Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, May 31, 2018.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I find Jan Seyffarth entertaining and fun to watch, but I would not take his assessments of simulators as a gospel, for he all too often in past videos showed and said something that indicates that he does not even know all profound basics of how to set up a simulator correctly, what options there are, I mean he has made some claims on titles that implied details and features that simply were wrong. Not in bad intention, but that he is a pro driver in reality does not necessarily mean he is is an expert in computer simulators.

Which is probably true for many pro drivers. I like to hear their feedback, but I do not take rit as more than that as long as hey do noit beef it up with numbers and measurable stuff. Which is where pro enginerers come into play.

Marco or Aris , years ago, told a nice story about AC1. They had some pro driver of a factory team who came with some engineers, and testing his own race car in the simulator, AC1 at that time. He drove a while, then stopped and started to criticise how bad the car felt, and that it did not do what he expectd, and when he did this in the sim, the car did not what he wanted, but instead did that. And Aris, physics expert of AC, sat there and became silent and felt his courage declining and reflected on what he did wrong and that he really had messed it up, and he realyl felt bad and ill. To his great irritation, he said, he then saw the engineers sitting at the table - widely grinning. :D The driver finally was finished, said an angry goodbye, and left, apparently unimpressed. And then the engineers explained what really had happened. They said that Kunos had done everythign right - and that the driver complained about exactly the same things under the same conditions in the test run with AC that he complains about in real life with the same car in real world driving, and that Aris should not take him by his wird but should take this as a compliment, for they had nailed the characteristics of the car so precisley that the driver complained for the same reasons about the same issue that he complains about in real life - that good the simulated car was in representing the real car.

That is probably the most complimenting story about any race sim - and the most funny one - that I have ever read somewhere! :)

Also, you can find a many competent authors' statements on AC that say exactly the opposite about ACC than others who criticise it, and that it is the best representation of driving under wet conditions ever done in a computer sim so far, and... and... Personally I can identify myself very much - but not completely - with the few videos on AC1 that Empty Box did, and regarding ACC: Chris Haye. He is very pro ACC (while his favourite sim seems to be iR, if going by the number of his videos), obviously, but I understand what he gives in reasons and how he describes the cars - and I would say pretty much the same things. Also, he shows easily how brilliantly the sim can look like already now. His videos prove many people wrong who claim the sim always is" not smooth" and looks "awful" and this and that and blablabla. I linked some videos on earlier pages, see yourself - and then say its not possible. :)

There are two blog entries on the Bentley and M6, written by Aris, that explain the cars and their technology and characteristics in depth, in the ACC main forum section. And like Alex of Sector3, he has real race car experience and holds one - or two, I forgot - class licenses. I think both guys know what they are doing, and what it should feel like. They just work with different engines that have different limits and allow different degrees of freedom, probably. Considering that ACC has a huge time advantage over RR now, and considering what was to be read in Aris' complex explanation of the physics engine in one dedicated blog entry, it is safe to assume I think - and just fair - that ACC has the most modern and further developed engine. Some of their values they include are once again business-firsts, like several variables in use with AC1 were as well back in that time.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I have a real Phoenix R8 GT3 driver here on the rig as well. A real TCR driver and a real M235i Cup driver.

Seyffarth drives with standardsetups. Any question?

3. Rends

Rends Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Skybird. Yes ACC has stunning graphics but I’m with Gamermuscle here. It looks great from external view but in cockpit view there is something crispyness missing if you watch at objects further away.
    Hope this can be fixed/solved in later versions.
    Wonder also what ACC will be in the future. If it’s only blancpain it could be booring after a while because of limited cars and tracks. Maybe it evolves into a AC2 or a different game wil be released as AC2 using ACC technology,who knows. Guess it depends on sales numbers.
    About the big time advantage over R3E. Georg said that they will watch carefully how the unreal engine will work in gtr3 (and i guess they check ACC frequently too). If it works in gtr3 than they could incorporate it into R3E in the future.
    It’s sad that EA doesn’t license the frostbite engine. For me the engine with the best graphics and sharpest images.
    The current games iracing AC1 R3E ect. Have all very sharp images. Would be sad to loose it just for effects.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    To be fair, he always mentions it because he wants to test the base before he changes something. And to better compare he treats every sim the same in this case.

