yes - but the worse your sense of speed. The wider the FOV, the more your eyes catch from the scenery flying by at your side - and the better speed you get. - You also want to consider cockpit perspective (mirrors especially). In AC, I drive almost exclusively in cockpit view, and it is fully adjustable, on all three axis in space. I use FOV around 55° in cockpit and on a single screen 24". Also, their new dashboard camera, implemented for the consoles, works very well in many cars.

You also will get different sense of speed in different cars, like in reality. In some real world cars you can drive very fast and still think you drive with 40% less the speed you actually have. Same effects can be seen in AC.

Do yourself a favour, do not start with mods. The masters of cars and track physics for AC, are Kunos themselves. Mods are for when the default content starts boring you. Me, after over two years and being with AC from release of their first tech demo on, still find myself falling back to their own tracks time and again, although I have some very, really very good mod tracks, too.

Some race cars come a little short in supply with race skins. You may want to consider to collect such skins instead, in the beginning. The new 488GT3 for example has some race skins, which all are simple, and colour variations of just one generic scheme. I placed them all into a parking folder, and added 20 download skins in the four days after release. Now its fine.

If you are crazy for WTCC, stay with Raceroom then, its better a race event and season simulator. AC does not shine with presenting season events and race events, its focus is different. Pit stopping also still leaves much to be desired, imo. In driving, AC has the edge over RR, in racing and event handling, RR trumps AC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  15. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    AC2? Is a successor already announced? Or will it be an update from the existing AC 1.X to AC 2.0?

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I'd be surprised to see a AC2 before 2020. Not worth to hold your breath for it.

Development of things and content for AC1 is in full swing, still, and consoles are coming. Fineprint of AC credits screens also indicate several more years of AC focus (2020). Marco Massarutto two years ago talked of "at least until 2018", regarding development of AC.

And honestly, I see no need for AC2 already.

I doubt with all determination that it will be a simple update from AC1 to AC2, once AC2 gets done. They need to redo engine and such from scratch. At best they can use old laserscan data - how it is with the legal situation of licenses for a new AC2, I do not know.

But why looking this far ahead into an uncertain future, when the present currently is so good. We have Raceroom as is, we have Assetto Corsa as is, some would say they have Automobilista as is. Heck, its rich times for race simmers.

17. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Mechanically separated pork byproducts

18. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thank you guys, informative read (and quite discouraging). Having low expectations however, sometimes helps to be happy :)

I remember DTM mods for GTR2 - they were not perfect, had no damage etc, but, they conveyed the essence of the series, F1 like (enormous grip), almost identical cars. Those mods were my intro into DTM, and I really enjoyed them. Hopefully T5 is remotely like that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  19. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I can't get any mods to work

20. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    BTW Skybird, I do not want to sound dismissive of your points - I am glad you find so much of what you like in AC. But we all are different, and reading your description of AC once again reminds me why I haven't bought it yet, and actually had no plans on buying, till one thing came into picture - VR.