Windows 10 performance with RRE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oliver Augst, May 11, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Happened again just now..
    But this time after some flickering windows loaded up by itself.
    Then got an error message that my latest Nvidia driver has stopped working and been reset.
    Then it reinstalled the drivers and restarted as normal.

Can it be a bug with the latest Nvidia Drivers?

2. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I've had a lot of crashes from the 355.82 NVidia driver. Less than the previous ones but still enough to be quite annoying. Seems to happen more often after very long periods of non-use or during updates for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I decided to go for the update. Clicked on the update icon over 3hrs ago a window came popped up that said "please wait" and of course the little spinning wheel. Been like that ever since. Is this normal or could something be wrong?

4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    How old is your rig?
    My old pc took longer than my new one, but I don't think it took that long.
    At least not with the upgrade, the factory reset on the other hand took about 10 hours on my old pc..

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Something's wrong or you're still using a dial up modem. Just upgraded gaming PC to Win10 (upgraded two others weeks ago without a problem) what a nightmare, little tip if you use a nVidia gpu and more than two screens you will need to install the drivers as administrator else it's not going to work, you will only get option to span 2 monitors. Also having a nightmare with my G27, keeps asking to make a new profile in game and losing connection to pedals (decided to do it on start line last night, apologies for the carnage I caused but what can one do?), all in all it has been more aggro than anticipated but having installed Microsoft OS's since the old 3.1 days I've had far worse to deal with. The first incarnation of the wonderful Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix on Win95 you used to have to write your own sound driver! :eek: so fancy things are simpler today and we're somewhat spoilt. Just be prepared to come across the odd niggle and Google/Bing is your saviour, someone somewhere has suffered your trauma and been good enough to supply the fix for all, bless 'em all!

6. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, after about 5hrs I closed the window and re-opened it and it show a setup screen. (Not very inspiring) Didn't have time to run it by then so I've scheduled it for noon today.
    We'll see what happens.

7. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I bought a new computer and it had Windows 8.1 installed. I was getting fantastic frame rates (at least for me) in all games (R3E included). 70-80 FPS. Did the upgrade to Windows 10 and frame rates are down into the 30's and 40's. I've tried both AMD drivers (beta and regular) and my frame rate is still not great. Should I go back to Windows 8 or is there something I'm missing?

8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure that there is something missing... Is r3e the only game with lower framerates? Have you done just the upgrade or followes by a clean install?

9. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Haven't made the switch for my gaming or HTPC...

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Upgraded the gaming PC to Win10 this weekend, didn't affect frame rates but I very nearly lost the will to live!
    Have had RRE crash a couple times (didn't once on Win7) and loading screen times have trebled. Most graphical problems are GPU Driver related rather than Win10, my nVidia driver regularly stops responding but Drivers are updated more frequently I change my underpants these days so I expect things to settle down in the not too distant future!

11. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much most all the games lost a few FPS (15-20). I know an R9 280 isn't the best graphics card but it was singing in AC, R3E, F1 2015, and PCars on Windows 8.. I've got my Windows 7 key from my MacBook so I'm tempted to just put it on there and call it a day. I didn't do a clean install just the upgrade.

12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    What pisses me big time is that MS tries to foist W10 on W7 users by making the x-GB download for it part of the ordinary monthly update queue. You have to manually disable that update, just deleting it will have it being downloaded again. people not too familiar with proper Windows installation maintenance also may do the wrong thing when the update then asks what to do. One click, and you have this damn thing on the the HD.

MS will hate me, but I plan to keep W7 for quite some longer time to come.
    Everything that I read about W10 tells me that it was prematurely released, is not polished, and a data-kraken, you cannot even reliably switch off all channels it collects data from you, even if you go beyond just the user interface: because comfortably MS seems to have not documented all the intended leakholes. Access gets enforced, whether the user likes it or not, knows it or not. You get owned, in principle. . Its quite possible that when W7 reaches the end of its lifetime I will get two platforms then: one disconnected from the web with W7 for gaming, and a small notebook with Linux for internet surfing.

Of course that will kill all games that depend on constant internet connection. MP not being my interest, loss of MP is no concern, however.

I'm pissed by W10, really, and big time so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I was going to update to win 10 today after reading here I'll just leave it for now.:)

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Well - i have the r9 280x and it runs better on win10 than on win7.

I would prefer a clean install if it isn't to much work. You can download the media creation tool directly from microsoft. And then just insert the media and do the install. Remember that every data on the installation-drive will be deleted.
    During the install you will be asked for a key - simply ignore those questions.

15. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'll give that a shot. I'm getting a GTX970 and a 256 GB SSD installed in it tomorrow so I was planning on clean installing Windows anyways. Thanks!!

16. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    One more question. I've done the upgrade on my computer, but tomorrow I'll be doing a fresh install with a new SSD and a new Video Card. Will it allow me to upgrade being that it will be installed to a new drive and a system with a different video card?

17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    All I can say is, I've had no trouble at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK, no. Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 you can't install any new PC component without loosing a license.

• Like Like x 1
  19. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The one that matters is the motherboard.
    You can change pretty everything else without loosing the activation.
    Someday the system drive was also part of the activation process, but AFAIK it's no more the case and only the MB that count.
    You can change video cards, CPU, RAM, etc... not a big deal at all ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    To be 100% sure, the simplest thing will be to upgrade your components before doing the fresh install.
    If you do so you'll be 100% sure that Windows is activated, then you can do all fresh install you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1