The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    What sets me (and the other Fanatec owners) off the most is that each time these issues are brought up on the AC forum, they get marked with a red NON ISSUE stamp, without ever being commented or given a reason or explanation. That was also the case in the topic I linked to you on the AC forum. I guess you may have read it and wonder how you feel about that ?

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The limited key remapping options are no "issue", there is nothing "broken" - its a wanted design decison by theirs. Its just that this design decision is not welcomed by many. Like the absence of VW in the game is no issue or broken thing, but another design decision.

Its different from how it is with the fanatech LED module. Fanatech simply provides no own code to support it and expects game designers or third party tools to take care for that. THAT is an issue, its called lacking driver support. You could compare it to certain wheels on PS3 not beign licened by Sony and so no official hardware support and hardware rcognition taking place - game studios had to manually support the wheels without Sony'S chip to make sure their own single game recognises the wheel. Only licensed wheels with Sony'S security chip would be recongised by PS3 itself, without further support by the game needed to make that wheel recognised.

As I understand it, the ball regarding the LEDs is in Fanatech'S field. Other stuidos may have opted to do Fanatech'S work and write their own LED support driver inside their game. Kunos decided not to follow that example.

And that is enough time spend by me on issues with a wheel and brand that i do not even own. I would simply ask you next time you criticise AC to do it more sober and leave the personal derogatory tone against their staff out. Its not about you disagreeing with me or criticising AC, I did my share of AC criticism in the past, too - I am more about how you have repeatedly presented it. These personal things simply are not needed. Kunos may do some things weired, in your view - but then, they also do an awful lot of things right, and they are financially much more customer friendly than any of the other heavyweight sim racers out there.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    is it such a hassle to download fanaleds and just run that ?

Andi

4. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That is what most F-owners do, but the downside is that after every Kunos update that gets broken again and the guys at Fanaleds are getting a bit fed up with that. Therefor we have to wait several weeks/months for them to update again and see new life in or rev lights.There is another alternative: SLI-Max, that does not seem to suffer the same from Kunos updates. Sadly that software does not support all of Fanatics functions (rumble motors in wheel and pedals mainly).

5. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ill be honest although i own AC (and every other sim out there going back to the middle ages ) i rarely play it due to my complete failure to get the feel i want in my wheel (fanatec user) ... also to be honest aswell my actual gaming time is limited by time (parent and work) and also JF and sonat rarely let me out of the testing cage were they drip feed me on redbull and make me do endless laps in testing .
    It is a pain when updates etc make it into the game thus breaking stuff , and yep i can understand why the fanaled guys get miffed ..... but there is always going to be this issue with games that evolve

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird
    So you are simply too stubborn and unwillingly to agree on how every Fanatec owner thinks about this.
    You have no Fanatec gear, nor do even know you what it can and should do, but you will go all the way to support AC, even after trying to get some help on the AC forum, in which you did not succeed either.

People warned me about you, but I always want to find out for myself.
    But as for now, you are the first ever that goes on my ignore list.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  7. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Need to be fair and point out a wrong fact here. They do.
    Fanatec SDK + access to upcoming drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Not going to the trouble once again JF. I'll leave it by this and I left that "false fact" part out of my post.
    It was not just about his last post here, he also was also - let's call it 'inaccurate" - in his post on the AC forum.

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    If so, I stand corrected. But i have taken this input since two years on random occasions and thus understood it the way I put it, and lately again I read it described like this in the thread I linked to. It seems to be a wide-spread belief, therefore. If its a myth, I wonder where it comes from.

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    If I would have bought hardware worth lets say 1200 bucks, without pedals, and then i find a feature in it not working as it should, i would be slightly pissed, too. ;) You can use workarounds, yes. But working around something should not be the standing routine, becoming the mainstream solution. After all, its just a workaround - a temporary improvised solution.

11. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    for me there are many games that dont offer stuff , so i download crewchief , fanaleds etc etc ; its no big deal for me ... i think sometimes we take all of this internet discussion on sim racing as if its a life or death situation , when in fact its dancing pixels and distraction ... dont get me wrong i love my moments of autism , sat in my rig , racing , testing , chatting on mumble or TS (which i downloaded) ..

just that i think we have a tendency to make things a little extreme , things come over badly in type when we are expressing a passion ... and this for some reason ends in train wrecks all to often ...
    i wish we could just be a community , but it seems we arent capable

Andi

• Like Like x 3
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ive been in this place since one and a half year now, and I would say we have found a very friendly and decent place in this forum, maybe even too peaceful, due to lacking news. I am not willing to see this forum by S3 as a "place of troubles" just because rare exceptions from the usually peaceful routines. All in all this forum is an exceptionally kind place.