He also just said that it is too easy to save the car. And in many situations he had no problem to save the car in ACC, you would've no chance to save it in reality.

5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I almost completely know it only from VR, cockpit. Thats what I am interested in. However, when I did a few laps in 2D, it was okay to loo at after some cnages in the graohcis options. And the videos at youtuibe really show how stunningly good it cna look already now, namely Chris Haye'S videos.
    Sales numbers decide it, yes. Marco said they are not making plans becasue they have all rsources set into wiorking towards 1.0, but he said that once they are done they will also evaluate whether it makes economic (=fincial) sense to release DLCs with car and track packs, but then likely focussing on some theme or series racing. But this is completely uncertain right now. Thgey have work to do, and tight timetables due to their current series license deal - no time for dreaming.

I made the time advantage argument with the physics engine on mind in the first. But it is of course true for other tehcncial aspects as well, it already starts with dirX9 versus dirX11. Personally I find the current RR graphcis still satisyfying, and indeed very nice. But I have licked blood when racing in the rian and especially in the night in ACC. Paul Ricxcard and Misano look better at night, dawn and sunset than in dalyight. In VR at least. The sense of being there, in the cockpit, is overwhelming, for a variety of reasons.

Obviously Kunos currently has some fights with VR in U4E, and I wondered already myself what lessons Sector3 could learn from that. It depends on the outcome. Here is hope that Kunos will find ways to save the problems there currently are. Again, its a construction site, I refuse to already conclude that things will stay like they are. Steffano however amditted that it is difficult to come to their wanted results with this engine, while they also admire what can be done with this engine. The problem is AC had their own engine which was designed to cooperate with the way they wanted to do graqohcis and effects in AC. Now they must do things in a way that U4E demands in order to get a wanted outcome - and this they must learn. They said the engine is powerful, but complicated. It was easier to code with their own engine. - All in all, the biggest grahcial issue I have with the new AC, are the trees and bushes, to me they are too much '"12 years ago". Many other issues people complain about heavily in their forum, for my taste are extremely exaggerated. Well: taste, and priorities. I do not engage much in those debates, it at all.

The issues with VR however probably are a universal issue with the new engine and I assume that Sector3 must prepare to get confronted with them as well. I hope for no losses in functionality, the VR aspect in RR imo works remarkably well, since it has nice results in races on tracks, but also a working menu in VR - with mouse control. Losses from the VR quality we have now I would find hard to accept. Vr in RR as it is now, works nice, very much so. And with lock-to horizon ndicated to come with the next poatch, even the workaround for that is no longer needed. For me VR in RR then cannot get better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Which might be a problem, because that comparison stands and falls with the quality of the default setups. The first thing I do in the Huracan in ACC is changing the brake balance, always, immediately.

Well, I would say that it is easier to save the same car in RR, than in AC or ACC. And very clearly so. Also I recall that in one of his latest videos he said that pretty much ALL sims in his opinion make it too easy to save the car, compared to reality, not just this or that sim.

7. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    He compares nothing with "out of the box cars". Are you kidding me?

One dev makes a adequate standardsetup, the other dev throws the car with nothing in and you realy wanna compare and judge about 2 sims in this way?

IMHO he is a lazy guy, who takes some clicks just because of his name. Sorry, but ask him, if he EVER drove his AMG with an out of the box setup over the ring in real live? This is quite laughable. There are alyways on EVERY car (Cups, TCRs) standard thing you put in before entering the track and look what happens.

The Lambo bounces like a rubber ball, and he mentiones that the car is not holding the raceline? Come on....press X and save your time, watchung such foolish "comparison videos".

One click here, one click there and the Lambo is a completely different car.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Funny here :D

Let's see what happens with ACC in the next month. Until now I'm not too excited. Good but not outstanding.

