Why is raceroom content so pricey compared to for ex. AC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sharp, May 19, 2017.

1. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I won't say it is cheap to play R3E to it's fullest experience as I still think certain parts of the business model do need a price reduction. Just because iRacing is even more expensive, that does not justify that R3E can be stupidly expensive. Why not just use those predatory mobile games as an example as those are even worse?

Still, considering that a lot of content are being updated as time goes by with new physics, track changes and new features that work out of the box. R3E's high pricing is still partially justifiable. The single car with all its liveries is still absurdly expensive though compared to the other packs.

I do not mind paying $5 for a track as making a track takes a lot of effort too and I do like games with a good variety of tracks. The single car with all the liveries pricing is my major bugbear, it is too expensive where I think $5 with all its liveries is a good deal for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Orisa

Orisa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately you buy in the new AC Car Pack, also ne quantity Fanatsy skins. Hardly a car has a livery, which can be seen on a real racing car.

Toyota and Audi LMP1 = 5 Real liverys
    Toyota Celica = almost genuine liverys
    Audi TT Cup = almost genuine liverys
    Audi R8 LMS 2016 = almost genuine liverys
    Audi TT RS VLN = 3 real, and ne lot of fanatsie liverys
    Maserati MC12 GT1 = 1 livery from the test car

McLaren P1 GTR = not a racing car
    Lotus 3 Eleven and McLaren 570S are road cars

Sure, the package is good, but without Comunity skins you have a feeling on the track, as you would play Grid Autosport or PCars. I do not like these fanatsy skins.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^ Yes, and if you compare strictly default content only, skin-wise AC must lose to RR (ignoring the fact that many skins to use in raceroom must be separately bought). But a feature included and advertised from all beginning on is AC's excellent moddability, and this has created quite some magnificent, professional-quality tracks, skins, even cars (some even were made official Kunos content afterwards). You can pass on these - but at your costs only. You miss very much. If you include even just quality content, you still end up with more skins for most cars and more tracks, than Raceroom has.

Some people argue that mods are worse in quality than professional content by the original maker of the tile. That simply is wrong. It is true for some, maybe even most mod content. But there are exceptions, and not a few. Mod skins often have higher resolutions, and some tracks are looking and driving better, than default tracks. You can fold over these and reject them. But nobody then should claim that mods always are worse than default content. That simply is wrong. Often it can be even better.

I can understand the reasons behind raceroom not being open for modding, . Its the wanted business model, also its about controlling the quality baseline of the available content, even more so when you plan for online activity and need to have a certain standard then. However, excluding modding comes at a huge cost for the reputation and distribution of a game or sim. Its a two-sided sword. And certainly no ideal solution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Hm, is the PS4 and Xbox-Version from AC modable? To be honest I'm not sure, but I don't think so...

And yes - that AC is modable is a good feature, but it's a totally annoying search for mods with decent quality. Maybe there are many high quality-mods available now, but comparing the ammount of available mods to those which deliver a respectful quality is a bit of a let down... And if some consider Laser-Scanned Tracks and cars with accurate physics based on real life Car-Data in AC as a big plus and than adding car and track mods as a big plus, than there are two aspects that in my opinion simply collide in requirements...

Regarding original AC-liveries - for me it looks a bit like AC is just going the easy way to avoid long approval-processes with license-partners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Does Raceroom even have a console version?

Would you not complain if there were only a handful of stuff? Are you complaining about that you can choose amongst so much good stuff...?

Tor-Poznan, btw, is a od track - that got laserscanned. You read that right. Doe snot make it less boring, imo, I don't like it by its looks. But then there is Lucca. Virgina. Riverside. and about a dozen other high quality tracks that stand out from the mass of 300 track mod entries at RD.

The Mustang Boss is a mod car that excels as a car mod. Other car mods before were turne dinto default content, if they got the licence for it from the brand owner. There are more very good cars, that are physically correct - and that will never become default content just because Kunos does not aquire the license.

