Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Give me the name of the real world racer who advertise the AI in the R3E as the reflection of the real world actually! :)

2. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    it is hard to Say. But most of my crashes with ai are my own misstake. Iam not fit enough for the Car on this track. Yes the Ai is very aggressive. The ai do not decide to stand back or let go for some rounds. They allways and only push! Perfect Ai for Wtcc and DTM. Well i guess not even aggressive enough. We have to remember we talk about racing. We talking about limits on brake and speed! Accedents happend. Everthing happend on top limits.Watch online stream race leagues. The only reason why they dont crash is simple. The driver decidet to stop attacks and give more space between the cars. Well and then there is DTM and WTCC. Watch real or the streams vrtm and vrtcc. They are awesome and do well. Both, real and virtualracing there is notvone race with more then one pushing out. Sevel accidents in a season. Thats mens raceworld. My Car, my Cup my road everthing else get pushed away for girls and boys with to much momy gens, watch f1,

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I do have some issues with the AI in Raceroom, mostly related with AI cars driving right into me at full speed because I slowed down for some reason, even though they came from far away and should have had plenty of time to react, and other times related with AI cars coming right beside me and push themselves against my car, trying to muscle me out of their way, when it was them that drove into my line rather than the other way around.

That said, I think all of this has already been discussed and hopefully AI updates will eventually come, so I'm mostly posting to suggest Sector 3 to add an AI variation slider, which is now pretty much a standard in every other sim.

This I feel it's essential to have an AI race resembling an actual true to life (or true to online-racing life) race. Plus, it makes everything generally more fun, to be able to spread the AI ability in such a way as to have some cars much slower and some way faster, in my opinion. This way, if the AI causes me to spin and lose positions, at least I would still have some slower cars to play with at the back of the grid, which means I would hit the restart button less often :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AI needs to not just drive into the side of you if you are on the racing line - simple! So frustrating - they just try to move over to the standard racing line if you are there or not. Basic stuff guys - check for car alongside AI car...yes? DONT DRIVE IN TO THEM. Is this hard to comprehend or something??

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Hard to comprehend, No. The AI are being looked at and slowly being sorted. Until I started as a bettester I had no idea how difficult it was to fix one thing without influencing something else, and usually not in a good way. The comments on here are always being monitored by the staff so rest assured it is being addressed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    @Paul Darke
    Is it still useful for you guys to show a video where the AI rams into you? (FR X17 at Spa)?

7. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of the agony stems from the exaggerated 'pinball' effects of contact with another car. At the moment just rubbing shoulders or bumping the car ahead can cause the player to ricochet out of control.

I've read this is intentional (sorry if I'm mistaken) as an attempt to discourage online idiots, which is a noble aim, but I think it punishes the regular player more than it deters 1st corner heroes.

I wonder if lowering the damage threshold might achieve the same end? At the moment, even in 'get real', you can bounce the car off walls as if they weren't there. Crashes that would ordinarily put a car out of a race are mere annoyances with no consequences.

If the player (and A.I.) was made much more susceptible to damage might that not be a fairer and more realistic solution than the exaggerated effects of contact?

• Like Like x 1
  8. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    i would love a realistic damage System. Even when it means race is over. Overall we decidet to play a Sim, no Simcarde or far worse

9. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I would say that if you have an issue with some cars/track combo that hasn't been up for discussion recently then I would show it at least. Especially if you can replicate it a few times or if it's one track/car class that really sticks out.

Like @Paul Darke said the forums are being read by both testers and devs so if something comes up then we will most likely test it for ourselves too and then report it if needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I have had it only one time, but I have to say that it's only 1 time that I did that combo.
    Maybe, I can test it tonight again, I will see :)

EDIT: It could maybe be useful to have a thread that has a list with reported issues (combo/track), so that we don't lose too much time trying to reproduce a known issue ;)

11. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Henri Puustinen,
    I tried to replicate it. I have never been able to replicate the same thing, only a similar tap (that didn't end badly).
    So, I don't think it's an important issue :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. It's always good to check it out a couple of times to see if it was just a one time thing or a reoccurring issue.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    So, I had a lot of fun tonight with the adaptive AI and FR X-17.
    Apart from 1 problem (and another small one), they are really nice. You think that they will crash into you, because well, you take their line without leaving space and they avoid me!

But, just at turn one of Norisring, they have a tendency to turn into you when you are side to side at approximately the 100m marker. See here (but the FR X-17 is really solid :O). I could reproduce it 3 times and a fourth time which is +/- well reproduced.

Then, you have the last corner at Norisring, where they let you enough space but then they hit the wall...

14. Petty Andretti

Petty Andretti New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Total newb here.

Just bought the Premium Pack yesterday and , while it's fun, very frustrating. Constantly getting rammed from behind. I can't say how much is my fault since I'm not familiar with the AI but having Damage set to OFF is a must until things get sorted out. I'll have to adjust to Braking/Acceleration for myself and the AI.
    I've seen it mentioned to try different cars though I really enjoy GT racing. Was kinda hoping for a modern day version of GTR2...:)

15. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!
    A question, which AI level do you use? And does it happen every time or is it on a specific point?
    If it's on a specific point, and you can reproduce it, you can mention it here to help the devs :)

Have fun!

16. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    If your getting rammed from behind, your either braking too soon or you have the AI set too high for your skill level. Try lowering them 5 points
    Next year GTR3 comes out.

17. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure? They indeed said something in February. But, I don't think that it will be the case. If you look at there website, there are still a lot of vacancies...
    I think that since 2010, there are rumors for GTR3. So, I think you don't need to hope too much...

18. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I like to race with AI that is at least a little bit faster than me, as it drives me to improve, and I generally can do it in most other sims without being harshly penalized for it, even if I brake earlier than them. The AI in Raceroom just doesn't give anyone any room to breathe, much less making an error.

On the other hand, I have kinda accepted that it sure should be a very difficult task to solve some of the more annoying issues with the AI without taking two steps back on what can also be so good about it.

Sure, sometimes I give up in frustration after hitting restart over and over because of the AI, but, when everything works, there are moments of absolute brilliance going on. Today I did an awesome 30min race with the Tatuus F4 on Portimão and it was awesome, so much fighting and action going on and the AI behavior trough the entire time was very impressive to say the least :)

But maybe I just got lucky with this race because yesterday I had an opposite experience with the FR US on Laguna Seca, so... I don't know... :eek:

19. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    The thing about the R3E AI is that it is very dependant on having the 'right' level set.
    If you're off by more than 2-3 levels, the racing goes from fantastic to disastrous in a heart-beat.
    Furthermore, the level varies quite a bit from combo to combo. My own levels go from around 98 with FR2s to 118 with the NSUs.
    So you can't assume that because you're running at level 105 with F4s at Portimao, this means you can also run FR US at Laguna with the same level 105.
    Personally, I run Adaptive exclusively, but if you prefer to do it manually do what @GregoryLeo said; adjust by 5 levels at a time until you hit the sweet spot.

And yes, it's a little annoying that the AI is so sensitive. And there are classes in which the AI performs better in than others.
    But work in progress and all that. AFAIK they're working on the AI behind the scenes, although when (or even if) that will result in some sort of end-user upgrade is anyones guess.

It should also be mentioned though, that when you get everything just right, the R3E AI is the most fun sim-AI to race, bar none. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't agree more. That is a big problem.
    I mean why can i do 110 with some car and some only 98.
    Sure i am not that good with all cars, but there need to be a balance somewhere.
    Ai also changes depending on the track. some their are slow and suddenly on same car set and same level of ai they are faster.

The ai skill is competent, That not the problem ..
    Problem is the ramming off the track like you aren't even there and they continue like you just hit a train. And certain cars have that weird auto spin thing going on,
    i know sector 3 are trying to simulate a loss of traction but it's not very logical to get a small contact from a car that is on your left and you start spinning automatically in the opposite direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017