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No need to mowe that guy down like this. As I said he most likely just is not as well-versed in comuter simulations than he is in real car driving. The setup thing he may not have thought to the end, and as I said, with some comments he reveals that some things about the sims he simply does not know. We all have been there. Heck, he also shows that he has no problem to admit that he knows something not and had just been told by people - he often admitted that in some videos. I do not take his simulator assessments as pure gold, for that reason, but I get well entertained and what he occasionally mentions about real driving and real tracks is something i listen up to, for that is what he does know better than I do.

Live and let live, Eisprinzessin. ;)

10. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    And how!

Then he has to let the fingers from it. He only makes himself important. More important than he is.

If i know something not (and know about this fact), than why i make judgements?

Schuster bleib bei deinen Leisten. Du verstehst was ich meine.

11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Someone woke up with a golf ball under their mattress this morning! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely not.

But what I don't get ist the reason, why someone judges over products (he gave his Shit over PC2 as well) about what he has no idea.

There only 2 answers

1) making money

2) fishing for attention

13. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Ok lets leave it at that, or make a Jan Seyffarth thread, I don't know.
    No Sim is perfect, some things are personal feelings/opinions.
    Everybody just play what you like and let everybody breath. Thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Today I've tried again. Lights are working, when Oppenents are not at "all"
    Buttons are working when alt+tab out of ACC and back in.

But no lock to horizon and no ASW kicks it for me for now.
    The graphics are stuttering the whole time. FPS between 70 and 90. I want to lock with ASW to 45 but it don't work. Now i have very bad nausea and stopped this evening.
    Automatic rotation sensitivity is not working on my Fanatec, too .
    If someone wants to share their graphics settings, that ACC looks good, I will be very happy.

You see: I try.

But for now I say, let's wait for release. Now it's not 20 percent ready. My opinion hasn't changed.

15. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Strg + Num3

Locked ASW 45 smooth as fuck

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Heck, this is one of those cases were I want to yell and kick somebody into the ground. The screenshot of my options I made via Steam and that I originally had posted here, were the 2D game options. I did not immediately notice that. When I did, I wanted to correct that by laucnhing in 3D/VR and screenshooting them again. But it does not work in VR, I just get the background. Also, the way Steam handles the screenshot management, is a comlete ergonomic fail in my opinion, making me wanting to - well, yell and kick somebody into the ground. Take the screneshot below
    20181121231326_1.jpg
    and replace VR pixel density 100 with 170 (=1.7), then it should match my Vr settings, all in all. The screen shows options for 2D again, but I do not play in 2D, the options may or may not work well with 2D. I do not know.

Original post:
    Despite frames set to 90, game locks frames at 45 for me, currently. Smooth, no stuttering, all in VR of course. I have mild ghosting, which is visible only in some situations, but if I use Temporal instead of FXAA, the graphics become blocky and much worse. A few settings I have probably lower than needed, but I wanted to have some reserve as long as the whole VR graphics thing is not optimized.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/50711/what-are-the-keys-for-asw

Strange that I have it locked at 45 and cannot switch it off, apparently. Don't know whether it is due to havign used the above command in the past. But I cannot switch it off anymore, if I had used it in the past. No nausea, very smooth graphics, cannot complain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ctrl+num isn't working on ACC on mine. After shutting ACC off, it works again.

Puhh...

@Skybird don't be angry. Thanks for the settings, will try. But first I have to figure the ASW Problem out. It wasn't a good idea to drive 15 minutes with this stuttering. Oculus is 90/45 fps. Not more, not less, not between.

19. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Have you put the new Codes for VR in the Enginge.ini?

Looks phantastic and i have not one stutter. Why Numpad for ASW dont work...hell... i dont know...have no issue with it. Where are you from LMS?

[ConsoleVariables]
    vr.oculus.pixeldensity.adaptive=1
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.SimpleForwardShading=1
    r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.1
    r.TemporalAASamples=32
    r.TemporalAASharpness=0.8
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.5
    r.SeparateTranslucency=0
    r.HZBOcclusion=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.BloomQuality=2