Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, May 31, 2018.

1. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    but i think we can all agree that more camera options would be a good thing :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    View setup menu options that are there now, have nothing to do with LTH. ;)
    LTH means that if the car enters a steep turn, like on an oval or at historical Monza, on a 2D screen you will see the horizont line not leaving the horizontal, but the cockpit instead will bank, and shake. Without LTH, the car cockpit will be stable in the horizontal, and the horizon line will bank, and all environment will shake and rattle as well if going over rough ground or a bump.

In VR this has the effect that if you have no LTH, you see the whole world shaking and vibrating and banking, and this is a risk regarding nausea, and makes the image quality loosing sharpeness - the little there is in currently VR headsets. The image vibrates and moves far too much. Thats why many players, very many players, prefer to have LTH in VR, so that their view at the world is calmer and more stable, and instead the cockpit cabin shaking and rolling.

In real life, the brain filters out such things, like it also filters out change of colour of sunlight over the going of the day, and more. The brain "cheats" us. Additonally, in real world, you bend your neck to the left and right and your boidy comoensates bumps so to add stability to your viewing. That is LTH. Withgout LTH it is as if you get stripped on the hood and your head gets fixiated to the car frame and you cannot move your head for one millimeter. You then will fell and see every small vibration of the car frame. Totally unrealistic. That is not how drivers perceive the ride.

The FOV and the other three or four options there are in the View menu of ACC 0.2 have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with LTH.

On 2D monitors it may be taste and individual preference. In VR, LTH for most players is essential.

That RR still needs players to use workarounds for getting LTH, and reusing it again after every time a new car got added, I take a bit queer, I admit.

See here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...movement-for-vr-users.7484/page-2#post-142759

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Lock-to-horizon on/off side-by-side comparison:

Does not look like a big thing. On 2D monitors, its taste and preference. But in VR, it is a decisive issue.

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    My remark was about RHM (for AC and rF2) as an answer to Thomas Janssens post.
    But I agree with all you are writing here. On my triple setup I need LTH as much as any VR player.

5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Is our brain capable to compensate a roll-over?!

As @Fanapryde and @Thomas Jansen already stated, the reality is between fixed cockpit view and LTH - called RHM. But in addition even RHM maybe isn't the answer for sensitive persons as it might still cause nausea. So well - as always, a slider or several options for that would be the only correct answer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    God bless the slider

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I want to see what I would see, in some sims you put the brakes on and can only see the road, what tosh, irl you would keep your eyes on the horizon. If the sim holds the horizon then you can make your own head movement as required. Having ones view bounced around whilst you sit still is totally unnatural and makes me want to vomit thinking about it. Have no problem being bounced about but without a focal point, how the hell does anyone control a car going full chat through the valley's of Wales?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Uuuuh, thought with VR support I could apply my Headtracking Device as well....or did I miss something ?Like being used to VR it's quiet boring to drive with that lame, static Cockpit View.....:rolleyes:

10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    If he hasn't, I could make you one of those if you supply dimensions

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    SSRG made 5 of them to go with ordered wheels. Hey may/may not start producing more.
    If it helps, here are the dimensions of the Neutrik chassis mount.

[​IMG]

The plate I got measures about 6 x 6 cm (not really important I think, just needs some space for the Neutrik).
    Edit: the two mounting holes for the rig are m6, the plate is 4.5mm tick.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  12. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    OK, no problem. If there's enough interest I'll make some

13. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Wow, did a quick race in VR with the tweaking of sharpness. Looks really good in Helmetmode. Shaking of the net and the head is really great. Looks damned realistic. Sound sets the scale on a new dimension. Breaking and downshifting...what to say...abartig.

Drove the Lambo in Misano. Looking forward to the next step with Paul Ricard and the beloved M6

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    You can count me in

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I was first shocked by the look of VR, but later found to play with sharpness and AA (FXAA needed to avoid ghosting, making things look a bit worse again, "temporal" would look better). Environment looks a bit crispier now, but still: I hope it gets better in future releases, its not yet on AC's or RR's level.

Anything except sunny weather also is extremely blue-ish. A real depression-generator. :D

The lighting in night driving however works very impressive at Misano, better than Nürburgring.

16. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Someone may well regret that offer
    Maybe a quick mention over at RD will bolster the interest in this, no quicker way, love a gossip over there! :D Open the market a bit, I'm guessing it's some sort of fixed extension for a DD wheel or the like, small market to start with. May as well make it worth your while! ;)

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I prefer having Alex sitting at the computer and tweaking physics, to be honest. :)

18. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    For sharpnes: I don't know if you've seen the hint from GamerMuscel in the following Video starting at around 2min. It's not what should be needed for a final product but for EA maybe a workaround.

19. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I added this, looks amazing:

[ConsoleVariables]
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
    r.TemporalAASamples=4
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
    vr.PixelDensity=1.4
    r.SeparateTranslucency=0