App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Right fellas,

I'm having a bit of a catchup on the many many driver name requests. I've been through those google docs I made available and queued up all the outstanding usable names from these - this list is about 200 names long so far. I've 'closed' this spreadsheet for now, so I know where I'm up to.

There have been some PMs and and email requests for names too. I'd like to add these names as well, but in order to do this i need some help....

If you added your name request(s) to the google docs spread sheet then you don't need to do anything - your name should be included (and it'll help me if you don't request it again - I want to avoid recording duplicates).

If you've requested names over email or PM and haven't added them to the Google docs spreadsheet, you need to request them again *in a specific format*. To ease the pain of doing this and automate it as much as possible, I need names in the following format:

pronunciation *%* actual name to record *%* in-game name

The *%* characters are separators that my code will use to sort out the file naming and names.txt entries. Including them will make my life much (much) easier. The white space between the text and the separator characters can be tabs or spaces (my code will strip it out).

The pronunciation column is 'how you say the name' - for example, for the name "jens" this column would have "yens", for the name "jim" it would have "jim", for the name "mueller" it would have "muller" (or maybe "mooller" or something [​IMG]).

The name I record should be a surname if possible, but it's essential that it can be recognised from the in game name. Here's a few examples:

Sted-ay *%* Stede *%* Stede
    Kremer *%* Kremer *%* Karsten Kremer
    Frankonia *%* Frankonia *%* FreeFrankonia
    Beyer *%* Beyer *%* [TKF] Beyer
    Panther *%* Panther *%* Panther7105
    jogger *%* jogger *%* Porschejogger
    Ray *%* Ray *%* TommyRay
    green troll *%* greentroll *%* Greentroll
    Haltinio *%* Haltinio *%* Haltinio
    mclaren *%* mclaren *%* mclaren445
    Rothstein *%* Rothstein *%* Marcel_Rothstein
    mukkel *%* mukkel *%* Mukkel
    brause-paul *%* brausepaul *%* brausepaul313
    spawn *%* spawn *%* cologne-spawn
    zung-e *%* zunge *%* Zunge2
    Sandman *%* Sandman *%* The-Sandman

You can send this in a PM, or email me. I'll do my best here - no promises, I have a lot to get through and will prioritize the request for league / groups of names which I've already received (and not done anything with).

This is a new approach for me, so there may be complications [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I cant remember if i added my name to the spreadsheet have you got a link to it?

3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
  4. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify - by steam name you mean ingame name in case of RaceRoom?

5. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yes I do, sorry, it was a copy paste job from pcars. Good spot :)

Fixed :)

6. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
  7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    no, it's all the same app and same set of driver names. The pcars Android app will get more names too, but this is an extra step which I'll do another time. For the PC app it shares all the names with the PCars names

edit.... sorry, if you mean the google spreadsheet then yes, it is a separate spreadsheet

8. Rally-RacingIvysaur

Rally-RacingIvysaur Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Dear @mr_belowski

I am born dead, but using a Cochlear Implantion. I really appreciate your work of CrewChief. However, it is possible to ask a female friend of yours to add a female voice? or maybe you can convert the male voice with some "computer magic" into a female.

Why I ask this? Most hearing impaired or CI-wearing people can't hear low tones, but high-pitches tones, like female are better hearable. I would be pleased if it is possible. I can't just crank the volume up because if causes disortion. Meanwhile I will try my best to adapt to the voice. I can hear "right", "Look out" and/or some numbers of the time, and some more.

Thank you for reading,

Ivy.

9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    By now the number of files has grown into the thousands, one reason why I couldn't keep up with mr_b and create the oldschool addon.

I'm not answering on mr_b's behalf but I guess it would take him too much time to do this, he seems to have enough to do as it is.

However, if you're interested in doing this "computer magic" yourself I could show you how it's done using free software (audacity), then all you'd have to do is put in the effort of going through all the files and changing the pitch/tone so they suit your needs.

It's really not that complicated, so if you're interested and willing to put some hours into the task pm me and I can create a filter that you could apply to all the files yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I also have a little C# command line utility that copies all the many sound files to a single folder (renaming them as it does so), which can then copy them back to the 'correct' folder structure afterwards. This allows Audacity filters to be applied to a single folder, which is much less painful than having to do it to each of Crew Chief's many many sub folder separately. But Christian is correct - I really haven't got the time to re-record the sounds. There are many thousands of them, sorry fella :(

I'm cooking up an update over this weekend, should be available 'soon'. Will fix some tyre heat reporting issues for the cars with newer physics, add a couple of voice responses, and fix a couple of bugs.

I've also recorded another batch of drivers names, which will be available via the auto-update process soon.

I've also been playing with the personalisations ("prefixes and suffixes") and have recorded a few more. If your first name happens to be ... Anth, Ben, Chris, Christian, Dan, David, Des, George, Ian, J-F, Jim, John, Juan, Louis, Mark, Matt, Mich, Neil, Nick, Nils, Peter, Rog, Sam, Sascha, Stefan or Tim then the app can call you by name if you want it to.

To make this work, download this zip file: http://crewchief.isnais.de/Personalisations.zip
    Inside are name folders, and in each of these is a "prefixes_and_suffixes" folder. Copy the one of your choice to /[user]/AppData/Local/CrewChiefV4/sounds/

so the .../sounds/ folder contains the driver_names, fx, voice, and the new prefixes_and_suffixes folder. Restart the app and it should occasionally combine these with regular messages for a more personal touch :)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jim, this sounds very useful indeed, would you be willing to share it? The copying to one directory I was able to do with dos commands, but not the copying back into the subfolders.

12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Sure, will upload it somewhere in the next couple of days

• Like Like x 1
  13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Great, cheers for that.
    With this at hand I'll definitely do an updated version with my oldschool filter, unless sb else already does sth similar.

14. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    In the mean time, I'd appreciate some honest feedback on them personalisations :)

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not that keen on hearing me name all the time, but I'll give it a try and use "J-F" instead. That way I can feel like a Belgian VIP for once. :D

16. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Its not all the time, just occasionally

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It does sound like a nice touch, don't get me wrong.
    It's just that hearing my name vocalized is somewhat strange to me, usually only hear me mom saying it. And even then it's like being back in school, when every time I heard my actual name I was in some kind of trouble. ;)

18. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Well I *am* your crew chief, which is a bit like being your mum. And I expect you're hearing the 'stop being shit' messages a lot, so you're also being told off. So it's perfect :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You're right, Sir....Ma'am....confused. :D
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I did a audi tt race with 4 people in it and came in 4th. The app said "Well that was a waste of f**king time". I laughed so hard. Just installed the new update, so I haven't tried it out yet.

• Funny Funny x 3