Why is raceroom content so pricey compared to for ex. AC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sharp, May 19, 2017.

1. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Really? More gt3s? Argh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Love'em. The spice GTs must flow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Afaik when there were delays on seemingly finished content, it was mentioned on occasions before by them that this is due to licensing terms or publisher changing priorities. It makes little sense for them to hold back content on purpose.
    However the decision to announce without closer release estimates clearly is not helping whoever is in charge ... but the announcements were also a result of community demand.

Looking back the years it feels more and more that at the publisher does not focus on a strategy to win minds and hearts of their regular gamers. It's the weird price this title pays for having the kind of official high quality content it has. It's not all bad considering that, but clearly different from ACs or PCARs level of investment into their products/teams.
    In the end those other developers can still spend more cash on content, while race room has not shown much signs to spend much more on development. The pace of the core product features is not increasing imo.
    Now being completely independent like Reiza also shows the cutbacks you have to live with (not meant disrespectful to them).
    It's frustrating, cause clearly race room had a chance to be iRacing for European series if investment was greater. PCARs doubles down and shows great ambition/spending. That niche race room could fill imo won't exist forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    If i head at least the opinion to disable this disgusting Mustangs, Camaros, Ford GT, Alpinas...so i can race against the R8, SLS and Bentleys (which are remotely up to date). But racing an Alpina on pole, haunted by 2 Mustangs, 1 Camaro and 1 Ford GT really sucks me, meanwhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    There is lots of such "smallish" features imo and the lack of progress on them reflects the lack of programming resources s3s was given to operate with.
    The team shows that they can pull off a great immersive experience, but the technology contrast to content never got much better in all those years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I gave AC yesterday a try.

I was surprised of the sound. McLaren 650 GT3 sound defenetly better than in R3E (which is not bad at all, but from the engine sound i think AC is the winner here). Optic is great. Track survace on Nordschleife defenetly better (paintings).

Starting grid: AMG GT3, Huracan, Ferrari 488, Nissan, McLarens, Glick SCG003, R8, Z4 (ok, M6 missing....), Vette 7

Driving: Here the winner is R3E.

Its a pitty, that this too sims are not working together . In AC i have always the feeling of driving on ice. The feeling is only optical realistic (Look at the cockpits (tears in my eyes), not on the wheel.

But i will try it again. Maybe bad FFB settings.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I hope that the Car-Selector will follow soon in R3E. It's just getting a need for Custom Championships now.

I wonder a bit that you like the Sound in AC or 650s @Eisprinzessin - normally you pay alot of attention on details which IMO still lack in AC's Sound-Engine. But yeah - on some cars are very good sound-samples.

8. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    The issue with R3E is, the perception issue of the game and the presentation of the store is the problem. The amount of money I spent in the game so far is less than what I spent in Forza Horizon 3 by quite a fair bit. It is definitely more expensive than almost every game in the market, though. However, I am quite satisfied with what I bought in the game so far as the content are generally very polished.

Note that I am not defending that R3E should be as it is indeed pricey as it is now.

9. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I only speek of the internal engine sound of the 650. It sounds more aggressive, powerfull in my ears. More impressing than on R3E.

The AMG GT3 sound is not bad at all. But this one i can not compare :)

10. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I dont think the game is pricey anymore,used to be but now u can buy the whole game for 65euro,u can race at some of the most popular classes and tracks with 10 euro.The problem is its confusing,there are 3 different places to buy raceroom content(btw steam store is totally outdated)you need to spend time to learn about it or else you can lose money.People dont want to read the small letters they want to fire up the game and drive.I refuse to believe this confusion is welcome.
    The 3 new packs are a huge step for simplifing the buys.Another confusing part is having to go to a different site to buy vpr to have the best value for ur money.A suggestion is to have a big label at raceroom.com that says: buy the whole game for 65E,that redirects at the vrp packs

11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    It's been a necessity for a long time. Now we have 15 (soon to be 18) different GT3 models spanning different generations of competition, each car with a couple of pages of liveries to choose from... it's getting difficult to have a realistic looking GT3 race.

For such a simple feature it's taking a very long time to come to fruition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Sound in AC is a mixed bag, some cars are very good, most are averake standard/okay, a few are terrible. Raceroom in general has all its sound on a generally higher niveau, only some AC car sounds can keep up. Point for RR.

Driving, Raceroom has an overdose of grippiness in most car classes I use, partly due to the simulated objects (series race cars which are designed to have as much grip as possible while still being faster than sports and street cars and their inferior tyres), partly due to different physics engines. AC imo has the edge there, clearly. Point for AC. It simply offers more complex dynamics, putting it this way in lack of better words.

Also, cars of one class, say GT3, in Raceroom are more close to each other in individualy driving characteristics and driving feeling, than cars in AC's as big GT3 rooster, where you have a wider span that allows more qualitative differences between the cars. Switching between cars in Raceroom'S GT3 feels not too differently, switchign cars in AC's GT3 can make huge differences. Only some cars modelled in both sims remind in their driving characteristics of their pendant in the other sim. Point for AC. In AC I can recognise most GT3 cars by the way they handle. In Raceroom I cannot, except maybe the rolling powerbrick, the Merc (which I suck with in both sims... :D )

Individual hardware settings by players (axis reaction of controls, FFB preferences) also have a general influence that should not be underestimated.

Enjoyable are both driving experiences. Raceroom gets the better race-as-an-event aspect done, so point for it. AIs feel and do differently, but are on same levels, to me at least. Points for both. Car modelling both interior and exterior, is AC terrain again. Point for AC.

A close call, but 4:3 for AC until here. Better default track pool for Raceroom and better moddability for AC adds both one point each. 5:4 . That imo is too close a result as if one should chose between the two. And so I play both, and its pleasure.

Oh. Raceroom has Suzuka. That gives it one big extra point: 5:5 :D

13. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    In AC i always feel like driving on soap.

I dont know if its because i have not set up my FFB correctly or because of my car set up.

But driving is not so much fun in AC like in R3E. R3E feels defenetly more realistic. And i drove much on racetracks with multiple cars.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen!

15. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Du könntest mir ja mal ein vernünftiges GT3 Setup für AC zur Verfügung stellen ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I only care for tyre pressure/temps, and fuel, and brake pressure. The rest - you do not want me to mess around with the rest. Really. You just do not want that. :D

17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    As for a simple look-to-apex feature :rolleyes:...not everyone is keen on having VR at the time or needs triple screens to enjoy simracing (while triple screen has nothing to do with the effect I'm looking for and this eye-something-webcam system is not my cup of tea - keep it as simple as possible is my motto :) )...
    As I had to race GTR2 again (due to temporary inet limitations) it was so nice to have that feature again - it not only simulates a correct view regarding corners/apexes but also gives you a good visual feedback regarding the car's behaviour in general.
    So what's up with that @J-F Chardon or @Sonat Ozturk ?
    Guess I'm asking for it for at least 3 Years :D

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @Fairman - I agree. Don't use look-to-apex myself but it should be available for those who do. Similarly, lock-to-horizon can be achieved via text file edits but this functionality has yet to become available in the game's user interface.