And skins - you have no argument there, sorry. They are many, and many are very good and detailed, and often they have 2K, 4K, even 8K resolutions. Far more than the deault skins. If you complain that you need to choose, then I leave you alone there. :)

Then, why not? In the end, license stuff costs coins as well. While the AC DLCs are ridiculously cheap, compared to their quality. I prefer them to remain cheap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Id prefer R3E to stay unmoddable. I play AC and rfactor2 as well, and I like those games and the mods, but when i just want to race, no BS, no missing this or that, i know R3E will just work and i wont be using potentially 2nd rate content (no doubt some mods are quite good). I like having that go to sim for this case. Also it seems to help the online experience with paid content, drivers tend to be a bit more serious at least vs AC.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I have no issue buying quality licensed DLC in any game and to be honest i dont want raceroom to become moddable as i really enjoy firing up the title and never having to worry about having the proper update, mod, track, mismatch issue etc.
    That being said I would like to see sector3 add a livery editor to the title or be able to atleast add your name and # to the available liveries:)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Abso-bloody-lutely!

It's been discussed many times but custom liveries, or at the very least an editor, as you said, would be a valuable addition to a game going down the e-sports route.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    'Custom Skins DLC' can be the next DLC for R3E :rolleyes:

10. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Buying a custom skin slot for each car would be the most plausible way of doing it within the confines of the sales model.

If a 'blank' custom skin slot was purchasable for each car (at the cost of a standard livery) I think it would generate some decent revenue for Raceroom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the possibility of customizing a name or car number would be great for larger races and streams. I mean it can be confusing a lot with say a WTCC race - there's like three of four liveries for each car and they're mostly the same, so in the end in a bigger race, there's several people driving the exact same car. Not exactly viewer (and commentator) friendly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. But the custom liveries could likely also generate some legal/licensing issues for them...

13. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Feel the irony in my post James :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Possibly, but the same applies to other sims that allow custom liveries.

15. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, but R3E is an always online sim, which complicates things in this regard I'd imagine.

16. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well I like the idea of an evolving Sim against one that is to be superseded by version 2, 3, 4...................
    Overall though, I spend most of my driving time in RR, mainly for the genuine race series, immersion, development, quality content but by far the keeper has been the Dev and community interaction/input, kinda nice to feel like someone listens, even if all our wishes can't be delivered at will. Barring the odd Dickhead the forum is a wealth of information regarding all things Motorsport and a sound global gathering of like minded petrolheads.
    It's not always all about who has what car/track or who's wipers wobble and whose don't, sometimes it's just about where's the nicest place to hang out!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. whitestar

whitestar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but it's good that you did though, because I had no idea. I was under the impression that R3E cost much more than certain other sims. Was actually a bit shocked to see this. I should pay more attention I guess.

On my store it says €99.79 for the premium package. Does it get cheaper if you buy vRP?

And one more thing: Since I already have some paid content, will that get subtracted from the price, or will I have to pay for that once more?

18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the real money price is a conversion of the price in vRP.
    If you hover your cursor over the price tag it should show the price in vRP, which is 9999.
    So if you buy the 10000 vRP voucher from raceroomstore.com you can get the premium pack for 65 bucks, cause there's a bulk discount on buying large amounts of vRP there.

EDIT: The in-game shop works with vRP in general. So if you have vRP in your account it will deduct the price of an item from that. Only if you have no vRP it will make the purchase with real money from your steam wallet. But even then, in the background it will use that money to buy vRP and then pay for the content with that.
    That's why you will also get a bulk discount in the in-game store if you put several intems in your basket. But that discount will never equal the discount at raceroomstore, so buying the vRP via that is always the most lucrative option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If you buy 10000 vRP for 64,99€ at www.raceroomstore.com you can buy the premium pack with that bought vRP as the pack costs 9999vRP. So yepp, you just need to pay 64,99€ when buying the vRP previously...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    And contents you already own are discounted from that purchase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1