Windows 10 performance with RRE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oliver Augst, May 11, 2015.

1. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    okay man, sorry I can't help any more...I'm running a TV at 1920x1080, that will go virtual at 2560x1440 and it's fine....

is it the resolution in your video settings in game you changed to make sure it's set correctly, sorry to ask such silly question but it can be easy to miss stuff?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Loxley Schumokkonen

Loxley Schumokkonen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    one more question, is there a shortcut to the settings menu? with the shown screen - I can't figure out how to get to the settings. I can figure out how to get a race to start, see the race settings - see the video is set to 2560 x 1080. I can't get to the video settings to change. Just curious if there is a shortcut to the video settings

3. Loxley Schumokkonen

Loxley Schumokkonen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I launched on a 23 inch regular monitor. reset the video settings and flagged 'auto'. Reboot onto the widescreen. Launched the game, adjusted video to the ultrawide - working now

• Like Like x 1
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for those noob questions.. But I'm thinking of doing this change within the next couple of weeks, and want to make sure I don't mess something up. :eek::(

I have read and watched some vids on youtube, and there is talking about upgrade or clean install.
    I'm going to go for a clean install, I want to start off fresh.
    But does this apply only to the OS driver? (seemed like that in one tutorial)
    I'm having three other drivers on my pc that I want to have cleaned as well.
    So in that case, should I do a factory reset of my laptop before the change to w10, or do I make a factory reset once I have upgraded to w10??. I'm so bad at those things.. :oops:
    What is the best way/ways to go ahead with this change?

5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Do an upgrade, activate it then d/load full Win10 iso and do a clean install, should activate automatically and away you go!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well, RaceRoom decided to act up, so I thought I'd post about it.

I went ahead and did the upgrade to Win10, and stopped there to do the clean install when I had loads of free time to do it. A little while ago, RR was getting a little framey and sound was dropping out, and then it threw up a message, something like Lost Connection to Server, and the only option was to drop to desktop. I waited a while to rerun it, and then after a brief loading screen, it popped up with the login screen, and nothing is working. I wondered if posssssibly that RR is undergoing maintenance, or an update is coming, but it looks quiet here.

For those who do a clean install, does Steam reload and install everything?

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Not everything. After a clean install you have to install steam again. After the install is finished you just login to the steam-app and there you have to install every game out of your library again.
    In my case i didn't have raceroom in my library ( I think it is because it is F2P ) - so i've searched raceroom in steam and downloaded/installed it there.

The Settings in the games have to be done again. In case of Raceroom that means that you will lose your Car-Setups. You can backup your "Documents/Mygames/"-Folder before but I would not recommend to use those files after the reinstall again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Why?
    I have made a backup of the cockpit movement in the car content file in Steamapps that I have changed for all the cars, tedious to do that all over again..

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The Config-Files that were initially created were created in an older Version of the game. To get rid of the old stuff it is good to have the new files.
    But for sure - If you have done some special configurations you can use it again and in most cases it works...

10. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Okay.
    So I activate and installed Windows 10, then I have spent the evening doing a clean factory install.
    Now I might have a problem, all semes to have gone right getting W10, Antivirus, Nvidia and steam installed.
    But the pc dont recognise that it's an Asus, no programs of any sort from Asus is on the pc?..
    I actually didn't use em (what I know, if they didn't work behind the scenes) even had some issues and had to delete one program when I first bought the pc to get it work properly..

The question is, will this cause me any issues?
    Should I try to find and install some Asus programs for better performance, or am I better of without them?

Asus Rog G751JY 16G - GTX 980M 4G

11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    If the PC works fine then I wouldn't worry.

• Like Like x 1
  12. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Okay thanks, I cross my fingers! :)

13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    A large majority of the default programs pc manufacturers put on new systems is bloatware Heppsan. Unless you're missing drivers its more than likely OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Just check Device manager to be sure all devices have installed appropriate drivers, some Asus Mobo's require certain software like AISuite to function properly (generally older boards). Just go to Asus site, support, enter Mobo's details and download all the original drivers and software. If all devices are installed under Device manager you should be fine.

15. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    We're talking about a laptop here. Laptop manufacturers sometimes have built in specialties so that generic drivers don't work properly. In these rare cases you will have to install a driver from the manufacturer of the laptop. But as long as you don't have any exclamation marks in your device manager you should be fine in most cases.

Question marks are usually for hardware Windows couldn't find any drivers for itself. Win 10 brings a lot of drivers with it already, so if you're lucky you don't have any question marks. However, especially for the graphics card I'd highly advise you to install the latest GeForce drivers from geforce.com.

In heppsans case we even have a special high end gaming laptop. In this case it might be possible that you will need some ASUS software to get access to certain functionality. Gaming laptops can be a bit fussy in this matter sometimes. ;) Not necessarily, but maybe.

So I would advise you to go to the ASUS website, look after your laptop within the products and see if there is something you either need or would like to have. On the product page you will find a link to service and support where you will see categories for drivers, faq and a manual download.

If you have a question mark in your device manager and you have no idea what hardware this is, Windows couldn't find a driver for, a good way is to google the hardware ID that you find in the device manager for this device. The results will most probably give you a hint on if this is a soundchip or a WIFI chip or whatever. Then you can go to the ASUS service and support and download the driver for this distinct type of hardware.

16. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I can't find any question marks in the device manager.
    But my first thought was so that I don't lose any performance or gaming advantages / features not having any Asus programs / components left on the laptop.

I have tried R3E after the change and I do actually have a small decrease in performance, not much but it's there. (also slightly longer loading times)
    And do to the clean install I had expectations of getting an increase.. .:(
    The only difference besides the Asus things is that I didn't install Steam on the OS Driver. (was preinstalled there when I first got it)
    Never had games on that driver though.

17. Nigel Fox

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I had an issue when I did the clean Win10 install. RR behaved very strangely. The G25 wheel was jittery as if the road was completely bumpy, and the bots seemed to have trouble getting around the track, driving almost as if they were experiencing this too. It was pretty late when I tried it so I had to go to bed. Tried it the next day after having Steam check the game file integrity, and it improved it a lot, plus it seemed that Windows was tuning the game as it ran, so that the wheel jitter is just barely happening, although it is constant.

But with the longevity of the G25 motor in mind, is there something I can do to "reset" the wheel, like checking or deleting some .ini file or something I can do? I thought for a minute that I could turn down/off a Road Feel parameter, but that's in the sound controls.

18. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    My energy settings was re set to balanced, changing this to performance again made it as it was before on R3E.

On a side note though, I went from 60 to 120 fps on Mad Max with high setting!
    So it most have had some sort of positive effect on my system regarding other games at least. :)

19. Nigel Fox

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well, heppsan's experience means that when RaceRoom is finally optimized, it should work wonderfully on most systems!

In regard to my issue above, it seems that turning Steering Rack down to 0 fixed that.

20. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Just had a really weird thing happen!
    When I turned on the gaming pc it didn't load up windows, the screen flickered between a black and some weird looking white screen with some black and rolls of film on it??.. . :eek::confused:

After some reboots and closing opening the screen made it to finally load up properly, but don't want this to be the new start up procedure! :(
    Was working fine last night and earlier today.

Anyone who knows if windows have released a broken update?
    One thing I already hate with w 10, is that it's not possible to cancel the downloads and installations from windows update!.. . o_O:mad: