VR, triple screen or single screen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fischhaltefolie, Jan 28, 2017.

?

VR, tripple screen or single screen

1. VR, nothing else

46 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Tripple screen, that's good

43 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Single screen

47 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. VR is planed

21 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Tripple is planed

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 911gt

911gt Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello to all, I drive on triple 27 "which allows to be like IRL which means that I use my 2 eyes and not be blind side right in driving left and left in driving right.

At first I had only one screen, I could not do 1 or 2 full laps without wallowing me miserably because I could not get the braking distances because I missed the passenger side view.

It's like wanting to drive his car IRL by hiding the right eye in driving with steering wheel left.

In triple screen the view is perfect I have both eyes and time the RV
    Will not give this same peripheral view it will not interest me.

Not knowing English I translated with google.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ while I agree triple screens set up right, especially larger ones, do the immersion job very nicely, I think any gamer owes to him or her self to find a way to try quality VR. And I'm a triple screen user too...but having tried VR, it is a very cool experience, even if, for me at least, perhaps not suitable for full time duty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Single IPS 27" (Dell U2715H) until VR comes down in price here (Rift is for 825 $ and vive for 1110 $ :eek::confused:). Might go with Track IR for now

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Prince Alexander

Prince Alexander Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    You can try software called "Freetrack". It's open source and free, and works rather well. You will have to build your own LED head-setup though, but it's not difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ yup, or you use your webcam for facetracking on facetracknoir which works halfway decent if setup right. Thats how i got into it before grabbing trackIR, which i absolutely love now.

6. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I started out with triples then back to single various sizes. Bought vr but then went to 4k as I wear glasses and I've got a big head so it was a struggle to be honest plus it made you steam up and sweat like a pig lol. So I'm on 4k but my monitor has developed a fault and is going back for a refund as they don't stock this model anymore. I'm currently using my 40"4k tv but i will get another monitor or 3 or ????? Don't know can't decide. I will wait for better fitting vr with better resolution before I venture down that route again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I use 3 monitors for other sims. TBH they are kinda useless for everything else and I think, if there will be a next gen VR, it will be perfect for racing, but at the moment it's a mix of immersion and eye killing blurry graphics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. smarteyeball

smarteyeball New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've been running triple screens for just over 6 years with TrackIR for ~3 and while I have enjoyed this setup for sims and the few odd few titles where a decent framerate/quality mix was viable, overall they can be a bit of a pain in the bum. The GPU grunt needed for high details and smooth framerates has meant that I've also ran dual and triple GPU setups over that time which entailed it's own set of issues.

Going back to a single card (1080) has already knocked about 40% off the frustration factor.

I find that 4K is still too GPU limited (frame vs quality) and while I've tried and like where VR is heading, it just isn't 'polished' enough for me yet.

My next step would be a compromise of going to a single 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide screen. Not quite as much 4K required grunt while keeping an expanded ratio similar to triple screens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I like my trips (27") and have tried a multitude of different configurations only to go back to a threesome, I like the immersion and scale, now of course pucker VR would be tops for immersion sure (when it gets there) and has to help concentration wise undoubtedly but I do love the wonderful 5760 x 1080 screensavers that not only amuse my guests but entice them to have a go at driving themselves, also a great feature for a livingroom (single and happy ;)) well would have been one of my Motorbikes if I could get 'em round bend in hallway! :mad:
    Already have a Trakracer 42" triple screen mount, just looking for 3 x 40"+ uhdTV's with low latency to adorn said stand. :)

Nope, you won't find any Soaps or Kardashians in this house, just loud music, racing and ..................... :eek:

10. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    After driving for years on triple 46" tv's , i made the switch to the oculus rift in may 2016

Yesterday i had pleasure to try some pretty expensive triple 27" 144hz monitors at Heusinkveld

[​IMG]

Even though the image was crisp and clear, i just could not get used to the small size of car and everything else felt like miniature. I also had a hardtime finding my brakepoints without 3d.

Something i already knew, became clear yesterday: Once you go VR, there's no turning back.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    VR is clearly not for me (I'm on triple 27" 144Hz setup).
    My cons:
    - It gets very hot on your head after a short while (even in milder room temperatures),
    - there is no awareness of your own surroundings (spouse, children, pets, drinks...the house may very well be on fire without you noticing).
    - I tried it on two occasions and each time I suffered from nausea/motion sickness after 10-15' drive (people tell me you need to get used to it - yeah, right, not worth the hassle),
    - view is too pixelated
    - periferal view is unexistent, you need to turn your head just to see something you would easily notice when using triples, without having to turn your head,
    - I can't see my nice racing gear :D

No, not now, not ever, unless it gets a lot better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    The strange thing was that i suffered from nausea when i was driving on the triples. It was a very strange feeling, never had it before.

My solution for getting hot is : Speedbased fans, it ads "4d" for extra immersion

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Do you distinguish between open wheelers and tin tops?

14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Got to drive with your head out the window in a tin top or the immersion is just gone! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    + open visor

16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Getting the triples really close did take some time to adjust, I agree, but I never had a sign of nausea coming up. I think it also depends on the view settings in the different sims, especially those with no proper triple screen support, AMS does an excellent job on that, btw. Distorted view on side monitors, like R3E (sorry to say) is really disturbing sometimes.
    I do love your speed based fans. On my previous rig I had two simple computer fans blowing (not speed based) on the hottest days. Your solution seems to add a lot of immersion (for open cockpit cars) :D
    On my actual SimLab P1 I still have to mount them, looking for a nice solution.

17. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Yes....

Openwheelers : The fans blow at 100%, which kind of feels link you're sticking your head out of the window at 100km/h

Tin tops : The fans blow max at 30%, which still gives a good indication of acceleration/deceleration without feeling unrealistic.

When we visted Heusinkvelg Enginering, we only tried AMS. I think it's because my brain is not used to see the movements on the screen smaller than the actually are in real live.

18. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    FB_IMG_1487319257441.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Now, it's a month, the poll is online.
    As i was expecting, VR is leading the field with 40 %.
    Then triple and single screen share second place with 30 % at the moment.
    Certainly everyone has a different motivation to participate. VR owners, beeing proud of their device, will vote more probable than triples and singles and triples more than singles.
    But I think this poll shows, triples and singles aren't dead yet.
    And so I hope, a proper support of triple screen is on the way (as promised in last dev stream):D

• Like Like x 2
  20. 911gt

911gt Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    And so I hope, a proper support of triple screen is on the way (as promised in last dev stream):D[/QUOTE]

I hope also because for me there is only the triple screen that comes closest to reality except of course for a one-eyed.

• Like Like x 2