I other words: lay back and relax, enjoy the forum, all is good. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Thought i'd give AC a go today purely from the hype surrounding it.
    First impression was it looks really nice.
    Second impression was - i can't see the car set-up from my rig position as it's really small and doesn't account for 4k.
    Third impression - can't use the D-pad on my F1 wheel to change or select different options so i have to leave the seat and use the mouse.
    Fourth impression - Absolutely no FFB on the front wheels. I can understand that understeer might make the front end feel like it's on ice but there's no car weight there at all.
    If i've missed some settings that would make it feel as real as Raceroom does then please feel free to educate me. But at the moment it's a fast Simpsons Crazy Taxi and nowhere near the simulation that Raceroom is.

14. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I feel sorry for you about impressions 2 and 3 (in all honesty), but regarding your fourth impression: Give the game time. I've played Assetto Corsa for about 500 hours and I'm still discovering things which enhance my game experience.
    Have you already driven the Abarth 500 EsseEsse on Magione for example?
    If you can't feel the weight of the car, you have to adjust your FFB.
    Maybe you should try to enable gyro effect in the assettocorsa.ini file.
    Also, disable all canned effects like kerb effects, road effects and slip effects. These sliders just enhance the signals which are already transmitted through FFB gain.

For me it's the other way round: I'm not super happy about R3E's FFB. It has definetely improved a lot since the beginning but, for me, there is still something going on that makes it difficult for me to predict or anticipate the car's reaction to a certain action. AC's and AMS's FFB are very similiar. Both of them give me all the information I need to know what's going on. I prefer both of them over R3E - though R3E's FFB has come a long and promising way (Just to underline it again --> R3E is still improving - so are AMS and AC). Maybe there are too many sliders to tinker with for me in R3E.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    This is my biggest pet peeve with AC, as far as design decisions go I struggle to come up with any good reason, or any reason at all why they've decided against letting you bind the d-pads. Infuriating on the F1 rim that features two of them. Thoose 8 extra binds would sure come in handy racing the F1's.

FFB wise, are you running with the enhanced understeer effect on or off? It'll always come down to preference of course but I find AC to have alright FFB.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I think, @Mr.Tay was speaking of controlling the menu with his D-Pad. Unfortunately, this is not possible (yet).

In-game solution to expand commands/functions: Logitech Profiler, xPadder, ...
    I use a G27 and assigned keyboard controls (WASD) to my D-Pad. It works great.
    To control the KERS management, turbo pressure, traction control and ABS I set up a SHIFT button on my G27 via the Logitech Profiler to assign a second function to every button.
    So, I have 10 ( 5 red buttons on the wheel, because one button is the shift button to switch between commands --> you've got to hold the shift button while pressing another one) + 4 (2 paddles) commands on the wheel and 8 (4 black buttons) + 8 (4 red buttons) + 4 (D-Pad) commands on the console (shifter).
    In total: 34 commands.
    I hope I could make myself clear. I suck at writing complicated stuff in english.
    Please ask if something wasn't clear.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Sure there are ways around it such as xpadder but it's still a very odd decision to not include the ability to bind them in game. All of the big three offer at least one dpad on their rims and/or shifters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the input guys. I did try and find a few answers yesterday but found none. Looks like i should have come here first!

19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    They can even make signals feelable to the driver that by the physics' reality he should not be able to feel in the wheel at all. Steep versus flat curbs, for exmaple.

Tuning FFB can be a bitch. Not only is it quite subjective, but different hardware also takes its toll (in differences). AC often gets called out for having now exceptionally subtle FFB. If you cannot feel weight on the front, then your FFB setups needs further tweaking, for with my primtive G27 I can feel the subtelty of weight transfers and more or less load on the front or back axis quite well. Obviously, the car chosen also has an effect here.

My impression, too. I simply have not formed an idea on what to do with those many sliders in order to get what net effect. I stopped messing around with it, and simply stay with what I currently have. It does its job, I have no clue whether it could do that job better, so I think to me it is good enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I must try that, heck, that sounds interesting. I do like that with my CH Fighterstick and ProThrottle setup, but never imagined somethign like that for the G27.